Yahoo! Calls WCS Boom-or-Bust

willie-hair

No, it’s not Willie Cauley-Stein day here at KSR, but it just so happens there’s a ton of news about our favorite former high school football player from Kansas.

This time, it’s Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress and Yahoo!, who questions if Willie can bring it night after night in the NBA. He listed 10 different type of boom-or-bust prospects and gave a best and worst case scenario for each one.

He listed WCS as his ‘Will he bring it every night?’ candidate. Best case scenario was Andre Drummond and worst case scenario being Charlie Villanueva.

It’s starting to become a rather annoying question asked by every talking head around the NBA Draft. If you watched Cauley-Stein in college, you understand he brings it every night, his personality is just different. He has a different sort of drive, but any team (and their media) will be lucky to have him. Selfishly I hope it’s the Knicks.

@uklefty22

Article written by Bobby Reagan

One time representative of UK at SEC 3v3 basketball championships. Northern Yankee living the Kentucky dream. Follow me @uklefty22

21 Comments for Yahoo! Calls WCS Boom-or-Bust

1. 3 fan
    7:11 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

Love Willie but no way in heck did he bring it every night. Willie always had a streak of games where he should have stayed home

• Kathy
      8:18 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

Yep.

• UKBlue
      10:09 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

Yea what player was Bobby Reagan watching because that was the main thing with WCS his entire UK career, which WCS would show up. Cal & even WCS himself talked about his at times lack of effort.

2. Bill
    7:21 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

I hope Willie does great in the NBA. But if there was one thing he was lacking it certainly was his inability to bring it every night. I’m not sure which team you followed this year.

3. CATandMONKEY
    7:27 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

WCS is a family favorite in our household but under no circumstances did he “bring it every night”. Had he done so he would have been POTY and we would have been 40-0.

Unquestionably he was instrumental to the incredible year we got to experience and I would love to have him for another season.
    The concerns are reasonable.

4. Carolyn
    8:40 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

It will depend on which Willie shows up. I feel that if he had showed up against Wisconsin, we would have been celebrating #9 this year. I love WCS but if he has a flaw, that is it.

5. Stan
    8:44 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

I agree with all of the above. I love WCW as much as anyone, but let’s be honest, there were games where he didn’t come to play.

6. Virginia Cat Fan
    9:10 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

Willie was a lion in December and a lamb in March. Same pattern every year. Would I be concerned if I were looking at Willie as a top ten prospect? Absolutely. Honestly, I would pass him up in favor of someone who who showed more consistency.

7. Vic Stansberry
    9:31 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

2 points and 5 rebounds against Wisconsin in biggest game of the year is not bringing it every night. He disappeared the 2nd half of his soph year, didn’t even start. We got to the final game that year with him on the bench during the tournament. Can he do it?? History says he doesn’t do it each night

8. Keith
    9:50 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

Was it not this very site that regularly based predictions on whether or not WCS would be “chasing butterflies” instead of “bringing it every night”?

9. bosshogg24
    9:57 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

Willie had no motor, did not bring it 50 to 60% of the time!

10. bosshogg24
    9:59 pm June 7, 2015 Permalink

Who is Bobby Reagan? Did he watch any UK games?

11. keri scaggs
    12:06 am June 8, 2015 Permalink

So glad to see informed fans comment on this post. Like y’all, I love Willie, and have to agree he is the main reason we lost to Wisconsin. Broke my heart (I was there, and kept wondering when he would show. Sadly, he had every reason to prove a multitude wrong, and he didn’t. Can’t help but wonder if he has a deep subconscious issue w/self-sabotage. If I owned a franchise, i’d be wary, too.

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am June 8, 2015 Permalink

Really? I thought the reason we lost was Devin Booker getting scored on at will by everyone on Wisconsin’s team and not shooting a single three even though he’s known as a three point shooter. Trey Lyles defense was terrible all night too, and he only had one rebound. We got nothing from Marcus Lee or Dakari all game. I loved this team, great group of kids. However, everyone trying to blame this loss solely on Willie is just being ignorant and unfair.

12. wu slang
    12:19 am June 8, 2015 Permalink

I have no idea where he goes in the draft. But he thrives on people doubting him, So I obviously encourage everyone to continue to doubt him. Remember it’s not the first contract, it’s the second one.

13. musrat59
    5:11 am June 8, 2015 Permalink

Willie has been a no show on many occasions. He has the talent but one would have to question his drive.

14. James K
    9:07 am June 8, 2015 Permalink

I agree with what everyone else said — no, Willie did not bring it every night. I think he’s learning how to do that.

My issue is with the Charlie Villanueva comparison. These two guys are nothing alike AT ALL in terms of style. Temperament wise I don’t even think its a fair comparison. Just stupid. Givony is proof that if you pretend to know what you’re doing for long enough, you can end up in a job you don’t deserve.

15. soup1227
    10:01 am June 8, 2015 Permalink

Willie admitted himself that he did not give it his all during the Wisconsin game which was an all to familiar thing with him. I want him to succeed, but my gut says he doesnt last three years in the league.

16. Carl
    10:04 am June 8, 2015 Permalink

“Northern Yankee living the Kentucky dream” – What Kentucky dream are you living Bobby??

17. UKBlue1!
    10:53 am June 8, 2015 Permalink

I like Willie but what you see is what your going to get. He is very good defensively. He disappears on the offensive end at times. I think he is capable of playing 15-20 minutes a game for 70-75 games a year and giving a team very good defense. His offensive stats will be about 4-6 points per game with about 5 rebounds.

• somerset bill
      3:35 pm June 8, 2015 Permalink

hey, i like this. ksr should start a stat prediction contest. maybe after the draft when you know who is going where. the prize could be a hunnndr…. no, a thouuusand dollars.

i think your guess is pretty good ukblue1. i’ll be a little less optimistic for the first year and drop the rebounds to 3 though, up the minutes to 20-25 and keep the points the same.