Turkey seeking international arrest warrant for Enes Kanter

(Photo via Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports)

(Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports)

The drama between Enes Kanter and his home country of Turkey continues to escalate. According to Sabah newspaper, Turkish prosecutors are seeking an international arrest warrant for Kanter, accusing him of being a member of a terrorist organization. Kanter has been a longtime supporter of Fethullah Gulen, a cleric blamed for a failed coup of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan in 2016.

Turkish officials are reportedly attempting to issue a “Red Notice” for Kanter, which allows Interpol to locate and arrest an individual pending extradition. For Kanter to be extradited, Turkey would have to convince the United States Kanter committed a crime prosecutable in the U.S. In a tweet this morning, Kanter responded to the report:

Kanter, whose Turkish passport was revoked in 2017 over his support for Gulen, will not travel with the Knicks to play in London, England tomorrow over fear he could be killed. He explained the decision in an op-ed for The Washington Post yesterday.

On Thursday, I won’t be able to go to work when my team, the New York Knicks, plays the Washington Wizards in London. It is altogether too risky. Erdogan uses Interpol, the international law enforcement organization with 194 member nations, as a tool to have his critics arrested in other countries. I do not yet have U.S. citizenship or a U.S. passport, which could offer me protection, so I can’t risk traveling overseas.

Even if I did, I wouldn’t travel this week to Britain, where I easily could be kidnapped or killed by Turkish agents. Erdogan’s arms are long. He hunts down anyone who opposes him. In 2017, his security team — or thugs, as The Post’s editorial board described them — even beat up peaceful protesters outside the Turkish ambassador’s residence in Washington.

The situation in Turkey has been very bad since a failed coup attempt in 2016. Erdogan unleashed a massive purge, firingmore than 100,000 public-sector workers and imprisoning more than 50,000 people. These people are not criminals. They include judges, academics and journalists. Erdogan thinks free speech is dangerous, and he accuses critics of being terrorists.

Anyone who speaks out against him is a target. I am definitely a target. And Erdogan wants me back in Turkey where he can silence me.

Yesterday, he met with Marco Rubio to discuss the situation:

Good for Enes for standing up for himself and his beliefs.

[ESPN]

[mobile_ad]

34 Comments for Turkey seeking international arrest warrant for Enes Kanter

1. madarchitect
    10:52 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

It must be horrible to live in a country where the leader is so fragile that he/she cannot accept criticism.

• UKfaninTX
      10:54 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

? I see what you did there!

• Parker_UKFanNC
      11:41 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Yeah or a president and wife who had people killed.

• bigblue2284
      12:07 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Your cute little joke shows exactly how ignorant you are.

• RealCatsFan
      12:55 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think it was a joke.

• bigbluebanana
      1:35 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Nicely done madarchitect!

• Luether
      1:58 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

It must be horrible to live in a country where the opposition leadership is so hateful and intolerant that they run around all day every day like their hair is on fire…

• mrpokerchips
      4:35 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Good one

2. BullittCoCat
    11:05 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

Free Enes

3. ukcamel
    11:13 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

I have a better chance of winning the Kentucky Derby (step one: become a horse) than Turkey has of extraditing Enes.

4. trujustin
    11:45 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

People don’t realize how lucky they are to be American.

5. Bigblueswami
    11:51 am January 16, 2019 Permalink

His defensive ability at his current salary should be a crime… lucky for him, defense is optional.

6. RealCatsFan
    12:15 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Perfect example of how dangerous it is for one member of government to have absolute power. The Constitution is important, but our system of checks and balances is probably just as important.

• abmorris27
      2:08 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Still wish Enes has been able to play for the Cats. That was a bogus ruling by the NCAA. And admire his bravery in standing up for human rights in his home country.

7. RealCatsFan
    12:54 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Pretty sad statement that KSR had to close down the comments for the post about Hadeel Abdallah, the young lady who was awarded the prestigious honor of Rhodes Scholar. Instead of supporting her for bringing honor to UK and Dunbar, some small minded people instead chose to disparage her, mainly because of her appearance and her heritage and faith. That is not what America is about.

• Take a Deep Breath Please
      2:01 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

It’s not closed?

• CatstopWontstop
      2:10 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Deep Breath,

It certainly seems to be. I couldn’t post, and there are currently only 3 comments – all supportive of the young lady. I imagine that there were more comments, but they were ugly and KSR admins deleted them.

• RealCatsFan
      2:18 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

There was at least one that was derogatory, and I replied to it. KSR deleted that post along with my reply to it. Might have been others after that that I did not see.

8. eddiesuttonsliver
    1:32 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

i mean the knicks are bad but I wouldn’t call them a terrorist organization

9. BLUEVADER
    1:36 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

All those LIEberals who hate our President and hate this country should move to Turkey be with felliw Communist!

• eddiesuttonsliver
      4:25 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Eat a snickers. You so mad you can barely piece together a sentence.

• bigbluebanana
      4:27 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Too bad Turkey isn’t a communist regime bluevader. Their government is set up similar to ours. How enlightened if you to think everyone who doesn’t religiously adhere to gop points of view is a communist and should leave the country. The US is a global laughing stock right now, not only because of who our president is, but also because of people like you who are so short sighted than any opposing viewpoint triggers you to make ignorant statements like you did here. I’m not a democrat, I’m not a republican either, I’m an American. If you were half as patriotic as you think you are, you’d celebrate the fact we even have the freedom to question our leadership.

• catsarerunnin
      5:24 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

I’m laughing all the way to the bank. It’s called capitalism.

• bigbluebanana
      5:36 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Capitalism isn’t the problem, greedy, power hungry megalomaniacs are.

• catsarerunnin
      9:54 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

So are weak whiners.

10. ukcats1776.90
    1:43 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

u mean like when Obamas IRS (lois lerner) tried to shut down organizations who voiced disagreement with his policies?

11. RealCatsFan
    2:26 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

There is plenty of ridiculous rhetoric and venom between the two main parties in the USA, but it is good that we still do not allow one leader to have absolute power (for now). ukcats, I am quite aware that Obama’s administration did some things that were questionable – just like the current administration is doing. I personally have become so disenfranchised by our ridiculous two-party system that I registered as an Independent. Sadly, most who try to run as an outsider have no chance with the way things are rigged. So the usual suspects will just sit in there and point fingers at each other and continue to milk all of us.

BLUEVADER, it’s a free country. Nope, I don’t like Trump – mainly because I think he is a silver spooned phony who mainly ran for president to further his own causes and those of his cronies. For the record, I don’t like Bill or Hillary either. Don’t trust either one of them as far as I can throw them. Sadly, those were the two horrible choices we were left with because of the rigged two-party system. And I am not moving anywhere, thank you very much.

• Snapper42
      2:45 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Agree! Thanks for answering in a civil manner; something very difficult for some folks.

• Matt10
      3:56 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

Great post RCF. My thoughts almost exactly.

• I miss Kyle Macy
      9:08 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

A voice of reason! Well said. Blue Vader belongs in Turkey. The fundamental problem with Trump is that he has ZERO respect for or perhaps lacks understanding of our system of government. He thinks this should be a dictatorship like his bestie Putin. I voted for this idiot and have voted republican consistently for decades (I hate to admit…the trump and the decades parts I mean). The two party system has become dysfunctional and Trump is a narcissistic phony. What they are doing to federal workers is absurd and reckless. Infuriating. Go cats!

12. Brad
    7:27 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

I love our country that’s why I dislike Trump. He is dangerous. That’s my opinion and I’ll leave it at that. You are entitled to your opinion though so I dont want to argue but I’m sure you will attack and call me a liberal communist or whatever yall like to call people that disagree with Trumps agenda

13. wesmorgan1
    9:44 pm January 16, 2019 Permalink

A small correction:

“Turkish officials are reportedly attempting to issue a “Red Notice” for Kanter, which allows Interpol to locate and arrest an individual pending extradition.”

That isn’t what a Red Notice does, INTERPOL doesn’t arrest anyone, and there is no such thing as an “international arrest warrant.”

An INTERPOL Red Notice *requests* that member nations locate and *provisionally arrest* a person pending extradition. It carries no legal force, and member nations can choose to ignore it if they wish to do so.

Basically, this Red Notice is Turkey asking other nations to locate and hold Kanter, so they can extradite him to Turkey. No one can arrest him in the US except US law enforcement officials.

So, the best way to protest this is to tell your Congressman and INTERPOL Washington (part of the US Department of Justice, this is our national INTERPOL office) that the US should ignore Turkey’s Red Notice for Kanter.