UK Sports Dominating UL after Volleyball win

Photo by Regina Rickert

BT2V1LKCEAEdGQN
H/t Regina Rickert

Women’s Soccer  – Check
Women’s Volleyball -Check
Football – ???

Two down, One to go. The University of Kentucky Athletics Department has had an amazing week so far against Louisville, giving everyone hope that the luck will continue on when Kentucky faces Louisville in Football this weekend.

Last Friday Women’s Soccer won its third straight match against the Cardinals with a 2-0 shutout.  Over 1,600 fans crowded the facility to watch the girls.

Tonight the Women’s Volleyball team had a packed house in its match against Louisville, which turned out to be one of the most exciting matches of the season so far. The girls won the match 3-2.

Lots of UK stars were in attendance for the match-up.

Perhaps the biggest name at the match was Patrick Ewing, current assistant coach of the Charlotte Bobcats. Ewing’s daughter, Randi, is a middle blocker for the Cardinals. Louisville’s loss gives Ewing another reason to be bitter about Lexington. The last time he was here was when his college team, Georgetown, lost a hard fought game to Villanova in the 1985 championship, 66-64.

Some other well-known faces attended the match as well. Of course an unofficial member of the Volleyball team, Marcus Lee, was the first to show his support for the girl’s.

marcus

Even Willie Cauley-stein enjoyed the match.

WCS

Let’s look at a rundown of the match.

Set 1: The Wildcats fell 25-17 after Louisville took off in a 6-0 run.

Set 2: The Wildcats were down 7-5 but went on a 7-0 run before winning 25-23. In this match Whitney Billings got her 1,000th dig which made her the first player in UK history to amass 1,000-career kills AND digs since the 25-point rally scoring era begun in 2009.

Set 3: The teams went back and forth in the beginning, but the Cats managed to pull away to take the match 25-20. Shelby Workman became the first UK player in double-figures in the kills column. It was her second career match with 10+ kills.

Set 4: The Cats fall hard to the Birds 25-19. The Cardinals started with a 6-0 run the Cats could not recover from.

Set 5: The match was played first to fifteen, and Louisville did not make it easy on the Cats. With the set tied 2 all, the Cats went on a 5-1 run, and then Louisville did the same to tie it at 8. Kentucky pulled away to win it all 15-11!!

Whitney Billings and Alexandra Morgan received top performer honors for the Cats.  Billings had 9 kills, 2 Aces, and 11 digs. Morgan had 13 kills, 4 digs, 5 blocks, and a hitting percentage of an amazing .407

In case you were wondering, a Kentucky fan and player’s hatred of Louisville doesn’t just stop at Basketball and Football– it goes deep into the heart of every sport, including Volleyball:

Whitney kelsey

shelby
(Which reminds me… I miss Louisville hate day.)

The final show down this week between the Cats and Cardinals comes down to football
this Saturday at noon. Many fans have lost faith in the match-up because of the team’s reconstruction and the fact that Louisville is ranked 7th in the nation.

The Cardinals have a Volleyball team ranked in the top 30, and a strong soccer team which has only lost two matches. The lesson learned is that you cannot just base a match-up off of rankings and records; it all comes down to the actual game itself.

When Kentucky finds itself in this position I like to remember the 1997 Louisville game when Tim Couch threw three TD passes in the first quarter alone to give Kentucky a 38-24 win over the much higher ranked Louisville team in Lexington.

What are some moments you like to turn to when the Cats are underdogs?

Follow me on Twitter: @Sealey_KSR

Article written by Courtney Hessler

Ashley Judd is my spirit animal. Follow me on twitter at: @Hessler_KSR

15 Comments for UK Sports Dominating UL after Volleyball win

1. Storm The Net
    12:49 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Did we storm the NET !!

Next time the Cat Fish win I am for sure going to storm the pool !!

2. What??
    1:32 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

What was that??

3. LOL
    7:19 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

What a little brother thing to do. Didn’t you guys make fun of Louisville last year for claiming a national championship in some random sport? Get this crap off of here and stop acting like a little brother!

4. Wow
    7:54 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

This post confirms we are at rock bottom. We are relaagated to bragging about winning in crappy volleyball. You rubes make us look like little brother.

5. AnthonyBBN
    8:00 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I’m pretty sure you folks (or pretty much the same person under different names) that keep saying the little brother thing are actually Louisville fans, I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am.

While I doubt UK will come out with a win in football Saturday I am still pulling for them because as Matt Jones said, I want to collect all of the Louisville tears in a glass and drink it like champagne.

6. twnky
    8:21 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Im with #3 this is pretty weak. Its womens vball so who cares? A set by set break down lol?!? we would rip ul apart for doing something like this. Dont punch down Matt. now if we pull off a win on saturday thats a dif story.

7. bbmike
    8:47 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I love it-Congrats on the w! If folks didn’t care then you wouldn’t have these types of crowds going. Your missing out if you haven’t been before.

8. SenseofHumorAnyone?
    8:51 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Do any of you trolls above not see any sarcasm in this post? I mean I’m sure Courtney is happy we’ve beaten them in soccer and volleyball this week, pretty sure there are parts that are worded strongly just for humor, like “uk sports dominating ul…”

9. 2013
    8:53 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

The Year Little Brother Comes Back to Earth

10. RICK
    9:05 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Great win last night for the cats, why even respond to this article if you don’t like VB.

11. Really?
    9:21 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

That is some sound logic right thereā€¦”We beat them in volleyball so obviously that means we can beat them in football”.

12. Basteballer
    9:23 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

I get that it’s (hopefully) intended as tongue-in-cheek but it is weak.

Maybe we’ll get ’em in steeplechase this year?

13. SO.MANY
    9:46 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Crybabies on this post ( in actuality it’s probably the same card troll face posting under different names). I enjoyed the recap Courtney and I love it anytime we beat ghetto U in anything. I think this is the year reality starts to set back in for little brother (who am I kidding their fans are ALWAYS!!! delusional).

14. Turner the Burner
    9:48 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Tard fans have nothing better to do than get on here?

15. bbmike
    10:05 am September 11, 2013 Permalink

Courtney-I love the updates from ALL of our teams. Wish KSR would do more updates like this. I love how ul fans come to ksr too. I couldn’t even name any of their sites nor do i care what they do in any sport. must be lilbrocomplex.com?