If you woke up with an extra spring in your step this morning, you may have thought it was nothing more than the excitement you normally experience on Friday as you prepare to plow through work and dive into a weekend filled with drinking, sleeping, and doing anything other than having your spirit crushed by your boring workaday life. But this is no ordinary Friday, folks. This is Blended Day — the day that the latest Adam Sandler movie, Blended, hits theaters nationwide.
I’m already on record as being a huge Adam Sandler fan, so I when I tell you that Blended is probably going to be one of the funniest movies of the summer, I understand if you don’t want to take my word for it. Luckily, film critics and bloggers throughout the country have spilled gallons of ink (the internet is still written in ink, right?!) singing the praises of the latest Sandler masterpiece. I’ve taken the liberty of rounding up some of the best and most effusive reviews of Blended for you, loyal readers. So scroll through this symphony of praise and then make plans to get your Blended on as soon as humanly possible.
- “There are occasional flashes of something resembling comedy. Blended is only good by Adam Sandler standards. “ — The AV Club
- “There’s not a single surprise or believable romantic moment in Blended. [The script] has just enough resonance to make the predictable setup and tired clichÃ©s tolerable enough to keep you from walking out of the theater.” — Tim Grierson, Deadspin
- “Most of Blended has the look and pacing of a three-camera sitcom filmed by a bunch of eighth graders and conceived by their less bright classmates. Blended is rated PG-13. It will make your children stupid.” — A.O. Scott, New York Times
- “For an Adam Sandler comedy, not as bad as you think. Compared to its forebears, the romantic comedy Blended looks like Annie Hall.” — Stephanie Merry, The Washington Post
- “Blended isn’t Adam Sandler’s worst subsidized vacation. I’d wager that there’s a serviceably so-so movie hiding within the flabby bloat of the 117-minute running time.” — Daniel Fienberg, HitFix
- “A better-than-average Adam Sandler movie is still an Adam Sandler movie. [Sandler has] all the sexual charisma of a booger-eater at his bar mitzvah. [Sandler and Drew Barrymore] still have barrelfulls of chemistry, but it’s hard to root for love between a sloth and a butterfly.” — Inkoo Kang, The Wrap
- “It’s progress, I guess, that Blended isn’t as actively awful as the last few Adam Sandler movies.” — Sean P. Means, The Salt Lake Tribune
- “Fans of the bestiality theme in Sandler’s films will be pleased to learn that there is man-on-giraffe tongue kissing and a shot of rhinoceros copulation.” — Colin Covert, Minneapolis Star Tribune
- “Take a shit, call it a movie. Blended, blah blah, whatever, fart joke.” — David Riedel, The Santa Fe Reporter