The Best & Worst Reactions to Karl Towns’ ESPN Body Issue photos

This morning, Karl Towns’ pictures for ESPN’s Body Issue hit the interwebs, sparking a predictable outcry from some Kentucky fans. As we learned when John Wall posed for the Body Issue a few years back, the reactions to the photos are almost as good as the photos themselves, so I thought I’d share some of the feedback from our Facebook comments section, always a model of decorum.

Let’s start with the fans that were so upset by the pictures they took the time to write a comment about them:

Ouch. Bye, Lois.

Actually, Carol, I bet she is. Her son is in peak physical condition and comfortable enough in his body to share it with the world.

There must be some law that says, whenever we post something from ESPN, someone makes a political comment.

Like Betty said, stick to basketball!

Not all of the commenters were triggered. Shoutout to Julie and Pamela for understanding what the Body Issue is all about.

As Karl said, posing for the photos was an accomplishment.

“Growing up, I’d always been told that my biggest weakness was my body and how that was probably going to hold me back from accomplishing my dreams. It’s funny — full circle now … I got the chance to prove everyone from college, high school, middle school wrong. I was that chubby kid with not the flashiest body, and now I’m able to represent myself and my family and all the journeys and the trials and tribulations that I went through to get to this body.”

You go, Karl.

[mobile_ad]

130 Comments for The Best & Worst Reactions to Karl Towns’ ESPN Body Issue photos

1. Rabbi Li
    5:19 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

More liberals pushing sex. Even thought the one who owns the website has never had it.

ESPN stopped doing sports and fell in a liberal hole. Here we are at KSR.

5:43 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

True Statement

5:47 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Amen

6:44 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Republicans don’t have sex? Now we know what’s wrong with y’all! Thanks for the insight…and if you’ve got a minute, go get off, it’ll melt your stress away.

• lexcatfan2367
      6:47 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

???

7:59 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

We do. We use big blue bananas!

8:15 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Lol. Whatever gets you off man, I’m not here to judge!

8:55 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Oh now you wanna start back peddling…

• stratblend
      6:47 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Why are conservatives SO concerned with everyone else’s sex lives? Others choices. Mind ya damn business. If you don’t wanna look. Don’t look.

8:49 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Stratblend, buddy, do you not notice all of the liberals rioting in the streets because someone else’s choice doesn’t align with theirs? “Everyone can have their own opinion, unless it’s different then mine” – every liberal ever. Hypocrisy at its finest.

• Cletis75
      11:23 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Stratblend, how about keeping your business to yourself if you don’t want everyone else in it! When you air your dirty laundry,you make it everyone else’s business. We conservatives have sex, we just don’t post our business for everyone else to see.

• clearhorse
      9:05 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

It is endlessly funny to me that modern “conservatives” started the whole liberal snowflake, people are too wussy and triggered nowadays thing, and yet the SLIGHTEST thing will set them off too. We all are just alike, self-righteous as can be. People never change. It’s one issue from a magazine that no-one is forcing you to buy or look at for free online for more than 2 seconds. You’re adults – you can handle it. And Karl can do as he pleases. For whoever suggested this is sexual – you must be fun at parties. If you don’t want to appreciate/celebrate the human body in it’s peak athletic form, fine. Don’t. I think you’re a prude and no fun, but fine. But don’t get your long, boring skirt twisted about it and bash and judge others for it. This is whole conversation is SO Kentucky and it’s one thing I have always despised about my beautiful home state and it’s lovely, but sometimes, disappointing population.

11:54 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Clearhorse I would just like to point out one thing. You just judged me, hypocrite. Smh

2. jaws2
    5:21 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I bet RealCatsFan lovvvvvves these pictures! Probably dreams of being that basketball! Nah, probably not, Karl’s older than 13!

• runningunnin.454
      7:40 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

What’s your problem,jaws? Your Lilliputian brain dragging you down into the gutter again?

3. cats646
    5:33 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

So if we didn’t enjoy looking at a butt naked dude were terrible people. Hmm. You officially suck Mrs. TT.

6:45 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

KAT isn’t the first man to do this, won’t be the last. But, it sounds like you would enjoy looking at naked women? If so, that’s quite the double standard.

8:11 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

No that’s the issue! We don’t wanna see this crap on KSR!

9:00 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Then don’t click on it medic, super simple solution here…but I guess then you’d have no reason to complain and use it as a platform to call out liberals.

9:18 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

You have no authority to tell others what to do. This is an opinion site…free speech and conversation piece…I don’t call out Liberals…Liberals call themselves out…right bbb!?

9:32 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Wow bro, you’re very thick skulled. Never once told you what to do, just said do t click on it if you don’t want to see it. That’s just a logical suggestion. You clicked on something, it angered you. I just suggested not clicking on things that make you angry.

9:53 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Stoppppp!

8:23 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I’m fine with naked women. I’m also not gay. I’m not really complaining about the picture, I don’t care about that. I’m complaining that liberals think they can force it on us and if we don’t like it then too bad.

8:58 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Where were you forced to look at this? I feel that is why liberals can’t stand republicans, just because an idea or something is out there, doesn’t mean you have to engage it. No one forced you to click here, just like if we think gay people should have the right to marry, in no way does it bother you personally…you just don’t like the idea of things.

Also, incredibly hypocritical to be okay with naked women, but not men. It’s also a case of razor sharp sexism. If you want to be sexist, fine, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be ridiculed for your sexist acts. Remember that. It’s better to remain quiet and let people think you’re an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

9:00 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Eat yellow bananas…FAST

12:43 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

Rrrright…so SHHHHHHHh!

9:03 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Nope just you.!

9:20 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

BBBanana I’m not forced to look at this picture, no. But when that is all you see on the news is gay people yelling in the streets because someone doesn’t agree with them, it’s hard not to see it. It’s one thing to be gay, it’s another thing to never shut up about it. And as soon as someone doesn’t agree with it they are ridiculed. That’s why republicans can’t stand liberals, because if they want freedom of opinion then why should they get to say our opinion is wrong? That is hypocrisy. And why does it make me sexist if I will look at women but not men? That’s called being normal and straight. I’m sure the lines have been blurred in your mind.

9:34 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Careful…BBB has almost turned interesting a Banana Split…

4. jfloyd
    5:36 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I saw Greg Norman and thought “how can I look like that one day?” People are sure welcomed to be appalled at near-nudity. I found it to be impressive and inspiring.

5:48 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Of course u do Floyd…!

• jfloyd
      5:54 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I can’t think of who you might be, CombatMedic. Your comment made me laugh though.

7:48 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

You won’t ever know who I might be.

8:17 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Can anyone truly know who anyone “might” be…even ourselves

8:56 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Well you are the smartest of us all…Big Blue Banana

8:57 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

You are the only one…Big Blue Bananna!!!

9:02 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I might be a hot air balloon racing champ, I might be Santa Claus, I may be a professional stylist for zebras….but I’m not…or am I?

9:19 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Yes you think…therefore you are…!

9:23 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

The BIG BLUE Banannnnnna!!!

9:32 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

How much bourbon you had tonight combat? Lol

9:57 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

None. I serve the Lord and HE only!

10:46 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Which lord? Satan, Cthulhu, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Vader, Helmet, lord of the rings? Which one? If you’re talking the Christian lord, which I believe in by the way, didn’t his son drink a lot of wine?

1:44 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

THE LORD OF LORDS…KING OF KINGS…dude don’t even go there with the Jesus drank wine too! You guys are pitiful to use Jesus as an excuse to be an Alcoholic…! Also, Alcohol, drugs, smokes, won’t keep you out of Heaven by the way…

12:45 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

It will actually get you there quicker!!!

1:52 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

…and good luck with that! Tell Jesus well you drank wine too!!! Well if that’s the case if all the Alcoholics wanna use Jesus as an excuse to justify their addictions or abuse of their bodies…hope they have a better excuse when the stand before Him.

9:00 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

“Hell Combatmedic, I was high when I said that!”- BigBlueBanana.

5. jaws2
    5:36 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Hmmm, seems like your fascinated by this word suck. You’ve used this on another post today. Interesting.

• ukkatzfan
      8:46 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

No one say the word “suck” around jaws. He keeps count of that word and that word only.

6. BBNDan7
    5:37 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Whoever i think im ignorant, I come here to read comments and it makes me feel better about myself

5:49 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Yeah buddy!!!

• BBNDan7
      6:14 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

You’re obviously not a combat medic if the human body upsets you

6:46 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Bbdan for the win!

1:49 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Really?! Cum on bbb, troll someone else on here please! I’ve already turned u into a Banana Split…you are gonna turn into Banana pudding!!!

7:57 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

That’s weak Danny Boy…the body, upsets me!? Hunh!? Stay on point. We’re discussing how sick and twisted the world has truly become. The body is amazing and a holy temple. We exploit and perverse the most amazing thing on earth…the human body!

7. dsims0004
    5:44 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

What? I just don’t like to look at naked men. End of story……

• UK Fan
      6:04 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

…but no problem looking at the women though,,,right?….Did you every think, not that long ago men wore speedos showing far more then Karl & they were considered covered. If that was before your time google it

8:59 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I’ve never looked ? so I didn’t know until now…

• dsims0004
      6:52 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

We once put cocaine in coca-cola too….But thanks for telling me how to think.

• dbookno1
      8:48 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Yes, thank you

9:08 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Now I know why the made us drink Coca Cola in theatre…

9:05 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

That too Gents…thanks double OH 4

8. BullittCoCat
    5:54 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I would just like everyone to know that I hate this so much, I’ll take the time to comment on it. Seriously I hate it. I’m officially above suspicion on liking naked Karl #DealwithitLibs

• BBNDan7
      6:15 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

This is so bullitt county that it hurts

9. Kychopsticks
    5:56 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

That Jack Link’s diet!

10. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    5:58 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

What a bunch of prudes….

11. cats646
    6:14 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I also like how you said “they were so upset they took to time to comment about it” yet you liberals riot in the streets if someone says they don’t like gays or that illegal immigrants shouldn’t be allowed in our country. Smh. Pathetic

• BBNDan7
      6:18 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

You seem really upset. All over seeing a mans pelvic bone

9:40 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Dan u must have been studying those pics in detail to see his pubic symphysis region!!! Wow!

6:22 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

No I’m upset because people like you open they’re mouths and nothing intelligent comes out of them.

6:47 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Says the guy with nothing intelligent to say.

9:27 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Bananna Rama’ this is not a political talk show…cum’ on Anderson Cooper calm down before you split at the seems!

9:37 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Says the first person who brought up politics!

• BBNDan7
      6:51 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

*their.

• BBNDan7
      6:53 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

“Nothing intelligent comes out” proceeds to use the wrong form of “their”. Man, you made this easy.

6:54 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

You got me BBbanana. And Dan, as I’ve said to many others on this site, if I was writing a letter to your great grandma I would worry about grammar. On here I’m not. Quit being so petty. You know a liberal has lost an argument when they bring out the grammar card.

• BBNDan7
      7:10 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

You know a republican has lost an argument when they start calling people names. Or as the president does, makes fun of someone’s mental handicaps.

8:17 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Everyone: Dan is a Liberal Democrat!!! Can you post a spread like KAT did!!! Come on everyone will love your pictures too and you will feel so good about yourself with all the attention you will receive. Your the next big thing!!! Shows them Unpopular, politically incorrect, Christian Republicans that love guns and TRUMP!!!!

9:08 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I’m a very liberal democrat, but I’m pro gun and pro life. Is your mind blown? There can be caveats to what we believe. I’m against abortion, unless the situation warrants it (rape, incest, fatal disease). It seems you, and plenty of other conservative AND liberals seem to lump the other group into the same garbage fire. This is why there are so many problems and how a pic of a man’s body melts into a cesspool if name calling on a sports site.

9:42 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

And a big blue banana that no one has ever seen or know to exist except in your mind!

9:13 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

Admitting you are a Liberal Democrat is the first step toward Republicanization!!!! 11 steps to GO!!!!

8:25 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Don’t believe everything you here on the news dan. Btw, the unemployment rate is lower than its ever been. Thanks Trump!!

9:27 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

BBBanana my mind is not blown. Just as many crazy people on the far left as the far right. Just as many sane ones too. Well, maybe a few more sane ones on the right. Ha. I think the two party system has torn this country in two. I’m just arguing my opinion, just like you.

9:36 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Opinions are great, as long as we don’t present them as facts (you have not, nor am I saying you did). It’s when BOTH sides start arguing their opinions as facts to adhered to where we get in trouble. My son’s godfather is a staunch conservative, but he’s very pro choice, doesn’t believe in god, and hates trump. We are all different and lumping others in with stereotypes is why we are all fuct.

9:39 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Well I think I do have to agree with you on that BBBanana.

12. Jesus H. Chrysler
    6:30 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

We need less TWIG & BERRIES and more @@s

• UK Big Board Update
      9:31 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Aas?

13. scwhite9
    6:31 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

This is one of the few articles/sections I like about ESPN. They have been celebrating athletic bodies for years. I am impressed that he made the list. I love these.

14. lexcatfan2367
    6:31 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I’m somewhat confused. Who is twisting y’all’s arms to make you look at the pictures? No one. Espn does this EVERY YEAR…what’s the problem? Honestly, I don’t really care about the photos. KAT is a former wildcat; what he does in his adult life doesn’t bother me at all. Would I do it? Nope. Does it bother me if other people do it? Nope. Chill out.

• dsims0004
      6:57 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I’m not bothered but I rather not see it. I didn’t seek it out, but when I came to KSR this morning, I was like 1 picture, okay. Then I kept scrolling and it went on for ever and ever.

I don’t have any issues with people being gay or bi or trans or whatever, but I still don’t want to see naked men. If that makes me “insert buzz word” ism, then so be it.

8:18 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

What about naked women?

• JustUrAvg
      8:27 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

1. KAT isn’t gay. 2. You look at a naked man every day don’t you? 3. It sounds like you are afraid if you are overexposed you will like it? ?. Its a mans butt get over yourselves….your eyes wont go to hell without the rest of you.

9:09 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

May use your last line JustUrAvg for the name of my next album. Thanks!

9:45 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget about TRYSEXUALS…

15. jonthes
    7:01 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

What in the hell is the problem with the haters? If you don’t want to see it, don’t. Grow up. Let me tell you as a gay UK fan, there is definitely such a thing as protesting way too much. Suspicious.

8:53 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Really? Were you in the crowd with all the other gays yelling “Not my president!!!!” Smh.

9:11 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Cats, you know who you are? You’re that white woman calling the cops on the little black girl selling bottled water without a permit. Try and remove some of that hate in your heart, replace it with a little love…you’ll like the results

9:50 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Oh cum’ on…Get the Pom poms’ out for bbb…calm down and quit victimizing yourself!!! My goodness…!

10:48 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Your comments just get dumber and dumber combat

9:30 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Ha! I’m a guy, and also not racist. I’ve never called the cops in my life, and I have plenty of love in my heart. I also have plenty of hate. But then again, that’s my choice. Who are you to judge??

9:45 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

The LOVERS

16. Rick_S
    7:01 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Is that his left hand hanging down?

17. dsims0004
    7:06 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I’m more upset ab her calling people out than the picture. Tyler is telling us how to think.

• clearhorse
      9:08 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Could you be any more of a crybaby?

11:57 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

He could be, if he was one of those liberals crying in the street yelling “not my president” pathetic.

18. TorpedoVegas
    7:47 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t realize so many people were this insecure with their sexuality. I guess those complaining have never set foot in a locker room.

19. Booby Petrino
    8:17 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Lol at these comments. Some narrow-minded people in here. Offended by pics of a naked man and can’t even see any private parts… Too funny! Definitely never tune into Naked and Afraid… You’ll be curled up in fetal position, crying for your mom.

8:54 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Actually that show just sucks.

9:38 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Watch out, you said the word “suck”. Jaws2 is lurking somewhere to tell you about it.

• ukkatzfan
      8:56 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Agree 100%. Wal-mart pics too. BTW Petrino, sure you will get alot of replies with the Booby name.

9:03 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

I actually quite enjoy the name Booby petrino. It honestly makes me chuckle at Louisville every time I see it. So thank you for that.

20. CombatMedic_98
    9:20 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

The BIG BLUE BANANNNNNNNNUHHHH!

21. The Real LindaS
    9:26 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

He sure has long legs and he looks like he is flat footed….hope he won’t have trouble in the future…must have been cold in that studio, did you notice? Wow, nice muscles…look at the size of those feet…wow…hey 70 year old women can still look, still appreciate and really still like to look…BTW I only admit to 42, It was the 28th anniversary of my 42 birthday this past March…BTW John Wall was in the ESPN body issue a few years ago…

22. CombatMedic_98
    9:44 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Educated Liberal Alert ?

23. cats646
    10:18 pm June 25, 2018 Permalink

Combatmedic, you might be on my side of the argument, but you’re acting like a complete and utter child. Please stop. Your the reason why people on this site think all of us republicans are uneducated rednecks.

1:56 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

I’m on my side…not sure which side or what you’re referring to as for as sides…

2:31 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Do I ‘sound’ uneducated on here?! I am soo sorry, I forgot to post my degree level and IQ scores…I rather apologize if I make my fellow esteemed colleagues look Even more educated beyond their intelligence…please forgive me!?

24. CombatMedic_98
    1:56 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Who said I was Republican…I am an American!

25. CombatMedic_98
    2:02 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Who said Republican? Yep am an AMERICAN…I can shoot straighter, drink longer, and fight harder than any other man…weight a minute. I am sorry Gents, that’s not true. Let me correct myself. I am an AMERICAN from HARLAN COUNTY, KY. Sorry, had to clarify & verify!!!!

2:32 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Big difference…you all know that though!

7:38 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Your literally talking to yourself here.

12:58 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

Thank you for not responding or listening to my post though!!!

• UK Big Board Update
      9:34 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Well, it all makes sense now.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:50 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

Combat is obviously an alcoholic. Hope he gets the help he needs.

1:57 pm June 26, 2018 Permalink

Negative…

26. davisfeathers
    9:23 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

why is everyone so triggered because a guy from New Jersey who lived in Lexington for one year decides to hang dong in a magazine?

27. krispdyer
    9:42 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

I just wanted to post an “I Am Groot” joke here and was literally swallowed up by the avalanche of stupidity in the comments section….when will I learn….. Anyway, sometimes a picture is just a picture and can be judged on its own merits. The predictable, asinine descent into politics and name-calling — hiding behind anonymity — is the sign of real pathology….please grow the hell up.

28. StoneColdSaidSo
    10:14 am June 26, 2018 Permalink

I hate the liberally-biased media and basically every dumb-dumb KSR writer like TT as much as the next free thinking person, but being triggered by the body issue is flat out hilarious. The body issue is a celebration of the human being and is a demonstration of physical perfection that we should all strive for. If you turned this into a political thing or a gay thing, you might just be projecting something.