The new KFC Colonel’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

colonels

Left: Darrell Hammond as the Colonel; Right: Norm Macdonald as the Colonel

Chances are all of you have seen the new KFC commercials over the past several months featuring a new Colonel, and chances are you have an opinion about them. Three months ago, SNL alum Darrell Hammond brought the Colonel to life, and his over-the-top, folksy portrayal was immediately panned. I loved Hammond in his roles on SNL, but hearing him cackle, wheeze, and soft-shoe his way through the ads was kind of a turnoff. The Colonel was a real person, after all.

Apparently, a lot of people agreed, so KFC replaced him with fellow SNL alum Norm Macdonald, who debuted as the Colonel in this ad on Sunday, in which he claims Hammond was an imposter:

Did Hammond really get fired or is this a publicity stunt by KFC? Will Macdonald be replaced by another SNL alum in three months? If so, I vote for Will Farrell just because.

More importantly, does this mean the Colonel’s voice will change on the Waze app? I really hope so, because after listening to Hammond warn me about robot chickens on the side of the road all weekend, it’s time for something new. Waze voice rankings is a post for another day, but even though they deleted him, Elvis will always be my #1. Without him, I’m not sure I would have made it through the ice storm in Mississippi in February.

Now that we all want some fried chicken and peanut butter and banana sandwiches, let’s go through the day’s agenda…

We’re on commitment watch for Sacha Killeya-Jones

A few minutes ago, Evan Daniels said he believes the talented 2016 power forward will commit “very soon,” maybe even today, and “all signs point to him picking Kentucky.” Well then. Let the F5ing begin.

For more on Killeya-Jones, scroll down.

We’ll hear from Stoops and the defense

Yesterday, you got an extensive practice report from Nick Roush and Freddie Maggard, and today, you’ll probably hear more from Matt on the radio since he was there for a little bit. In case you missed it, some quick highlights:

• Chris Westry more than passed the “eye test”: At 6’4″, the freshman corner is one of the best examples on the team of “SEC size,” and in the span of ten days, started running with the first team. Even though he was wearing a red no-contact jersey, Westry was the subject of many pictures and tweets yesterday and received plenty of one-on-one instruction from Mark Stoops.
  • Sihiem King is FAST: The freshman running back wowed reporters with his speed. King showed that he’ll play early and often as well, giving Kentucky a much-needed playmaker at punt return.
  • Alex Montgomery looked good, along with Blake Bone: It was a good day for the wide receivers, who made several eye-popping grabs, many of them one-handed in Montgomery’s case. It helped that Patrick Towles put them right where his receivers needed them, turning in an impressive performance in his second practice as starting quarterback.

The New York Times has a great profile about Kentucky and bourbon

In case you didn’t get enough bourbon talk in my feature last night, The New York Times’ James Conaway has a great piece on Kentucky and bourbon online for your viewing pleasure. Beaumont Inn even gets a mention.

Is there still time to install these theater seats at the new CWS?

The Miami Dolphins are debuting “Living Room” boxes in their lower bowl this season, complete with theater-style reclining seats. The seats come in pods of four, with flatscreen TVs in front of the chairs so you can also watch other games:

Each pod costs $75,000 for the season, and sold out quickly. Ridiculous, but I want it.

Anthony Davis did the Nae Nae on the “Late Late Show”

adnaenae

Richmond Bramblet has a recap and video of his appearance a few posts under this one, so scroll down.

Have you seen “The Gift”? If not, get ready to cover your ears during KSR today

Matt saw the thriller last week and gave listeners a week to see it so he can talk about it on the show. I’m behind on my movies, so hopefully he’ll give us a “spoiler alert” so I can turn down in time.

39 Comments for The new KFC Colonel’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

1. jsw
    9:23 am August 19, 2015 Permalink

He already announced…. BBN

2. Mazir Fakir
    9:36 am August 19, 2015 Permalink

Auburn and Alabama got five star and “we” got a four star?

• CardFan502
      12:36 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Still waiting on that Maverick Rowan commit. Dude’s legit. #L1C4

3. Mixxy
    10:10 am August 19, 2015 Permalink

That’s not the real Col. Sanders either. I just saw him last Tuesday while pumping gas at Sam’s Club. He, Elvis and Marilyn were all heading to the coast.

4. Chicken
    11:16 am August 19, 2015 Permalink

Colonel sanders, another proud Louisville gentleman.

12:37 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

…from Corbin.

• chicken
      12:52 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

If you are gonna try to combat facts about a Kentucky icon, the least you can do is read a bit about him. He was actually born in Henryville Indiana just north of Louisville, in what is now considered the Louisville metro statistical area. But he did some growing up in the city and then moved back as a young man after opening a restaurant in Corbin where he spent a few years. he then spent the rest of his life being a resident of Louisville, where he is now buried. Nice try though.
      I’m a Kentucky historian, you won’t slip too much past me ๐Ÿ™‚

• Wikipedia
      12:55 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

You’re welcome, chicken. ๐Ÿ˜‰

12:57 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Louisville invented chicken. Did you know that?

• Wow
      1:03 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Henryville is 22 miles north of Louisville (and in another state, mind you.)

Just like Richmond, KY, is 22 miles south of Lexington. I guess we should start claiming Richmond as part of the “metro statistical area”. And Georgetown (12 miles north). And Winchester (17 miles east). And Versailles (13 miles west). And Nicholasville (16 miles southwest).

Louisville people and their over-inflated sense of self worth. Smh.

1:06 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Uhm? Okay.. Someone is being a little weird here. I refuse to use wikipeida. I am a Kentucky historian and know facts about Kentucky. It’s not that hard of a task. However, chicken was not invented in Louisville, but it is a staple of our regional cuisine. Are you upset because I am correcting you about local history or is this one of those assbackwards things where you hate Kentuckys largest city just because a school you don’t like is there? It is a city separate from those folks, you know? You can be proud of your heritage and your states largest cultural hub without accepting that institution. I should know, I do it every day.

1:10 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

You are simply showcasing your intellect at this point. You have no clue what that term even means, yet you disparage it and attempt to use it wrongly. 22 miles is nothing. A metro statistical area, for those that don’t understand, is the area that is within enough distance of a major city to have people regularly commute to said city and to trade goods and services. I know you aren’t versed in these things, so just take my word for it. Also, stop getting all in a knot because our largest city has local history. This is ridiculous. There are Kentucky fans here too, you are aware?

• Wow
      1:12 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

You didn’t choose the smug life, the smug life those you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1:16 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Okay. You are clearly a troll. I’m done with you. Why don’t you go to your own site? I’m talking about an icon of our state and you are just trying to be right or stir up trouble. Either way, it’s not welcome and I’m done with you. Buh-bye

1:20 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Louisville invented the internet.

1:25 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Its a widely known fact that the city of Portland, Oregon modeled itself directly after Louisville, KY, the cultural hub and mecca of cuisine this side of the Allegheny Mountains. Baseball bats were invented here!

1:28 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

You sound like an angry little man. Hope you at least proved to yourself what you were attempting to. For us, at least, you are just further embarrassing yourself. It is true that Louisville is culuturally significant to our state. I would be willing to put money on the fact that you are an angry little guy out in the state that has never left his small town. I feel sorry for you.

1:29 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Louisville is roughly 376% larger than the small town of Lexington.

1:30 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Louisville invented Lexington. And horses.

1:32 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Louisville is the nations leading producer of culture. And significance.

1:32 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I just guess I will never understand why it is such an important point of interest for people out in the boonies of the state to hate our biggest city. It is a big part of who we are. I hate the tier 3 school here just as much as the next Kentucky fan, but I am from this city and I appreciate what it offers us culturally. It is a beautiful city with a lot of history. You closed minded fools out of the state never leave your small towns anyway, so please just stay there. More craft beer and culinary treats for us finer folks in the state. It’s a sad little life to hate a city as thriving as Louisville in your own place of residence just because there is a program here you don’t particularly take to

• Lexingtonian
      1:36 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I am from this city and I appreciate what it offers us culturally. It is a beautiful city with a lot of history. You closed minded fools out of the state never leave Louisville anyway, so please just stay there. More craft beer and culinary treats for “us finer folks in the state”. Itโ€™s a sad little life to hate a city as thriving as Lexington in your own place of residence.

1:37 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Louisville invented history. And culinary treats.

1:42 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Well, I can see now that I have won this discussion in every measurable way with the exception of childish taunts. When you don’t like facts, the most you can do is deal with it. I’m far too old to be bickering with a child such as yourself. I hope you seek help, because this is not appropriate behavior, and it is clear that you need something I cannot provide.
      It seems you have admitted that you are from Lexington, while not half the city that Louisville is (it lacks all the history: bourbon, Kentucky derby, hot brown) I do appreciate your input. Cheers. Get a life you one poor individual.
      I’m out. Go cats!

1:46 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Louisville invented appropriate behavior. And craft beer.

1:54 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Louisville invented the need to feel superior over every other location in the state, regardless of it’s historical contribution.

• Wikipedia
      2:03 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

It is one of two cities in Kentucky designated as first-class, with the other being the state’s second-largest city of Lexington.

Louisville was founded in 1778 by George Rogers Clark and is named after King Louis XVI of France, making Louisville one of the oldest cities west of the Appalachian Mountains. Lexington was founded in June, 1775.

By 1820, Lexington was one of the largest and wealthiest towns west of the Allegheny Mountains. So cultured was its lifestyle that the city gained the nickname “Athens of the West”. One early prominent citizen, John Wesley Hunt, became the first millionaire west of the Alleghenies.

Many of 19th-century America’s most important people spent part of their lives in the city, including U.S. President Abraham Lincoln and Confederate President Jefferson Davis (who attended Transylvania University in 1823 and 1824); Confederate general John Hunt Morgan; U.S. Senator and Vice President John C. Breckinridge; and Speaker of the House, U.S. Senator, and Secretary of State Henry Clay, who had a plantation nearby. Lincoln’s wife Mary Todd Lincoln was born and raised in Lexington, and the couple visited the city several times after their marriage in 1842.

In 1806, Lexington was best written to its spirit and quality by the poet, Josiah Espy in the following letter:

“Lexington is the largest and most wealthy town in Kentucky, or indeed west of the Allegheny Mountains; the main street of Lexington has all the appearance of Market Street in Philadelphia on a busy day … I would suppose it contains about five hundred dwelling houses, many of them elegant and three stories high. About thirty brick buildings were then raising, and I have little doubt but that in a few years it will rival, not only in wealth, but in population, the most populous inland town of the United States … The country around Lexington for many miles in every direction, is equal in beauty and fertility to anything the imagination can paint and is already in a high state of cultivation.”

Louisville is a wonderful city. But so is Lexington.

Now, chicken, get over yourself, and try to appreciate what else this wonderful state has to offer.

2:04 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I’d talk about feeling superior. You are the one who started all this. It is a pretty clear cut case of little man syndrome. You and your small town feel inadequate, so you feel the urge to put down your states biggest city.
      All I was doing was talking about the great local icon colonel sanders and you went and turned it into an us vs them thing. Typical for your small town type. You don’t have to feel threatened. Louisville is Kentucjy’s biggest city. That means it belongs to us all. Stop feeling ashamed of your little Petite town. Louisville, as most larger cities do, has far more history simply because it has had a far larger population for longer. I can’t help it that places like Lexington just don’t match up. So don’t take it out on me. I can’t help it that Thomas Edison first showcased his lightbulb to the public at the southern exposition in old Louisville, or that Muhammad Ali (the most recognizable athlete of all time and the greatest) fought his first match Here, or that Abe Lincoln formed his views on slavery during his trip to downtown Louisville when he was staying with a friend in the city, or that president Zachary Taylor was from here and is buried here, or that Supreme Court justice Brandeis is buried here, or that F Scott Fitzgerald got the idea to write the great grata by from staying at the seelbach. I can’t help it that Lexington doesn’t have half as much and doesn’t measure up. But sincerely, I am sorry for your little man syndrome.

2:05 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Correction, little guy. Lexington is actually considered a second class city. Look it up. Try actually doing research before wasting my time. It is right on Wikipedia that you love so much.

• Wikipedia
      2:07 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

2:08 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I’m sorry, but TL;DR. Hopefully somebody will enjoy your huge paragraph (however factually inaccurate. It is very well known that Lexington is a 2nd class city by population. Louisville is kentuckys only first class city by population).
      Louisville was the 10th largest city in the country from the 1850’s to the 1950’s. Lexington wasn’t even close and still isn’t. All you need to remember. Cheers

• Wikipedia
      2:08 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

2:13 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

You are a very sad and misguided little person. You know that? I never said I didn’t appreciate what the rest of the state had to offer. If you remember, which no I don’t expect you have the mental capacity, I said I am a Kentucky historian. That means I know a lot, maybe too much, about this fine state of ours. However, I am from Louisville. I can te you as a fact from a historians point of view, whenever studying Kentucky in particular, Louisville will get the vast majority of the time because it is a bigger city and more has happened here. Lexington won’t get near half. Not saying it isn’t a fine city, but it doesn’t even compare.
      Now, I simply started by applauding a local hero, mr colonel sanders. It was YOU that got very very defense and started railing against our states buggest city. Not the other way around like you would like to believe. I appreciate Lexington for what it is, a much smaller, second class city by population. But I am not the one that started bashing a place because you felt inferior. That is exactly what you did. So you clearly need help, and I hope you find it.
      Best wishes

• Lexingtonian
      2:16 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

Its impossible for you to NOT be a smug asshat, isn’t it. Now, go Instagram a beer. I’m sure your boyfriends will enjoy it.

• Lexingtonian
      2:23 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

I’m proud to call Lexington home, regardless of it’s “population in the 1950’s” and other bullshit measuring sticks.

You should move to Boston. It’s probably just ‘slightly’ better than Louisville, with the population and history and beer and all. ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Biglaw Dawgin'
    11:28 am August 19, 2015 Permalink

I definitely like Norm better than Hammond as the colonel. Hammond seemed like he was doing an impression of a dumbed-down version of George Bush (is that possible?) selling chicken. I’m with you, big turnoff. Judging by his outfit, I’m sure the colonel was an eccentric guy, but I’d like to think he wasn’t also a complete moron, like Hammond portrayed.

6. CPACAT
    2:36 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

To Lexington Chicken: If you just want to compare Lexington/Fayette Co. proper, it would actually be the third largest area in the state. The three counties of Northern Kentucky are 1) part of the largest Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area in the State – Cincinnati, OH 2.1M people and 2) are more populated than Lexington/Fayette Co. (Lex 307K according to 2014 Census Estimates, NKY 373K according to 2011 Census Data). While there is no place I’d rather be on a Fall Saturday than Keeneland or tailgating at a CATS game, lets not discount that there are lots of phenominal places in KY!

3:20 pm August 19, 2015 Permalink

It’s cute that you actually think you understand how that works. The statistical area would count for Ohio in the north.. Not Kentucky. But nice try. Try learning what the terms actually mean firstx