WATCH: John Calipari congratulates Julius Randle on first NBA All-Star Game

Still via @NYKnicks

Still via @NYKnicks

How about a smile this afternoon? Last night, Julius Randle was named to his first-ever NBA All-Star Game as a reserve for the Eastern Conference, an honor seven seasons in the making. We’ve already shared some great videos, including Randle addressing the fans at Madison Square Garden after hearing the news and his mother’s emotional message that played on the jumbotron, but here’s another. The Knicks posted this video of John Calipari congratulating Randle, which is just the pick-me-up you need right now.

Calipari also congratulated Randle and Anthony Davis, who will making his eighth NBA All-Star appearance, on social media.

I’m so happy for Anthony Davis and Julius Randle! Both know winning matters and it drives everything they do. I couldn’t be more proud of both.

I’m always amazed when I look at Anthony. He has become a true superstar. When it’s all said and done, he’ll be one of the best to ever play. What I love about him is he has never changed. He stays in touch and always reminds me how much he appreciates his time at UK.

You won’t find many tougher than Julius. I remember when he broke his leg his rookie season. Adversity builds you or breaks you, and in Julius’ case, it made him stronger and more resilient. Julius is all about winning and has done whatever it takes to win with the New York Knicks.

My only disappointment with the #NBAAllStar selection is we didn’t have more. I think we could have had as many as six guys with the way #LaFamilia is playing. Some of them really deserved to be in that game. We may end up getting one or two more in if someone can’t play in the game.

[@UKCoachCalipari]

Translation: quit snubbing my guys, especially Devin Booker.

10 Comments for WATCH: John Calipari congratulates Julius Randle on first NBA All-Star Game

1. runningunnin.454
    7:40 am February 25, 2021 Permalink

They said on espn that Booker was in, replacing AD.

2. Glam Girl
    8:21 am February 25, 2021 Permalink

Wish our “coach” would be more happy with putting together a winning team than with what goes on with the players who have moved on. I ain’t saying he shouldn’t care, but geeeeeeeeze…..

• nocode96
      10:54 am February 25, 2021 Permalink

The HOF “coach” who made UK relevant again and has won more games than anyone in out entire history and has as many championship banners as anyone in UK history not named Rupp? That “coach”? Or are you just a angry “fan”?

• Urincatland
      12:33 pm February 25, 2021 Permalink

And he’s also referring to the 9 million dollar Coach that’s had some of the worst losses in our programs history. Just saying!

• Urincatland
      12:34 pm February 25, 2021 Permalink

She’s

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      12:21 pm February 25, 2021 Permalink

No nocode he’s talking about the guy who consistently gets beat by lesser talented teams in the tourney simply because he got outcoached and his diaper dandies don’t have enough fight in them. He’s also referring to the guy who hasn’t had a great team since 2015.

• Urincatland
      12:34 pm February 25, 2021 Permalink

Well said!

3. Glam Girl
    1:00 pm February 25, 2021 Permalink

Nocode, Caliper’s legacy and claim to fame will be based on the number of players that he’s funneled through our program onto the NBA….he’s bragged about this more than once. I’m a lifelong fan of UK and have never idolized any particular coach. They come and go. Season after season we’re now reduced to hoping the new crop of stopovers “get it” in time to make postseason play. We wouldn’t have won in 2012 without the experience we had combined with Davis and Kidd-Gilcrest. I also believe that team won in spite of poor bench coaching. But, that’s just my observation and Cal can bask in the HOF limelight. If you’re noting his accolades, you failed to mention that he also has the distinction of having the worst record of any coach in our program’s history….It only took a preseason top rated team for him to accomplish that. Outstanding stuff right there.

4. CahillsCrossingNT
    2:48 pm February 25, 2021 Permalink

He’s a consistent underachiever. Always has been.

5. Keith Branstetter
    11:08 am February 26, 2021 Permalink

Glamgirl and Thetruth, well said !