Wall responds to Team USA snub

Seven NBA point guards were named to USA Basketball’s 28-man national team pool last week, and John Wall wasn’t one of them. Wall, who ranks fifth in points and fourth in assists at his position this season, recently told The Washington Post it’s not the first time he has been looked over and he will use the snub as motivation.

“I just use it as more motivation. It’s nothing I could do. It’s nothing I can say, and I don’t want nobody to babysit me or try to make it work for me,” Wall told the Post. “They made their list, they made their decision and that’s what they’re happy with, and I just have to look past that. It’s more motivation because I didn’t make McDonald’s game. I wasn’t national player of the year. I wasn’t rookie of the year. So those are just tabs I keep to motivate myself to prove people wrong.”

The seven point guards named to the player pool are Derrick Rose, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, Kyrie Irving and Damian Lillard. Wall’s teammate in Washington, shooting guard Bradley Beal, also received an invite.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Wall responds to Team USA snub

1. Jarod
    10:50 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Why did Derrick Rose get invited. He’s hurt

• Blue Jesus
      12:53 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Yeah I’m wondering if there’s any chance he’ll get picked up if Rose and/or Westbrook don’t return from their injuries in time. Probably not I imagine, but he definitely deserves it.

2. BNClay
    10:50 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Derrick Rose- hurt I assume he will be rehabing
    Deron Williams- Wall is better
    Russell Westbrook- hurt will be rehabing
    Stephen Curry- Toss up, Curry is better scorer, but plays no defense.
    Kyrie Irving- Wall is better

How did Wall or even Rondo not get an invite of any of those 5?

• cracka
      12:09 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

dude, i love wall as much as anybody, but for real?

i’d much rather have deron williams and kyrie irving on my team usa than wall.

• Blue Jesus
      12:57 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

cracka:

I side with BNClay more. Williams and Irving are both big time scorers, not so much facilitators. This is Team USA, there are going to be more weapons than on the bench than any other team has starting. I’d rather have a better distributing point guard like Wall than a scorer like Irving. Not that Wall can’t score, but he regularly puts up double digit assists–Irving does not. Also, Irving really sucks at defense.

3. NjCat
    10:53 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Deron Williams??? Really??? Kylie Irving??? Really???

Coach K is still pissed that Wall left Carolina to play for Cal.

4. Hayley's quadriceps
    10:57 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

That’s some bs right there.

5. Steve WoJo Low Blow
    11:00 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Look Coach Kre-shitz-ki can’t pick all the former Kentucky players… that would be like admitting that Cal does a better job of getting guys to the NBA… Go Dook!

6. Yesterdays
    11:10 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

I think Deron Williams got this based on name and the fact hes a veteran. Other than that, I cant argue with this list too much. Kyrie is a much better shooter than Wall and that is something you need in international play.

Not sure how the Rose thing works- I think they just have to have his name on this so that he can play on the team later on?

7. TN Cat
    11:19 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

No Plumlees were invited?

8. Korean Tacos
    11:25 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

International/Olympic ball is built around spreading the floor. Wall isn’t a consistent enough shooter to spread the floor, hence no invite

9. I don't see how!
    11:32 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

They picked Derrick Rose? Also, Wall is flat out better than Lillard, hands down.

10. What?
    11:41 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

Wall and Irving actually have the same shooting percentage….Irving is way overhyped as a shooter

• Blue Jesus
      12:59 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Not to mention Wall is a better distributor and defender. I think the Coach K/Duke connection was the decider for Kyrie.

11. Truth
    11:46 am January 27, 2014 Permalink

PG’s that can’t shoot don’t do well in international play. Wall can’t shoot. We have enough slashers. Anyone saying Wall is better than Kyrie is delusional. Deron williams, maybe, but not Kyrie

• Thanks Coach
      12:34 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Did you see the shooting percentage comparisons referenced above? Hello???

12. ktmiln2
    12:30 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

People saying Wall can’t shoot crack me up

13. cracka
    12:40 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

guys, kyrie irving is pretty [email protected] good … let’s be real … and those of you saying who can and who can’t shoot, here are the numbers:

j wall (23 years old) – 3s (27.8%), fts (79.5%)
    irving (21 years old) – 3s (38.6%), fts (85.6%)

• Moved it for you
      2:41 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

You picked 3 pt percentage and free throw percentage?? Thats skewing the stats buddy. I am talking about FG percentage and both are at about 43% this year……so saying Kyrie Irving is a way better shooter than Wall is just not true…sorry man. Career stats for Irving 20 pts, 3 reb, 5 assist…….Wall 17 pts, 4 reb, 8 assist……..These players have very similar numbers so saying one is way better than the other just simply is not true.

14. devotedsoles
    12:43 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

like the very first post says: isn’t Derrick Rose hurt? How are you going to name a player who is hurt to the USA team…Honestly I think John Wall should be on that list regardless. Kyrie Irving, Chris Paul, and Westbrook are all worthy adversaries, but that’s just dumb not to pick John wall

15. cracka....your a joke
    12:53 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

16. Come on
    1:15 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Wall will wind up on the team, the injured in invitees’ got their respect, saved coach K from homage to Cal. Picture Wall , Cousins and Davis playing together! Oh my, the things they could do.

17. Chaz
    2:13 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Hope John ends up on the team. If that’s what he wants. The whole process seems to be polarized now, which is exactly what I thought Coach K could avoid.

18. Syrin
    2:39 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Williams? Was Allen Iverson unavailable? Rose? Maybe they could just name Greg Oden and Sam Bowie. Unbelievable.

19. china
    4:18 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I am so sick of this wierd anti Wall thing that has been going on since he been at Kentucky. Irving is not on Walls level. What about player effiency. Isnt he like second to Lebron James! All Kyrie does is shoot a lot of shots but average like 3 points more than Wall. How is he elite? He makes no one else better on his team. Is he even thier top assist man? Wall is playing with all new starters who are averaging career highs in points. Look at what all the guys who were starters are doing ( riding the bench on some other team) Blatche and Young are getting some time now but only because they are on desparate teams that are looking for an answer!!! None of those point guards on that list averaged 8 assist over a four year career like he has. Some of them haven’t been in the league that long and has not done that. He is a excellent free throw shooter, he plays defense, he block shots, and I don’t have a big problem with his shot cause he is hitting it! Its stupid!

20. Lexington 3
    4:35 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Any moron, like Cracka Head, who still says Irving is better than Wall simply does not watch much basketball. It is that simple.

21. china
    4:48 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

This snub makes me feel just as uncomfortable as I felt when John Wall not only didn’t win player of the year or the Wade trophy but it wasn’t even any shame to not giving him the award for best point guard! It feel like it will never end! I am a student and coach of this sport and this is all mind boggling to me! This guy is a true point guard! I love seeing him run his team they need to let up!

22. 8 and counting
    5:29 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Wall made the comment he didn’t make the McDonald’s game. Is he talking about the McDonald’s All American game as a high school senior? Perhaps I just assumed he played but wasn’t he the #1 overall recruit? Hopefully I’m mistaken on what he is referring to, if not that really is a shame.