UK vs. Louisville: An Etiquette Guide

etiquette1

Hello, friends. I hope you’re well, and that your holidays were full of good cheer. These past few weeks have been the appropriate time for attitudes like that. This weekend, of course, all that cheer and good will toward our fellow Louisvillians (Louisvillains?) flies out the window as the mighty Wildcats take on the similarly mighty-ish Cards at Rupp on New Year’s Eve. Card fans will mix with Cat fans, Louisville contingents will carpool to Lexington and the clash for Kentucky will take place once again. Should you find yourself in Lexington on the 31st, then, and interacting with Cardinals fans from down the road, it’s important to know your Louisville Etiquette. After all, these are different peoples and instead of shunning them, we should instead choose to learn about and accept them. Since I’d rather light a candle than curse your darkness, friends, I present to you an Etiquette Guide for this weekend’s UK vs. Louisville game. As always, you’re welcome.

——

I. Take an interest. Make Cardinals fans feel welcome at Rupp. You may find you have some things in common — after all, the brother of the man next to you may have been the man who robbed your aunt last week, and how are you going to know that if you don’t say hello? Break the ice with a nice compliment (“That’s certainly a very long torso on that t-shirt! Where can I find one just like it?”) and see how a little friendliness can go a long way.

——

II. Show your appreciation. Let others know how much you care. When your new Louisville friend’s wife is dancing, approach the stage with one-dollar bills in hand. But please remember: establishment rules dictate no touching.

——-

III. DO ask for the number of your new Louisville friend’s tailor. Derby City is known for its exquisite haberdashers and their uncanny ability to “let out” any variety of jeans, sweatshirts, sweatpants, jackets and other apparel. Why, you’ve probably been walking around all these years in clothing which is way too tight, and a contact to one of Louisville’s expert tailors may be just what you need to give yourself some room in those clothes!

—–

IV. DON’T ask to borrow a hairbrush. Seriously. Just don’t.

—–

V. When giving your new Louisville friend a hug, find a comfortable, carpeted spot on the restaurant floor far enough away from the kitchen doors, where food is often spilled on its way out to the tables.

—–

VI. It’s rude to keep all that Hennessy to yourself. Why not share with your Louisville brethren? Since the Cards will be guests in our house on Saturday, try pouring out a glass for them. And don’t let them pay for it with the inevitable handful of dimes and quarters they’ll offer you, either. Who knows? Be a good host and someday, when you’re in Louisville, someone might spot you a bit of Crown Royal. Pay it forward!

—–

VII. Don’t give out your phone number. This will make it very difficult for your new Louisville friend to inevitably call you collect from the Louisville Detention Center in a few months after he is incarcerated for punching the mirror of a tavern lavatory.

—–

VIII. It’s okay to let them brag. Sometimes it makes a person feel good to share things about himself with others – whether he’s showing you the latest lights beneath his vintage IROC-Z, his newest child’s name tattooed on his neck or a facebook picture of his girlfriend “Sassy.” Just nod and be agreeable.

—–

IX. Visit your Louisville friends regularly. It’s the best way to keep in touch with them if their court-appointed ankle bracelets won’t allow them beyond county lines.

—–

X. Always send a note. It’s always a very thoughtful idea to sit down and put a pen to paper with a short letter saying “Thanks for the victory,” “I’m sorry your team dropped to number 14 in the AP Poll,” or “I hope you found your visor after you got mad and threw it onto the court.” It only takes a minute, and means so much. Remember, a little courtesy goes a long way.

Article written by C.M. Tomlin

42 Comments for UK vs. Louisville: An Etiquette Guide

1. confused
    2:09 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

hey tomlin, i thought the game was new years eve, not new years day – where’s the truth in reporting ksr is known for

2. Wes (not worldwide)
    2:16 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Don’t be a Mr. Bungle.

3. DoubleZeroMostel
    2:17 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

I never understood why Card fans drink Crown. Seriously, this is Kentucky! Why drink canadian whiskey?

4. nolablue
    2:18 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Just now listening to the Podcast, and the caller Billy G. I got sad news for him– plenty of people outside
    of Kentucky think UK ***IS IN LOUISVILLE***. AAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA HA HA.

5. Space between John Hods jersey and chest
    2:20 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

I’ll bring my iron to the game for all the flat bills. I’m just doing my brotherly duty….

6. 1800s
    2:23 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Nice black and white photo. Will people dress like that to go to your old as dirt arena?

7. Eric Crawford
    2:27 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Us Cards fans drink Crown because its cheap. Welfare money can’t afford Markers or Woodford, Duh.

8. Will
    2:29 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

6) You mean the old as dirt arena that still holds more people, more passion, more banners, and more class than the greasy chicken bucket ever will?

9. Jack Sparrow
    2:38 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

#8 So, you’re admitting that it is old. I mean I think Jesus hooped it up in there. I’m just trying to help ya’ll out. Hey, I can register UK on HGTV and maybe you’ll win a free extreme makeover and you can flip that piece of… kitty litter.

10. give em hell cats
    2:40 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

I just have to wonder how many different ways we will be able to say the same thing about the louisville fan stereotype. Yes, it is funny to make fun of our rivals using overexaggerated stereotypes, but at what point are we just beating a dead horse that just isnt that funny anymore? I think Tomlin definitely keeps the freshest slant of all the writers, but honestly we need to move on from the line beard, flat billed, crown royal, thug life jeers now. Its been a solid 4 years of the same thing and its just showing more of a lack of creativity than comedy. I know, I know, this is a UK fansite during rivalry week, i just think we can do better than these running themes for rivalry week.

11. SexnNursinHomes
    2:40 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

6- only thing ya got huh?

ul and their constant talking about that new arena is like a man with a small dick talking about how effin awesome his car is.

12. Mayhem
    2:43 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Nothing short of brilliant!!!! Tomlin is at the top of his game on this one!

13. Jack Sparrow
    2:47 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

#11 Well said Nursin Home. But, UK has been talking about a new arena all year and ain’t getting one. That makes UK a man with a little package that couldn’t afford to by an awesome car… he could only redo his 1970s dodge charger 🙁

14. youwishyourcitywasmorelikemine
    2:51 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Sounds pretty damn racist, Kentucky’s fan base consists of a lot of narrow minded idiots, stop being jealous of the greatest city in the state

15. SexnNursinHomes
    2:53 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

13- Jack, I don’t give a shit about arenas. ul is still ul, nothing changes. 1986.

16. big tim
    2:54 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

check this out davis teague argueing with blackshere ans chane about the ky lou game before they got here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjzc-gbjBM&feature=player_embedded#!

17. Jack Sparrow
    3:04 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

15- Sure ya don’t… 1976.

18. zzz
    3:05 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Anybody knows where UK playing their season tournament games at next year? UL is playing @ the Atlantis.

19. Hero
    3:06 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Now that’s some funny stuff right there!

20. UKMathCat
    3:06 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

@14 “youwishyourcitywasmorelikemine”

This is my least favorite thing that Louisville fans, and Louisvillians in general, do. No, Lexington does not wish it was like Louisville. Lexington is not trying to be Louisville. Whenever the 5/3 building was put up, it was ridiculed as the “big blue trash can” by Lexingtonians–we don’t want to be a big city like Louisville. We’ve got our own vibe here, and we like it.

Louisville is a great city with lots of good food, some decent museums and local art and music scenes. Cool. And it’s the only real “big city” in the state–and so it’s the best one by default. But us Lexington residents are not, never been, and will never be, jealous of Louisville. Lexington is a different kind of atmosphere, which we prefer.

Also, I missed what was racist about this post?

21. SexnNursinHomes
    3:10 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

17- hahaha, card delusion= when an arena is more important than hanging banners. UK 7— ul 2. ouch.

22. Eric Crawford
    3:17 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

This post is racist. So Louisville has tons of welfare. Yes the nice people here drink a lot of King Cobra malt liquor. The southend of Louisville has thousands of white guys wearing t shirts with their gf name and picture. Stop hating on Louisville.

23. Eric Crawford
    3:17 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

24. youwishyourcitywasmorelikemine
    3:24 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Crack on the university all you want but when you start making fun of the city and the people who live in it then you sound like a bunch of idiots, and the stereotypes you have for us are the same a ignorant hillbilly has for black people, that’s why I said it

25. Jack Sparrow
    3:27 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

21- That’s cool. I guess you should be a UCLA fan they have 11. No, I would rather cheer for a school that won a BCS bowl and 2 NCAA basketball championships in a city that has a life and I live in. Rather, than support a school that believes it will never get to a BCS bowl and is in a city that can do nothing but follow college basketball.

26. Jack Sparrow
    3:29 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

24-Your “Louisville doesn’t exist” t-shirts started any making fun of cities.

27. UKMathCat
    3:32 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

@24

I agree, whenever both fanbases devolve into mean-spirited stereotypes, it bothers me. Unfortunately, you did it in your post chastising UK fans for being immature by calling us “redneck hillbillies.” But whether it’s us making fun of UofL fans for being “ghetto” or “thugs” or Louisville fans making fun of us for being “toothless” and “inbred” it’s immature. Louisville is a good city, and eastern Kentucky is a good place. I am a proud Kentuckian, and that means I am proud of the city of Louisville, too.

That being said, if you look through this site all of the pictures of the Louisville fans in question are of white guys in line beards, wifebeaters and flatbills throwing up L’s and holding Crown Royal. So I think that this website is actually not being racist when it throws out these stereotypes… It’s more like making fun of “wiggers.”

28. SexnNursinHomes
    3:32 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

25- so ul is now a football school? hahaha ul still doesn’t have a better record than UK in football. you fail again. and you still don’t even have the overall head to head wins against us either. Face it, ul promotes losers.

about ucla- hahaha they had a two decade run. big effin deal. UK has been kickin ASS since the early 1900’s till today. You are full of fail today. But go on, keep talking about that new arena. hahaha

29. Bash
    3:46 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

@9- So you’re admitting God truly is a UK fan…..

30. Jack Sparrow
    3:49 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

28-Oh, I thought you said it was about championships. Not head to head wins or when the championships were. Sounds like your speaking out of both sides of your mouth…

31. SexnNursinHomes
    3:53 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

30- We own you in both sports. It’s not up for debate. Basketball is our speciality, and we are the best at it. EVER. No debate. But, how is that new arena, again?

32. Eric Crawford
    3:53 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

UofL is number one in molesting blonde women on tables. UK will be jealous.

33. Jack Sparrow
    4:01 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

31- Not if it is about championships. If it is about championships then we own you in football. Our new arena is awesome, and our new stadium is too. How long before your stadium falls apart?

34. Jack Sparrow
    4:04 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

32-UK is #1 in putting racial slurs on their own players doors.

35. SexnNursinHomes
    4:08 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

33- huh? ul never won a football championship. What year? At least UK, even though it’s shared with 4 other teams in 1950, can claim a piece of it. ul has never won shit. jack shit. we have the overall lead in both sports. Which makes me a better human being than you. I win, you lose.

and how is that new arena, I haven’t heard much about it.

36. strange brew
    4:22 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Louisville won a generic BCS bowl ever. Wow, they won the Big East Football Championship. That’s like winning the OVC in basketball.

37. catfaninrockytop
    7:18 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

Over/Under 4?

UL football conference wins in the last 5 years if they played in the SEC.

38. GodisaCatsFan
    7:25 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

33- If I had to guess I would say Rupp falls apart sometime between when your offense falls apart tomorrow or your early exit from march and when your program falls apart when your hand-me-down from UK coach retires and the Yum Center claims the title as worlds largest food court. Just speculation, however.

39. simon
    8:07 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

UofL fans are the most ignorant population on earth.

40. #1catfan
    11:54 pm December 30, 2011 Permalink

All you people are stupid. Louisville fans especially, you have nothing to brag about, PERIOD! And for my fellow UK fans that know nothing about Louisville but continue to act like you’re superior, YOU’RE NOT! Louisville is the only city in Kentucky where people from out of state can go and say to themselves “maybe Kentucky isn’t just a bunch of stupid hillbillies”. I’ve had enough of KSR and it’s followers, you people have taken this shit too far. I’m a huge UK fan but I am starting to view alot of our fans the same way I do the worst UL fans. Have some class and grow the F*** up! Half of us from Louisville(btw I live in Lex now) are UK fans and most are not stupid wiggers (also, I went to fayette mall today and saw all kinds of dumbass UK fans with “flat bills”) so stop with all this nonsense because it’s really making you all look just as bad as the minority of Louisvillians you’re making fun of. Duh.

41. Catsfando
    1:40 am December 31, 2011 Permalink

#41 Back off just a bit. I am a Life long UK fan and live in Louisville. In the latest poll taken by either CBS or ESPN they asked the nation if they thought Ricky 3 stacks would win a national championship before he retires supposedly after the 2017 season. Each state had its own results, overall it was 70% no 30% yes. In Kentucky 15 seconds of fame Pitino did worse, it was 74% no and 26% yes. I think that more than 26% of the states population lives in the Louisville metro area. I guess what I’m pointing out is that either there are a lot of UK fans in Jefferson County (which I know to be true) or there are a lot of UL fans that don’t think Slick Rick is the man for the job. I believe it’s a combination of the two. As for hating UL, that did not start for me until Denny Crumb made such foolish statements as he would not trade Ricky Gallon for Rick Robey and Mike Phillips. From then forward it was on! Louisville was a team struggling for national attention and Crumb desperately wanted and needed to play UK. UK, however had nothing to gain by playing lil’ brother. So there is the story, forced by the State to play UL, has stuck in older UK fans craw for years. Now we have seen Louisville’s thugs use every dirty trick in the book, every cheap shot, every hack, slap, over the back, moving screen, playground basketball every year. The refs just let it go, and will again tomorrow. That’s why I can’t stand them, that’s why I cheer for whoever they are playing every game, adding Pitino has just made it worse.