Tayshaun Prince signs with the Timberwolves

Congratulations to Tayshaun Prince, who has agreed to a one-year deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Prince will join fellow former Cat Karl Towns, giving a young Timberwolves roster another valuable veteran presence.

Last season, Tayshaun played with the Memphis Grizzlies and the Boston Celtics before finally returning to Detroit, where he started his career. This will be his 13th season in the league.

Let’s celebrate with the requisite video of Tayshaun’s five threes vs. North Carolina, a good “where were you when” for my generation of Cats fans:

8 Comments for Tayshaun Prince signs with the Timberwolves

1. asdf
    3:09 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

That video of Prince never gets old…

2. jkl'
    3:26 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Insane isn’t it. That last one was something like 7 feet beyond the arc? Just guessing.

• Wheatgerm
      9:57 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Very close to 8 feet beyond the arc.

Using the best close-up I could find of UK’s center court, and knowing that the radius of the jump circle is six feet, I took a screen grab and pasted it to MS Paint to measure distances. We know that Tayshaun’s size 15 shoes were 12.5 inches long and that his right heel was just less than a black stripe’s width beyond the down stroke of the U. This means the toe of his right shoe was about 164 inches from half court, or 400 inches from the baseline. As the top of the key is 300 inches from the baseline, Tay’s right foot was just about 100 inches behind the 3-pt line at that time.

Tay’s left foot was less than half a shoe length closer in my estimation. That’s the biggest guess here. The Kentucky Wildcats TV video is the best I could find of his shot. The camera’s at half court looking behind him a little. So let’s call it 4 inches closer, which is 96 inches or 8 feet behind the arc. A shot of 27′ 9″. That’s my best estimate, and I think it’s a good one.

Clearly I have too much time on my hands.

• ukjaybrat
      7:53 am August 14, 2015 Permalink

… clearly lmao. but worth it

3. BigBlue
    3:35 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Who else watched that video like 3 times lol

4. john wall
    3:55 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Gave me the chills

5. Nerds
    4:43 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

I was sitting center court, third row from the rail in the upper level. To this day, I’ve never heard Rupp louder.

• jayhorn5
      12:36 am August 14, 2015 Permalink

I was in the student section, first row of the upper level. Thought I was going to fall over the rail we were jumping around so much. Best home game I ever saw.