The Drew Barker Diary: Laying a Foundation

diary-barker

2014 UK Football commitment Drew Barker has agreed to do a biweekly diary for KSR over the summer and throughout his senior season about his life, his game, and his mission to bring the nation’s top talent with him to Lexington. Please join us in welcoming Drew to the KSR family!

Hey guys, I’m really excited to share my thoughts with you on KSR for the next year. The BBN has a lot to look forward to.

A lot of people have been asking me why I decided to come to Kentucky. Deciding to come to UK over the other schools was a really tough decision and there wasn’t really one deciding factor, just the fact that if I went somewhere else and saw UK doing really well, and I knew I missed the boat, that would really stink. Also, I know there are a lot of tremendous opportunities after football for Kentucky born quarterbacks, so that’s hard to pass up.

Things are really changing in Kentucky football. I felt the vibe at the Spring Game, which was really what drew it even between UK and South Carolina. I had been there earlier that week to watch practice and it was the first time I got to see the offense for myself, so I liked it, but I was still kind of wavering. I went down there again for a practice on Friday and stayed the weekend. The fan support at the Spring Game was awesome, and that’s how it should be. All of the other big time SEC schools have 80,000 there every week, and seeing how pumped up everyone was at the Cat Walk shows me the BBN can be like that and even better.

hendrix-barker

I went on visits to games when the old staff was there my sophomore year and there was barely anyone at the Cat Walk, so I really didn’t know what to expect, but there were people around the block! It was crazy! People were yelling our names and made signs for all of us. It was unreal, definitely a new side of Kentucky football that I had never seen before. The other guys noticed it too. At the time, I wasn’t really recruiting for Kentucky, but I could tell the other recruits really enjoyed it. It’s really just the new staff. They’re awesome, and they show these guys a lot of love. I could tell by the looks on everyone’s faces that they were enjoying it.

One of the things that set UK apart in my recruitment was that all the coaches got involved. When I would go there on my visits, I literally ate lunch with every single coach on the staff both offense and defense every day, which is crazy. At the other schools, it was mostly just the offensive coaches recruiting me, so I thought it was cool that Coach Eliot, the defensive coordinator, would take the time to recruit me too.

I’m really excited about the Air Raid. On my visit, Coach Brown showed me a Power Point presentation that showed the stats from Texas Tech, Kentucky, and all of the schools that were recruiting me, like plays per game, yards per game, sacks allowed, average yards per game, first downs, every offensive stat you could think of. He had it laid out in a Power Point for me and was just going through and showing stats and after that, he showed me cut-ups from Texas Tech games and all the plays. We spent a few hours in the film room and he showed me everything there was. I’m even going down there this summer to go to camp, which will give me a pretty good head start when I go down there in February to win the starting job.

Speaking of, my goal is to graduate from high school early, go down to UK and compete in spring practice. Fans will be able to see me play in the Spring Game, and I’m going to try to win the starting job. I’m not really programmed to take a back seat, so if the coaches say I’m probably going to redshirt, that doesn’t mean I’m going to take practice lightly. I’m going to go in there working hard and busting my butt to get the starting job, and just in case I fall short and have to redshirt, that’s not a problem because it will give me a year to learn. Johnny Manziel redshirted and he won the Heisman, and if he didn’t redshirt, I’m not sure he would be in the position he is now, so there are some benefits to redshirting, too.

One of the things you may have noticed we’re doing is the @UK2014Class Twitter account. When I was getting recruited, Tennessee and Ohio State had accounts like this to DM (direct message) and tweet at me, and it’s a great way to get the fans to interact with the players. These days, the guys really love having their Twitter feed blow up with love from the fans and it also gives fans a better in-depth look at who we’re recruiting. All the kids we’re tweeting at are top targets. A lot of people think it’s just me going after these guys, but all the commits are hitting up these guys, so it’s definitely a team effort.

barker-recruitslist

Who are we going after? I’m constantly messaging guys, but the ones at the top of my list are Braxton Berrios, a receiver out of Raleigh, North Carolina; Derek Keif, a receiver out of Cincinnati; Artavis Scott, a wide receiver from Florida; Matt Elam, a defensive lineman from John Hardin; Darius West, a safety from Ohio; Stanley “Boom” Williams, an all-purpose back from Georgia…there are so many. I literally have a sheet with all the names of the guys I want to join me at UK. I took a picture for you guys of the sheet with the offensive names, which aren’t in any particular order. I’ve got one for the defensive guys too. I’ve met a lot of the guys during camps and visits, and we’ve stayed in touch. For all the guys we’re recruiting, I’ve watched their film multiple times and researched them and everything.

I try to recruit each player by their position. When I talk to a receiver, I’ll give them some of the stats Coach Brown gave me about the offense, like how many yards per game, how many yards per game we’re trying to get off. The first thing I look at in a wide receiver is a good attitude. Wide receivers kind of have the biggest egos of all the positions, so if I hit somebody up and can tell they’re really egotistical and don’t want to talk or anything, that’s the first thing I notice. Same thing goes for the intangibles, height, size, feet and speed are important too, and obviously route running and good hands. I’ve seen most of these guys we’re going after in person, so I feel pretty comfortable about who we’re recruiting. They’re also really good kids too, which is important.

Early playing time is definitely a big factor for a lot of these guys, and that’s how we can get them. Some of the high profile guys are like “oh man, that’s Kentucky,” but I tell them that I chose Kentucky and I had the same offers as them and it’s really different with the new staff. I’m really trying to push them to visit and see how different things are. I also don’t always talk about recruiting because I know how annoying that was when guys would try to recruit me. I’ll just hit them up sometimes and see what’s up and how they’re doing and things like that.

Let me tell you about the other guys who have already committed to UK. Dorian (Hendrix), the first commitment, is a really cool guy, he worked really hard to recruit me before I committed to UK and is very dedicated to the recruiting others. Thaddeus (Snodgrass) is a beast, and he had a ton of offers from big schools and we’ve been friends for quite a while. Kobie Walker is really cool and big. They’re planning on putting some weight on him and moving him to outside linebacker, but he’s a freak athlete and you can tell by the frame of his body. He’s a great pickup and he’s from Maryland, which has a lot of great players. It would be great to open up that pipeline to the Northeast. Our first O-Line commitment from Jarret LaRubbio was big because they’re the ones protecting me. I’ve been going after him for a while, so I was happy when he committed. Darryl Long, the tight end, is really cool. He’s big and has only been playing tight end for a couple of years, so he’s still learning and it’s already starting to click for him. He’s a freak, and a really good steal for us. Ty (Dubose) is huge. In the SEC, you’ve gotta have big guys like him who are a little freakish on your team, so that’s great for us. They’re all good guys and we’re really laying a foundation for really good things to come.

timmons-barker-fogle
Ryan Timmons, me and Cameron Fogle

I also talk to a lot of guys on the current team like Patrick Towles, Landon Foster, Langston Newton, Jordan Swindle, and a lot of the 2013 commits too, like Ryan Timmons, my buddy Cameron Fogle (who’s walking on at UK), Javess Blue, Jeff Badet, and Alex Mongtomery. We’re already building pretty good relationships, which is good.

One really exciting thing the 2014 commits are doing is taking a trip to Lexington in early June. Unfortunately, I’m not going to be able to join them until the 10th because I’m going to the Rivals 5-star Challenge at Soldier Field. They invited the top 100 players in the country and only chose four quarterbacks, so that will be a pretty neat deal. They’re flying me out for free, which is awesome. I’ll be up there from June 7-9, so I’ll be back at UK on the 10th. They’re having a Saturday Night Primetime Camp for the top targets to come visit, and all the commits are coming down. Mikel Horton is coming down on the 6th, and a bunch of the guys plan on staying the whole week. It’s going to be really cool, and a ton of big time recruits are going to be there. We’re going to have (Stanley) Boom Williams, a top 100 kid and Denzel Ware, who decommitted from UK and I’m hoping will commit back to us. There’s just going to be a ton of talent unlike anything UK’s ever seen before. I’m really looking forward to it.

I’ve got a lot of plans for this summer. Football related, I’m going to the 5-star camp in Chicago, and this weekend, I’m going to an Elite 11 Regional in Columbus at Ohio State. Non-football related, I really like hanging out with my friends, we basically chill. I like playing X-Box, so fans can hit me up on XBox Live, my username is D_Barker7. I like going to Reds games and hanging out with my family and normal teenage stuff.

As you guys may have heard, Darius West pushed his announcement back because he’s got some new offers. I still feel really good about our chances at getting him. I talked to him and I understand where he’s coming from. He just got offered by Ole Miss and Miami (Fl) and he wants to go check out those places. I took a lot of visits too and I’d rather him go see those places and commit to UK rather than have him commit to UK and visit other places and decommit. I feel that once you commit, you should be 100% done.

There’s still some great stuff happening. Today we’re hoping to get some good news from a guy I’ve been after for a while. He’s visiting campus today and hopefully he’s going to commit. I was hoping Darius would also commit on Thursday so we could get two back-to-back and it would put us in the top ten recruiting classes in the nation, but I think Darius will still join us anyways.

Thanks for reading my first diary entry. I’m looking forward to writing more over the next year. Go Cats!

Article written by Drew Barker

87 Comments for The Drew Barker Diary: Laying a Foundation

1. NO MATT JONES
    2:10 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

DREWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2. RickRoy
    2:10 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Man what a great kid! I wish I was that mature in high school. Sounds like a future coach after he wins a couple rings in the league.

3. rose
    2:11 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

I’m just thrilled that you decided to come to U.K., you are the final nitch that our recruiting was lacking a Kentucky boy with enthusiasm!

4. Fivestarcat
    2:12 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Wow… very impressive kid. Seems like a natural born leader.

5. foooosballllss
    2:15 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

get em’ Drew

6. Frank
    2:16 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

This. Is. Awesome.

7. soggyUKgrad
    2:17 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

This. Is. Awesome. Great write-up by an outstanding young man!! I couldn’t be more proud to have Barker as part of the BBN family!! I am most impressed by the amount of self-awareness and humility that he has at such a young age….can’t wait so see him in the Blue & White!!!

8. Mudflap
    2:17 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

What a great post! This kid has it figured out. What a great job by the UK staff on landing Barker and kudos to KSR for getting this diary thing together! I look forward to reading the next one already.

9. DACats86
    2:17 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Wow, impressive! Glad you’re on “our side!” The times are a changing…

10. Impressed
    2:17 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Thank you for choosing UK. Very impressive and obviously a natural born leader! The future is bright!!!

11. Justin
    2:18 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

This diary entry thing for Drew Barker is awesome and i really enjoyed reading it. Looking foward to the future entries to come #BBN.

12. soggyUKgrad
    2:18 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

hahaha…#6, I sent my comment w/out reading the previous entries…glad we agree!!!

13. wildcat813
    2:21 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

14. east ky. cat fan
    2:22 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Drew, for making us forget about that horrible radio show today! Go get em 7!!!!

15. DebbieCat
    2:23 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

This is so great. Thank you for putting this on the site! It is so exciting what is happening, and to see the new attitude coming from amazing players !!

16. Chris Mills
    2:24 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

BTW–KSR staff–it might be a good idea to turn off comments on these entries.

17. Jim In Jamaica
    2:26 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for coming to Kentucky Drew.

18. This Is It...
    2:27 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Don’t mean to shout and I don’t tweeter, BUT…DREW IF YOU READ THIS OR IF SOMEONE TWITTERS HIM THE NAME OF ..JAMAL ADAMS SHOULD BE ON THAT LIST…His daddy was a star here and for the NYG for several yrs. and would sure love to see us kid in on this young man and him follow in the footsteps of his father…

19. UKClay
    2:29 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Hahahaha he is already bolding! Is that a KSR edit or did he do that on his own? Anyway, fantastic post and great to have on the site! Another way of letting fans get in touch, which brings excitement, which recruits see (as Drew and others saw at the spring game), and recruits bring wins.

20. Rockfield, KY
    2:29 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

This is a great read, let’s us in on what goes on in a recruit’s mind during recruitment and how much contact they have with other guys. He definitely is very mature for his age, but you can also tell by the writing that he is still a kid. I can’t wait to have him on the team. He’s definitely a natural born leader.

21. Duuuuuude
    2:32 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

The leadership displayed by this young man from KY is amazing. We are lucky to keep this guy here. I hope this marks the turn of a new direction in our football tradition here.

22. Brent
    2:33 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Great read, Drew! I’m looking forward to reading your insights over the next year. Keep up the great work & Go Big Blue!

23. goUKats
    2:34 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Hey Drew,great read!So glad you decided to become a member of “Stoops Troops.” I am appreciate your efforts in encouraging others to follow you to UK.
    As a long suffering Wildcat football fan.i’m looking forward to your day on the football field and hope you have a great future.

24. James K
    2:36 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

The expression ‘if you have two quarterbacks, you don’t have a quarterback’ applies to UK right now, in my opinion, and Drew seems like the personality type you want at QB. I’m excited about how much he seems to like to lead. You need that. It’s one thing if the kids trying to lead are idiots, but Drew seems like a sharp kid. Anxious to see if this coaching staff delivers.

25. UK2K
    2:37 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

17. That list is all recruits on Offense and Drews mainly talking about kids on his side of the ball. UK has offered Adams but it looks like hes down to Florida and Texas

26. Eric
    2:39 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

“I’m even going down there this summer to go to camp, which will give me a pretty good head start when I go down there in February to win the starting job.”

That is the attitude that you want from your QB, and pretty much every other position. Great post.

27. JDH
    2:39 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew is already the best writer at KSR!!!

28. Sawyer_ward
    2:39 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

That cant be your gamertag.. No underscores are allowed

29. OnOn_UofK
    2:41 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Great read, thanks for sharing, can’t wait to read more.

30. This Is It...
    2:42 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

UK2K..I kind of figured that would be the case with his dad and JP relationship, but hopefully he waits till Feb. to make up his mind and the coaches and the team have some opportunity to impress this coming season..

31. UKfanNKY
    2:42 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew is a class act and great leader i had the opportunity over the weekend to meet him and Cameron Fogle these young Men will be a huge impact for KY Football I would like to thank them both for becoming apart on the BBN thier enthusiam, leadership and will to win is secound to none!! Congratulations Gentleman on becoming a CAT…..GO CATS!!!

32. Old Cat
    2:43 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Awesome post and awesome talent. I expect that Drew will have a lasting impact on BBN for years to come. I just hate to see what the trolls will do to this.

33. Wedding Planner
    2:47 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Impressive stuff. Love the enthusiasm.

I think D Barker is the Jamaal Mashburn of UK football

34. rainman
    2:47 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

As stated above, GREAT read, and thanks very much DREW, for the insight!
    You can’t know how much it will mean to some of us! KEEP IT UP!

35. ThankYou!
    2:49 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the entry and ALL of the work from Drew and the Class of 2014! You guys are going to be remembered for your special efforts in turning this program around!

Looking forward to fall!

36. rick
    2:52 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew, Glad to have you on the team and thanks for all the info. Good kids are every where and i’m glad we got this one.

37. We Hungry
    2:54 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew,
    Man I can’t say Thank You enough to you and the other commits for what you guys are doing to turn this program around. As a life long UK Football fan (26yrs) I’ve seen lows and highs, and the direction I’m seeing this program heading is amazing to me. The attitude you bring to the team and this program leaves no doubt in my mind that we’re heading to the top. I’ll be at all the games cheering you guys on. Keep up the GREAT work Drew. Can’t wait to see you and the other guys in Blue next year!!

38. Tosis
    2:57 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

I thought Drew moved to Chicago? Did he move back?

#2drews

39. Shannon
    2:58 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Mr Barker is already on his way to becoming an all-time favorite of the BBN. Great post!

40. Musehobo
    2:58 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

@13 That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen. Most UK fans will see UL at the top of that list and just know it’s wrong. But when you really look hard into what they are saying, it becomes apparent that a room full of people with less number intelligence than BTI wrote that post.

41. crazycatfan
    2:58 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, DREW!!!

42. Boogie Fan
    2:59 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

This is a huge get for UK and for KSR. Drew is wise beyond his years and really has a vision for himself and the program. I hope he has tons of success here at UK and beyond. This is the type of leadership this team has needed. Glad to see a fellow kid from Boone County do well.

43. Yadier Molina
    2:59 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Really looking forward to watching this guy develop into a top-notch QB. Unfortunately he does have one prevalent flaw… one must question his affinity to the whole “winning” concept if he really is a Cinci Reds fan.

44. jaxcats8503
    2:59 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Barker is a future coach for sure. But, before that, he’s going to be a great quarterback at the University of Kentucky and (hopefully) the NFL! GO CAYTS!

45. RiseUpBlue
    3:01 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

As already stated, Drew Barker is a class act, courageous, and is a great leader. This new coaching staff is doing amazing work, attracting quality type of young men to our program. If you are a Big Blue fan and can’t get excited about UK football you better call your funeral director. In a couple of years we are going to see a completely different product on field. Rise Up BBN, our time is coming in football.

46. Drew Barker
    3:07 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

I’m glad to be here guys. Thanks for all the great comments. #BBN

47. cdc_uky
    3:08 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Nice post! We appreciate the insight and look forward to watching you play. As a graduate of Conner and UK, it is great to see your success. Give Tom Stellman a huge handshake for me.

48. Yo
    3:11 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Wonder if Drew plays 2k?!

49. Rockfield, KY
    3:16 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

41. One thing I like about him is that he’s been a part of the family since before he was being recruited.

50. bluegrazzcat
    3:17 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

You had me at…”when I go down there in February to win the starting job”. As Bart Scott would say, “can’t wait”!

51. Bobb Gunn
    3:25 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Go Reds!!!!

52. Jessdogky
    3:25 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Great stuff Drew! We really appreciate this inside look at UK football and recruiting. Thanks again!

53. CobaltCat
    3:33 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

BOOM!

54. Nick Papageorgio
    3:35 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Not sure if Drew really fits in writing on KSR…WAY too few grammatical errors.

55. Hoptownsbeast
    3:55 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

I love this guy!!! I bet his xbox live is about to blow up. HoptownsBeast is definately sending request.

56. UKmedicine
    3:55 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Glad to have you on board, Drew. Thanks for taking the time to make these posts and thanks for all of your efforts with recruiting!

57. ukfanaticat
    3:57 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Excellent write up Drew! You have convinced me to sign up on Twitter, just to give you guys all the support I can. I will also encourage all members of the BBN to do the same.

58. Jim Harris
    4:05 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

It’s great that we have Barker on board and recruiting for us. However, I remember that we have 3 pretty darned good QBs returning this season. We were very glad to get each of them. Some of these posts make it sound like we had a pile of poop–or nothing–at the position before the Barker commit.

This is a big mistake on our part, my friends. Let’s not make our current three sound superfluous already. We may well end up needing them all again. And whether we do or not, they’re all good young men who deserve nothing but our TLC and respect.

59. 1fan
    4:16 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Just curious, how are they allowed to fly you up for free? Isnt that against NCAA rules??

60. UKFootball!!
    4:17 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew that write up was the best and a very enjoyable read. I often times complain to others that KSR fails to provide enough information as to Kentucky Football but your post erased every complaint.

61. Sherrell Helm
    4:19 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Looks like KSR found one of those writer they ere looking for. What a great job of sharing info. with UK fans.

62. El Guapo
    4:33 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Man, you’re gonna have more Xbox friend requests than you can go through. Agree with previous posters: this is fantastic stuff. Can’t wait to see this guy on the field this fall and then in Commonwealth.

63. TouchdownTommy
    4:50 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Best KSR blog ever! Drew may be the most important recruit in the history of UK football. I love it!

64. Tanks fer Nuttin
    4:52 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Football will soon be THE sport at UK. Basketballl will be a winter diversion. OK, maybe there’s room for both.

65. CJ
    4:53 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Great post Drew!

66. Bulldawg
    5:14 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Nice read. IMO it’s way better than those Q and A’s everyone else does. Great post and I can’t wait to see these kids in action with a staff that will put them in a position to succeed!!!! GBB!!!!! #BOWLBOUND#BBN

67. Preston
    5:36 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

What a great post.. Look forward to reading future one’s! Go Cats and Barker! Stoops Troops!

68. Henry Thomas
    7:31 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

how can you not LOVE this kid! Go Big Blue!!!!

69. Catlogic15
    8:22 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew has “Head Coach” written all over him.
    He’d coach circles around Joker TODAY!!!
    He has the “It Factor”!

70. BBN in MD
    8:40 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

” he’s from Maryland, which has a lot of great players. It would be great to open up that pipeline to the Northeast.”

Don’t let them here you say that, Drew! Marylanders think they are Southerners! Haha.

But seriously, I was already very excited about having you here, but after reading this article and seeing how well spoken and how much you are trying to help, I am even more pumped!

71. Terry Blue
    9:05 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Drew, you can tell by my name that I bleed Blue, and have been a UK fan for over a half a century. Let me speak for the BBN in saying that we really appreciate your loyalty to the state and THE University of Kentucky. Your tireless work on the recruiting front is paying dividends and will continue to do so. We know that we have other good QB’s at UK and I’m sure you relish the competition you’ll confront. We know you’re a team player and will support whoever is starting at QB and all the other positions on the team. So again, thank you much, for all you’re trying to do for your team and the BBN

72. Andy B
    9:08 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Hello – He is coming in February to win the starting job.

73. Tampa Satchel
    9:10 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

I’m curious as to why this post originally appeared at 2pm, then mysteriously got reposted at 8:45pm.

74. shelbycat
    9:10 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

went to school at EKU with his dad and he was as big of a UK fan as you could find not suprised at all by the way he talks. Sounds like a chip off the old block except for ability that is good luck drew can’t wait to see you playing for the big blue

75. MP14
    9:18 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Look forward to reading your posts and watching you play in 2014!

76. nassau65
    9:19 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

thanks to you and the rest of the Stoops crew, CWS should be rockin this year!

77. JoeCat
    9:40 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

This guy gets it.

He will be remembered as the guy that changed ky football (bank on it). Thank you Drew for everything you have done for this program so far and I look forward to seeing you in blue.

78. bigbluetrue
    10:08 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

I have been following UK football for over 40 years and have NEVER been as excited as I am about this young man coming to UK. We are blessed to be getting a kid like Drew Barker. His blog brought tears to my eyes—well written and very insightful. Thanks KSR for making this happen and PLEASE keep this happening. GO CATS!!!

79. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    10:09 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Great job Drew!

80. Willy Gillespie
    10:12 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Isn’t tweeting recruits a minor NCAA violation?

81. BigBlue_Drew
    10:22 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Ok. That was the best read I’ve had in a long time. Thanks so much Drew!! You are and will be loved by BBN!! Damn, I’m impressed!!

82. jaaaaaaayyyyyyyy
    10:24 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Thanks Drew. That was a well-written and informative entry and it is awesome to have you on board as a cat and as an occasional KSR poster now. Great job and you are a great addition to the UK football program. GO CATS!

83. HB
    10:47 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Wow!!! This guy is impressive. He has what could possibly be an insurmountable lead for fan favorite for all the incoming guys (including basketball)
    I really enjoyed hearing the inside scoop on what goes on in the world of football recruiting too. Great read!

84. Tim
    11:50 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

We are so impressed with you Drew! Thanks for the great article and great work you’re doing with the recruits. Good luck and have fun in Chicago!

85. John Smith
    1:42 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

How the Hell did Joker Phillips not even try to recruit this kid??? Thanks a lot for the article and the commitment drew, I’ve been a UK fan all my life and I’ve never been so excited about our football team as I am now.

86. Hahahaha
    9:36 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

Haha your future quarterback has a diary, how cute. I can just imagine this fruitloop running to his diary crying about how Florida and Georgia were to tough and its not fair. Have fun reading diaries and braiding each others hair while real SEC schools are winning BCS bowls.

87. james wilson
    3:27 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

Man… you can tell UK is doing big things… especially when we get ignorant guys hating on UK football…lmao.. thats hilarious.. but aside from that, I am feelin the plan… D-Bark is a different type of kid…. im loven the plan and hope to see it spread on the field… signin off… the guy whos been a Ky football fan since before it was cool…. GO CATS!!!!! #BBN