The Drew Barker Diary: Keeping the momentum going

diary-barker

Hey guys! A lot has happened since the last time I wrote. I’ll start with the Elite 11 Quarterback Competition in Columbus that I went to about a week and a half ago. It was the second Elite 11 I’ve been to, so I felt really prepared for this one since I already knew all the drills and stuff. I did really well and as they were naming off the names of the finalists on Twitter that night, I was really getting nervous waiting for mine to pop up. The next day, I went to the Nike football training camp at Ohio State, and at the very beginning of the camp, we were doing some stretching exercises and one of the camp guys came over, took me out of the drill and said my dad wanted to talk to me, which was pretty random. I went over to my dad on the sidelines and he asked me, “What did you do yesterday? What did you say?”. I told him I didn’t know what he was talking about, and he said that the coaches were really mad at me because they overheard me saying something bad about one of them. I kept telling him I didn’t say anything and was starting to get worried. My dad told me that I needed to go talk to Coach (Trent) Dilfer about it immediately because they weren’t happy.

So, I went over to Coach Dilfer and said “Coach, I heard you overheard me saying something about a coach?” Coach Dilfer said, “Yeah, we overheard you saying that you wanted to come out to Oregon and compete in the Finals. You’re invited.” I was like, “Aww man!” They all tricked me. They have it on film and I didn’t even realize it. It was pretty funny. They told me that I was one of the first quarterbacks they picked that night but they just wanted to mess with me because I was a good kid and they knew I was coming back the next day.

I’ve always wanted to be in the Elite 11 competition because something like 28 of the current 32 NFL starters competed in it and there’s always a lot of big games to come out of it. We just got the playbook, which is about 60 plays long, and all of the plays are NFL style. It’s going to be really fun, and I just need to make sure I memorize all of the plays so I’m ready to go out there and tear it up.

At the Nike Football Training Camp, I met up with Thaddeus Snodgrass and Darryl Long. I was even able to hook up with Thaddeus for a 40-yard touchdown, which should be a good preview for you guys of what’s to come. We were all hanging out and scoring touchdowns and repping UK, which was great. This past weekend, I went to the Nike 5-Star Challenge in Chicago, where I roomed with Artavis Scott, a wide receiver from Florida. I surprised him with a shirt I had made with “Kentucky Football” on the front and his name and number on the back. He thought that was really cool and wore it around a lot. A lot of the guys up there had already committed to other schools, but I talked to Josh Mullins, a 2015 wide receiver from Tennessee and a couple of guys from Texas about UK and they seemed really interested.

“Barker to Snodgrass…TOUCHDOWN KENTUCKY!”

These past few days, I’ve really been recruiting hard. I came down to Lexington after the Rivals 5-Star Challenge on Monday and met up with the rest of the 2014 commitments. It was great to talk to guys like Matt Elam, who is probably our number one priority right now (more on him later). It was also great to see the other commits there and show our love for the program. TV Williams, a wide receiver from Texas, was there, he’s another guy that we’re working on bringing with us. He was great during workouts at camp on Tuesday. He’s really fast, good with routes, and has the speed that will work in the Air Raid offense. It’s really important to have those guys who you can get the ball to and then they’ll take it to the house. Blake Bone was also at the UK camp, and I talked to him a lot, too. Good wide receivers are definitely a priority for us right now.

During the camp, the coaches worked with us one-on-one, which was great. I was able to get Coach Brown and (UK grad assistant) Tyler Sargent’s advice and they said they really liked what they saw and can’t wait to coach me. I’ll be down there a lot for camps and hopefully I’ll be working with them some more. I wasn’t there for the Saturday Night Prime Time Camp, but they guys that were said that it was insane, with 300 to 400 campers. You’ve probably heard how they had music blaring and stuff, which is great, because that’s how most of the major camps do it and recruits really like it. It’s cool, and definitely more of a relaxed, fun environment than UK’s prior camps. The other commits said that seeing how many kids came out to a Kentucky football camp and how improved it was over a year ago was really eye-opening.

barker-elam
Me and Matt Elam

We’re all recruiting really hard and it’s starting to pay off. We pulled in a lot of great guys in the last couple of days. Denzel Ware is a freak athlete. He’s 6’1″, 240 lbs. and can run a 10.9 100 (yard dash), which for those of you who don’t know track terms, would equate to like a 4.52 40, which is outrageously fast and that’s what you need on the outside rushing the quarterback in the SEC. I think he’s a really big get and a really good guy. A lot of people got on him for decommitting in the first place, but you have to remember he didn’t even visit UK when he committed the last time. I think you definitely should visit a place before you commit, and he wanted to make sure it was the right decision for him.

Mike (Edwards) is a very versatile player who can play corner or safety. He can even help out in the return game a little bit if we need him to. He’s got a really good knack for finding the ball and we need those guys in the secondary. He’s got great fundamentals. Darius (West) is really big and strong. He looks like a big time safety. He’s fast, hits really hard, and like Mike, also has a really good knack for the ball. He’s a playmaker and isn’t scared of anybody. He can go head-to-head with the best and he’ll make big plays day in and day out. Having him chose us is big, but it’s also good that he chose us over schools like Notre Dame because the national media and other recruits will see that, and realize how Kentucky football has changed.

2014-camp-barker-elam
Hyped right after the commitments!

I wasn’t there when Denzel recommitted, but I was there when Mike and Darius committed, and it was crazy. I was right next to them, and I knew they were going to do it beforehand, even though Darius tried to pull one over on me. He said, “What would you say if I went to another school?” and told me UK was his number three school, but I knew he was just messing with me. After that, he went into the coach’s office and committed and we all celebrated. There were probably about 15-20 of us in the room when he committed, and everyone starting whooping and yelling. The coaches immediately wanted to take pictures of all of us, which are the ones I posted on Instagram. It was really exciting and we were trying to get Matt (Elam) to give us a commitment, but he’s partnering with the Army Game, so we understand why he has to wait. I’ll be at the Army Game, so I’m going to be right next to him when he announces his decision. Hopefully that decision will require him wearing blue and white! I know he got an offer from Notre Dame yesterday, but I think he had a really good time at UK and wants to stay home, so I’m not really worried.

It’s really awesome to be able to get to hang out with these guys so early on and form friendships. Kobie Walker, the outside linebacker commit, needed a ride from the Louisville airport to campus, so I drove to the airport and got him and then took him back at the end. We’re all really close. All of the 2014 commits and top targets are going to come back to UK in July for the Friday Night Blue Lights Camp, so it will be great to see everyone again.

I don’t know Nico (Firios) personally that well yet, but I know he’s ranked the number two outside linebacker in Florida. He’s really big, like 6’2″, 225, and he runs a low 4.5 almost 4.4 (40-yard dash), which is crazy for a guy that big. We really need guys with that kind of speed in the linebacking corps. They’re going to be guarding the running backs, and in the SEC, those guys run a 4.3/4.4, so that’s a big get. Thaddeus Snodgrass was the one who’s been recruiting Nico the hardest. Nico visited UK this past weekend and Thaddeus told me two days ago he was going to commit, so that was all him. I talked to Nico briefly and he said he’s going to come down with us soon. Having him come on board and push us into the Top 5 was huge because it showed other recruits that we’re not messing around and Kentucky is the hottest team on the recruiting trail right now. To be honest, I didn’t think our recruiting class would ever be ranked as high as number four, but it’s awesome. We’re still bringing in other guys, especially wideouts, who are right on the verge of committing. We’re just working hard every day to keep recruiting and try to keep this momentum going.

What’s next for me? The Elite 11 and The Opening, which is June 28th to July 3rd. Other than that, I’m just going to relax, take it easy, and work on recruiting. Thanks for reading!

Article written by Drew Barker

61 Comments for The Drew Barker Diary: Keeping the momentum going

1. MCaron
    8:04 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Love that you’re doing this Drew. Looking forward to watching you ball out!

2. SheedWallace'sGraySpot
    8:09 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

This is a really cool perspective! Thanks for doing this KSR and Drew. Keep puttin in work young man! Looking forward to seeing you in blue and white

3. Roman
    8:13 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

HOLY. Snodgrass has some wheel on him.

4. JBR
    8:16 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Yes Drew…what #2 said. This is an awesome perspective, and it is obvious you are a perfect representative for UK sports. Keep up the good work, and I really really look forward to seeing you play.

5. Love this!
    8:24 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Probably the best stuff ever on KSR. Love this series.

6. CaliCat5
    8:25 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew! You are making a lot of people proud. Well spoken, good writer and a hell of player. What an ambassador for the BBN. Keep it up buddy. See you this fall.

7. southfork
    8:27 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Great Job Drew! C A T S CATS CATS CATS

8. Stoops Troops
    8:29 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Great post can’t wait til you get on campus and start ballin out on these fools. UK football is legit now and I freakin’ love it #Yahtzee

9. stucknbig10
    8:32 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew, you are a quite a leader. KY football is turning the corner, and you are going to be right there at the top of the list (along with Coach Stoops and the staff) when we look back and talk about who was responsible for it. You don’t HAVE to do things like this, but you realize that it’s only going to help you and help the program attract top talent (and thus help you to WIN). Very smart young man, you will do great things in football and in life.

10. Delk for 3
    8:38 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

How lucky are we to have this kid?

11. Dan
    8:39 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew, thank you so much for your leadership, dedication and character. I look forward to watching you and the rest of the recruits for years to come. No doubt this excitement will transfer to victories on the field. Thank you again, we are all excited!

12. Terry Blue
    8:43 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew, you’re the best! We’re all proud of you for choosing the Cats and what you’re doing to help bring in great players. I know receiver and probably Olinemen are priorities for our remaining offers left. I hope we get some of the best including Braxton Berrios and Matt Elam, who I heard you say were dream or ideal recruits for us in 2014

13. Prediction
    8:45 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew Barker will be a high level coach one day.

14. CatFan27
    8:48 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Great read. Really, REALLY looking forward to seeing these guys on Saturdays.
    Shock the world, BBN Class of 2014!

15. BigBlue
    8:54 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew Barker’s class could go down in history as playing the center piece in turning UK around finally. I hope all those guys can stay committed during what might be a tough season. They don’t much more dedicated than Barker!

16. BBNiner
    8:56 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Ditto the praise for the insider’s insider perspective. Great stuff again. Someone help me out with who the two big fellows on the left in the locker room pic are.

17. bankshot
    9:05 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew is potentially the biggest recruit in UK history. He may not end up being the best player but his aggressiveness in talking up the school to big time players is unprecedented. Keep it up!!!

18. Roy Combs
    9:05 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew, you are already showing the leadership skills that it takes to lead this team to where Coach Stoops wants it to go! Not only that, but at the next level, the game is more cerebral than ever before and you have a great head on your shoulders. I commend you for the effort and work you are putting in to not only recruiting and preparing but sharing your story with everyone. Great insight and great job!

19. calcats8
    9:10 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew barker is the mf’n man!!! BBN all day!!

20. Big Blue Earl
    9:21 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Awesome Post Drew!!! It is so great that the staff and the players are all in this thing together. Staff recruiting players and then those players recruiting more players. Turning in to a nice machine they are building there.

21. Scooby
    9:22 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew Barker= HMFIC

22. Capt
    9:25 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

This young man is amazing.

23. TDog
    9:29 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Can’t say we could have gotten a much better player on and off the field.

24. Stellman's Handshake
    9:39 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Good stuff again Drew. Tks for the recruiting effort…above and beyond!

25. Pooter
    9:48 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

great stuff! sounds like this class is really close… gonna be fun to watch them play for each other. GBB!

26. ukfan
    9:54 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

This kid is too legit, I can’t freaking wait to see him on the field!! the future is bright BBN!!!

27. payton51
    10:01 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

drew welcome to BBN looking forword to your career as a cayt. you posted about elite11 quaterbacks in the NFL hope to see you with the carolina panthers.bring us our first superbowl trophy.

28. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    10:04 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Great post Drew!

29. Dood
    10:22 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

This is great. Love the insight and the enthusiasm. Thank you, Drew.

30. Logan
    10:29 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

You can teach a kid how to throw a football, but you can not teach a kid how to be a leader. Deadly combination of having talent and leadership. Well done Drew. GO BIG BLUE

31. Kentuckrazy
    10:30 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

I continue to be amazed at Barker’s maturity, professionalism, and character. We know he has the ball skills and smarts. I just can’t help thinking that DB is gonna be a star at UK and in the NFL. He is exactly the type of player every coach wants as a player and leader! Big Blue Drew Nation!

32. Unreal
    10:30 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Talent aside, this kid is unreal!! He is a great ambassador for UK and he is wise beyond his years. Keep up the good work Drew!! You are nearing UK legend status and you haven’t played your first game as a Cat.

33. cats99
    10:37 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

This is great post. Thanks, Drew!!!!

34. Wildcat97
    10:50 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew Barker is the classiest high schooler on the planet. Its hard to imagine a guy so devoted to making UK football great again. But if anyone can do it Drew can. Keep it up Drew and #BBN will repay you with all the support it can muster.

35. 03UKGrad
    10:51 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

This is incredibly well articulated for a student between his junior and senior year in high school! I see our not only our football program going up, but our APR as well.

36. Rockfield, KY
    10:52 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Drew is a great player, great teammate, great leader, great person, and hard worker. Also, you can tell he is a UK fan. It sounds like one of us writing it if we got the chance to do what he’s doing. We’re extremely lucky to have this kid.

37. realme
    11:05 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

So glad Drew picked UK. He’s so much more than a quarterback, and will be instrumental in turning the program around.

38. Bleedingblue
    11:21 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Awesome write up!!! Love reading about what is going on behind the scenes!
    Drew, any thoughts on Boom Williams, Kief, Berrios, Marshon Lattimore etc or any of those highly ranked guys?
    I get the inkling that Elam is staying home to be the centerpiece of the D, Love this kid btw.
    Can’t wait to see all you guys take the field.

39. WeakSauce
    11:56 pm June 12, 2013 Permalink

Keep up the good work Drew, can’t wait to see you guys take the field! GO BIG BLUE!

40. goUKats
    12:45 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Great article Drew.I really enjoy reading about the program through the eyes of a recruit.Have fun at the Elite camp.

41. Travis Coomer
    1:08 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

You simply have to put what we are witnessing in prospective. Drew Barker will go down as the single most influential recruit in University of Kentucky history. I firmly believe before Mr. Barker graduates or leaves to go pro we will be competing for SEC East Football Championships. It is unreal how poorly managed our football program was during the Joker Phillips tenure. I feel like UK Football is literally crawling out of the dark ages. We love football here, Hell we sold out Commonwealth every game with only Music City Bowl expectations. Now, we are pairing top notch players with some of the best and brightest offense coaches and defense coaches. The sky is literally the limit with our fanbase behind our taltented coaches and players.

42. Travis Coomer
    1:10 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

talented..talented

43. David
    1:14 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I think that Drew might be as big of a recruiter as Coach Vince Marrow. This is exactly what our program has been needing since the Curci years. The coaching staff is great the athlete’s are into it and the fans are ecstatic with the whole recruiting process. The nation is about to find out that were just not a basketball school, that we have fans that love football and want to win in the SEC.

44. CarloTheDon
    1:27 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I absolutely love this kid! This kind of leadership is what we have been missing for years. I look forward to his number being retired one day. I have a feeling he will be the chosen one to change this program around and make us an actual threat.

45. Walter T. Cotton
    6:07 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I really think Drew is a great young man and am looking very forward to seeing him play on Saturdays and eventually Sunday’s. His parents seem to have really raised a really good boy. I am already a huge fan and you haven’t even suited up yet. I might come down and watch you play ball this season! GO CATS!! BBN

46. Roofus Howls
    6:40 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I love the insight. I love the attitude and the talent. I also love the writing skills – this may be the best written player diary I have ever read.

47. JoeMoney333
    7:53 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I love that 46. has so little going on with his life that he comes onto websites and is just depressing and negative. Thank the Lord my life isn’t that terrible.

Keep on it Drew, you are a champ!

48. Hard Hittin' CAT
    7:59 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Really enjoying Drew’s posts. I’m pumped for football and it’s only getting worse!

49. TouchdownTommy
    9:04 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Awesome!

50. UKfanNKY
    9:20 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait for KY FOOTBALL to start up this year and beyond!!! Thanks Drew for everything you are doing the BBN loves you and all the recruits…..keep doing wahat you are doing KY FOOTBALL is turning the corner…GO CATS!!!

51. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:06 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

An enthusiastic and great player is about the best recruiter we could ask for. Especially when it’s a QB. Good luck in the Elite 11, Drew.

52. CWS Stand Up
    10:12 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Already a fan favorite. Drew Barker is the real deal. Keep it up man we really appriciate it!

53. Charlie Waite
    10:19 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I really like this kid…

54. 4 Cats Fans
    10:30 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Very insightful young man. We need to support his last year of high school and pack Connor HS games. #BBN stand up

55. gvillecat
    10:42 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

As a guy in his late thirties, who’s been paying attention to the comings and goings of high school prospects for several years, I have to say the level of maturity of Drew is amazing. Well written article, very grounded, confident but not arrogant. It’s really a pleasure to see.

56. FutureCounselor
    10:46 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

I see a double major —- English/Political Science. And after his football career this guy will be a great attorney.

57. Rick
    10:46 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for the info. I can’t wait for some football/

58. NO MATT JONES
    11:41 am June 13, 2013 Permalink

This guy is a born leader. It is so very obvious that he wants to be here and he wants Kentucky to succeed, and he is doing everything in his power to make that happen. I absolutely love it. Something special is happening in Kentucky football. There is no denying it at this point.

59. DREW
    1:58 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

Drew – Is one Bad Mutha, dang, he’s getting it done at a high level! Natural leader, I see greatness in the future.

60. Michael
    11:50 pm June 13, 2013 Permalink

You could not ask for a better kid to represent your school. Congrats on being selected for the Elite 11.

61. Big Blue Flyer
    10:05 am June 15, 2013 Permalink

Holy WOW, Drew! Great entry. The play that starts at 0:15 on your highlight above is SICK! On the go, outside the pocket, off balanced, and you place it perfectly for the wideout on the sideline. Smith, Whitlow, Towles, and Phillips had better be ready to compete when you show up next Spring. The 2014 Season can’t get here fast enough.