Cal Unhappy with Tuesday Night’s Performance

Untitled-72-300x160

Hello, friends. I hope you’re well. Here, I brought you some rock salt. For your margaritas. Or your driveway. It’s your gift, use it however you want; I don’t care.

Friends, I don’t need to tell you that Tuesday night was a rough one for the Big Blue Nation. Not only is LSU a team we shouldn’t lose to, we lost in a pretty ugly fashion. As frustrated as we all were, however, it would seem that Cal was even more frustrated. Though his post-game press comments were of the standard “we just didn’t hustle enough” variety, as Tyler pointed out last night his coaches’ show was a lot harsher on the boys, calling it “the worst game we played all year” and calling out the players for not working or listening hard enough. Don’t believe me? Check out some of the actual comments he made on Wednesday night about the game and see for yourself:

On overall performance:
“…we got punched in the head and didn’t fight back, we didn’t pass the ball…we probably had three guys play their worst games of the y ear.”

On guard play:
“Our guard play was horrendous. Horrendous. We’re not creating shots for anyone on the team.”

On the fouling situation in the last seconds:
“When it got down to twelve seconds I was like ‘foul, grab him!’ and they just didn’t…we were just playing, and they were trying to win a world championship.”

On no one helping Dakari Johnson up after his tumble out-of-bounds:
“They’re not worried about Dakari on the floor. They’re worried about their own performance. That’s what nineteen year-old kids do.”

On Alex Poythress:
“I told him to stop that if he keeps Snap-Chatting on the court during regulation play I will take him out of the game. But that’s what nineteen year-old kids do. They Snap-Chat.”

On Julius Randle:
“Julius told me before the game that he was only going to do one thing and that was a dunk, but it was going to be a good one. To be fair, it was impressive. But you gotta do more than one thing out there. And also, why would you say that to a coach? That seems like a weird thing to say to your coach, doesn’t it? It’s weird.”

On Willie Cauley-Stein’s blindfold:
“I know he’s all about changing up his style lately, you know, with the hair and the bowties and everything, but I told him before the Arkansas game that I thought the blindfold was a terrible idea and he just won’t listen. He can’t see anything out there, he can’t shoot, he can’t play defense. It just doesn’t make sense.”

On Andrew Harrison leaving to go to Wendy’s during the game:
“It was like ‘where are you going?’ and he was like ‘We’re going to that Wendy’s we saw next door’ and I was like ‘There’s a game going on.’ But that’s what nineteen year-old kids do when they’re hungry.”

On not helping James Young:
“Look, this needs to be a team-first approach. When [James] was holding on to that bunch of balloons and started floating up into the air, these guys needed to help him out. I mean, he could float away, and then where would we be? Instead, they didn’t pay attention and James got dangerously close to the lights. We are all extremely lucky that we got him back down to the court without serious injury. I don’t know why those balloons were out there on the court anyway.”

On Dominique Hawkins:
“I know he only played four minutes but I thought that was a pretty bad time to decide to get a new driver’s license. But I guess that’s what nineteen year-old kids do, because their license is almost up and it’s time to get it renewed. Look, I don’t make the rules but I think he could have waited a little while.”

On winning a World Championship:
“At least we’re playing like we’re going to win that, whatever it is. I probably need to fill out some paperwork if we’re going to enter it. I don’t even know where that’s held. I guess I’ll look into it.”

Article written by C.M. Tomlin

All I want is a HI-C and a turkey sandwich. @CM_Tomlin

77 Comments for Cal Unhappy with Tuesday Night’s Performance

1. Ugh, not Tomlin
    4:04 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I love you KSR, I really do! I’ve been with you since the beginning and I don’t know how many people come to your site now because I told them over the years. But posts like this are stupid, please stop, this is not the most ridiculous manner possible, this is plain stupid.

• We talkin bout practice...facilities
      9:03 am January 31, 2014 Permalink

I love these posts. Maybe in the future you could exercise your freedom to not read things you don’t get?

2. RealCatsFan
    4:09 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Here, I’ll help with this one:

“They’re not worried about Dakari on the floor. They’re worried about their NBA Draft projections. That’s what nineteen year-old one-and-done kids do.”

3. AnthonyBBN
    4:09 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Tomlin, not your best. Don’t start with the article being about real quotes and then just adding stupid ones. All satire or no satire, mixing it is just annoying.

• Blue Jesus
      4:39 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

He always starts with a more serious tone and then devolves (though I don’t mean that negatively) into the satire, that’s not new to this piece.

4. DavidPat
    4:10 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Huh?

• David T in MTS
      10:31 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I think what he is saying is that we have the best talent in the country, but the coach is unable to communicate in teh proper manner with his players and therefore, the talented players fail to perform at the level they are capable of.

5. Dribble-drive high-five
    4:10 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I liked it, it made me laugh. What’s wrong with a little humor?

6. VScribner
    4:10 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I, on the other hand, thought it was pretty funny. Good work.

7. ChittyChittyBangBang
    4:11 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

#CMsucks

8. JD2Providence
    4:12 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Dude this is bad and needs to be removed. Sarcasm and negativity. It would be funny TO LOUISVILLE FANS. This really pisses me off. Support the team and the coach.

• We talkin bout practice...facilities
      9:06 am January 31, 2014 Permalink

You’re a Louisville fan.

9. Not Good
    4:14 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I can’t figure out which is worst, UK’s performance on Tuesday night or this post. Tomlin lowering the bar again.

10. UK and MSU Fan
    4:18 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Ditto marks under the first two responses. I get the whole “most ridiculous manner possible” slogan. But it’s hard to take much of anything seriously on this site or look at it as a legitimate source for meaningful/breaking news about UK sports with this kind of stupidity. I admire what Matt has accomplished, becoming the sideline reporter for the UK radio network. But posts like this make it hard for me to look at anyone connected with KSR as credible. I understand where you came from. Maybe it’s time to grow up a little.

• It is great that admire Matt for accomplishing UK sideline reporter. The other things he has done pales in comparison to that. You should watch for Not Jerry Tipton’s posts, I am sure you will love them.

• We talkin bout practice...facilities
      9:08 am January 31, 2014 Permalink

Maybe its time to pick a team, UK and MSU fan.

• Walsh is Gay
      10:50 am January 31, 2014 Permalink

IF you got the “whole most ridiculous manner possible slogan”, THEN you would not have a second sentence in your post, moron. This is like people who say “I support the freedom speech, BUT…” anything after that “but” is bull.

Also, do you read this site? And listen to the radio? Matt is constantly looking for ways to inject similarly ridiculous things into the UK radio broadcasts, and his radio show is silly all the time.

11. Afficianado
    4:18 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Best. Tomlin. Post. Ever!

• Really?
      4:36 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Tomlin is that you?

12. booooooooo
    4:19 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Seriously, boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

13. A
    4:23 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

You guys that don’t like this post and criticize it are the same ones that think that you can be a better coach than Cal, a better ref than the ones on the floor, a better quarterback then who is playing in the Superbowl, and, apparently, a better writer than anyone on this site. Armchair comedians. I’d love to see you write something better.

• M
      4:28 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

professional so I get your point, professional I get your point, professional so I get your point, young blogger which may have no legit credentials that pulls a lot of information from other sites (not complaining with that) while attempting to be funny at times-I don’t get your point. I’m fine with the post, and didn’t complain about it. I just don’t see the comparison in your examples.

• UK and MSU Fan
      10:25 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Well said, M. I don’t think I’m a better coach than Cal or a better ref than the ones working NCAA games or a Super Bowl caliber QB. And I’m not the greatest writer. But I did major in journalism, worked eight years as a journalist and won several state (and one national) awards for my work. I do know a little about good writing. This Tomlin entry was a far cry from good.

14. KevinGrevey35
    4:24 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Im in no mood for funny ha ha…..Who thought these twins could play? If its you Cal….My goodness what were you thinking??? “The all time best recruiting class”…..Are you serious? No wonder Wiggins didnt want to come to Lexington…..and for what its worth Dakich did a hell of a job doing the color to that episode of Laugh In…..

15. douggercats
    4:26 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Why Wendy’s? You’re in Baton Rouge for Pete’s sake, the birthplace of Canes! Coulda laced ’em up and skated right over there Tuesday night.

• inside info
      5:45 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Because someone would have said it was racist

16. realme
    4:27 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I love your work Tomlin. The more absurd, the better.

17. Jax Teller
    4:29 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

This comment section, much like the post, is hilarious.

18. Hooter
    4:33 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

All of you that are mad about this post. Are only mad because you believed it for a second. You probably believed all of it until Hawkins went to go get his drivers liscense renewed. At least you were smart enough to realize that he can’t renew a Kentucky liscense in Louisiana. Some of you are so up tight. You couldn’t do any better of a job for this site. Have a since of humor. Don’t be so damn mean. Your only hurting yourself. It would be safe to say that your not hurting the bloggers feelings. Whether it be Matt, Drew, Tyler, or Tomlin. Just chill little girls and get your panties out of the wad that they are in. Face the fact that our basketball team just insn’t as good as we thought they would be.

19. Old_Pogue_Bourbon
    4:34 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I just downloaded KSR hour two and moved the broadcast to 39 minutes in time to hear Shannon tell Matt that he needed to “touch his unit”. Followed by Matt stating that he was “doing his best with his unit” and asking Ryan to “help him touch his unit”. At which time Ryan states that he has the magic touch.

I immediately shut down the podcast and typed this post to alert all of you who are easily offended.

20. Jboy
    4:36 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Matt’s promoted or entitled “Dookie” humor is really getting old. Let’s stop the phone calls and hate days for our opponents for people who don’t agree with us. Let’s try to act like adults. Matt needs to reign in his spoiled Dookie-like followers. We are UK. We are better than this .

• Brennan English
      4:42 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Hail Tomlin, hail Dookie humor, hail yes.

I assume by Dookie you meant poo right? We could always use more poo humor.

• brain
      5:52 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Nah

21. BoNoseSarcasm
    4:39 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Some of them were jjust OK but the WCS quote was pretty funny.

22. TAXman
    4:40 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I thought it was good. The Wendy’s part was awesome.

I think some of you may need to get over losses/dissapointments better than this. The main reason i see that a lot of you don’t like the post is because you’re pissed about the poor play on Tuesday night. Get over it!

23. trey
    4:41 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Dear Mr. C.M. Tomlin,

That space you left in “year” (read: y ear) in the first quote is really bugging me.
    Awesome article.

Thank you.

24. SUPREMECATS
    4:42 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Absolutely genius…the somewhat subtle shift from reality to humor was great. Everyone who hates it, relax. Don’t be so emotionally invested in a basketball game played by teenagers and young men. Spend some time with your families, go to the gym, read a book, listen to some music. Lord almighty.

• M
      4:48 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Thank you. Here I was spending 24 hours a day on this site neglecting my wife and daughter. Do I love UK basketball? Yes. I watch the game and I cheer. It’s something in life I can use to form a bond with some family and friends….watch a game with Dad; while also taking my mind off the day-to-day grind. I don’t consider myself emotionally invested although I do cheer and act crazy during the game. I have been enlightened.

25. JDN1016
    4:45 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Wow … shoulda waited ’til 4:20 to post that nonsense!

26. JVice
    4:49 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

The hate for this post is just absurd. This is well done stuff. The switch from reality to insanity is what makes it work. If you don’t get it, then take the stick out of your ass.

• Jughead
      5:14 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

That’s not a stick.

• JVice
      8:36 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Well, I guess you can leave it where it is then.

27. Bluegrass
    4:52 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Wait, so this is fake?

28. rukiddingme
    5:11 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Pathetic and yes my mind just blew right out the car window

29. baby bump
    5:15 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Well, I’ve been a critic of Tomlin’s for the last 3-4 years. So, I won’t pile on. I just wish it would stop

30. Rich A
    5:24 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Great stuff!!! LOVED IT!

31. Lisa
    5:33 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

You guys it is funny. The point being….. Cal-isms. “Thats what 18-19 year old kids do”.

32. memphis wildcat
    5:34 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Actually Cal said this after the Kansas NC game when he was at Memphis:
    On the fouling situation in the last seconds:

That seems like a weird thing to say to your coach, doesn’t it? It’s weird.” – I can hear Cal saying this

Blindfold = Priceless

You had me until the Wendy’s – Well done

“weird, thats just wierd

33. Iloveit
    5:48 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Best writer on ksr. He and drew crack me up. Better than TTs constant attempts at humor.

34. brain
    5:51 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

This post gave me the trots.

35. goukgo
    5:54 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I am kind of tired of hearing Cal keep saying “that’s what nineteen year old kids do.” Yes that is what they do, so learn from it and get some good players that might stay two or three or four years.Quit just blaming the “kids” and do something about it yourself.

36. Bradley
    6:02 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I love Tomlin. He’s the most talented writer here. That said, this was a brutal attempt at humor. I love off the wall humor. This was just stupid.

37. Spinner
    6:07 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

The sad part is that it was all true, commented to my wife half way through the second that Andrew had a frosty but she didn’t listen.

38. Question
    6:32 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Is there a way to filter out posts by certain writers? These Tomlin posts are annoying…

39. Orangello
    6:38 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Swiiiiiiiing and a miss. That was freakin stupid.

40. ??
    6:38 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Don’t worry about the criticism Tomlin. This is a rightwing state where a sense of humor is an extreme rarity. Wingnuts are all about hate, outrage, conspiracies, blaming, bullying and trying to belittle everyone to make themselves feel better. When Dennis Miller is your claim to fame comedian that tells you all you need to know about wingnuts and comedy.

41. Orney Focker
    6:56 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Man this is friggin stupid as hell. Focker Out!

42. Orney Focker
    6:59 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I think the pressure is gettin to Cal, if that balloon part was his comment, that was stupid as sh!t…

43. Orney Focker
    7:01 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Focker out!

44. cal
    7:06 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I have a legitimate question. Does C Tomlin get paid to write this stuff? If so, Matt should ask for his money back.

45. Jarweed
    7:10 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I chopped a cord of firewood during the game. That turned out to be a good idea.

46. What?
    7:12 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Now i understand what has happened. We have a great recruiter that is an absolute moron. Those statements made about as much sense as our play this season and last. I understood none of that.

47. What?
    7:13 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I understand what has happened. We have a great recruiter that is an absolute moron. Those statements made about as much sense as our play this season and last. I understood none of that.

• art vandalay
      8:12 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Hahahaha. You absolutely proved your point and I would agree that you did not understand it at all.

48. bill
    7:29 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Dead skunks on the side of the road covered in mayonaise in 105 degree heat is funnier than this

• art vandalay
      8:10 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

From reading your post I can confidently say that you wouldn’t know the first thing about what’s funny and what isn’t.

49. tooshort
    7:54 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

I would bet a paycheck every single mental midget on here that doesn’t get Tomlin’s humor votes republican.

• UK56Always
      8:40 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Hey too short…Maybe you’re suffering from a Napoleonic complex. If you’re going to bet, bet more than your $45 McDonald’s paycheck. Beside your mom will be soooo pissed if she finds out you’re betting.She me even kick you out of Grandma’s basement! We all get Tomlin’s humor…what we don’t get is why you have to interject your political biases in a sports blog. That’s what scared liberals do.

50. WildcatFan
    8:50 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Oh, my goodness. I wanted to scream at my computer after I read the comment about Alex Poythress snap-chatting during regulation….that’s hilarious! But, it did take me a second to realize that it was a joke. Because that IS what 19 yr olds do. They snap-chat. A pretty funny post if you ask me!

51. Queen City Cat
    9:53 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Can people lighten up? Great post by Tomlin, especially when you picture Cal saying all these things. We’re all unhappy about the progress of this team, better to find some humor in it than wallow in our own misery. Good work, keep it up.

52. Hudgie DeRobertis
    10:19 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Good’n funny post

53. Steady
    10:24 pm January 30, 2014 Permalink

Terrible.

54. $1.75 Tacos?
    8:33 am January 31, 2014 Permalink

One thing that makes this not funny, is the way UK has been the last 2 years, these could be true.

55. misplacedkentuckian
    6:52 pm January 31, 2014 Permalink

This is the first thing that made me laugh since the loss. Thank-you KSR. I love you guys.