© Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

By now, you’ve probably heard DeMarcus Cousins’ rant about Toronto Raptors fans from Monday night. The former Cat cursed the Toronto crowd for cheering when Kevin Durant went down with an injury in Game 5 of the NBA Finals, calling them “trash.”

“F— them. F— them,” Cousins said. “Trash. So trash. But like I said, no one idolizes superstar athletes. Not human beings. It’s always about what we can do between those lines. That’s it. That’s all that ever matters. And then once we lash out and do human-type things, then we’re considered bad guys.”

Boogie’s rant has been praised by many, but it had quite the opposite effect on Sacramento Kings play-by-play announcer Grant Napear, who spent a good part of his radio show yesterday blasting Cousins.

“If there is any player in the NBA that should not be talking about fan behavior, and about how they treat athletes as opposed to people, it’s DeMarcus Cousins. This guy is the rudest, crudest, most vile player that I have ever been around in my 31 years of covering the NBA. He should not be speaking on this in any way shape or form. He doesn’t have the forum, shouldn’t have the forum, and is the worst possible person to ask a question about the fans. I have witnessed, not once, not twice, not 10 times, not 20 times, not 30 times, not 40 times, I have witnessed over and over and over again, DeMarcus Cousins cursing at fans for no reason at all. I’ve seen him curse at women. I’ve seen him curse at people at the airports. I’ve seen him curse in front of ladies that have nothing to do with the sport he’s playing. For him to be talking about the fans, shame on him. Shut the hell up, and for once, act like a freaking professional. You got run out of Sacramento, you got run out of New Orleans, and I’m telling you right now, you’re getting run out of Golden State because they’re tired of your act.”

I know Boogie rubs some media members the wrong way, but my gosh. Is Napear upset he didn’t get a Christmas card from him or something? Given all the good Cousins did for the Sacramento (and New Orleans and probably Oakland) community, you would think Napear could keep his personal grudges to himself.

[mobile_ad]

64 Comments for Sacramento Kings broadcaster blasts DeMarcus Cousins for comments about Raptors fans

1. Trueblue44
    10:43 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

F all that. That dude was incredible here and was amazing with this absolute rabid fanbase. Always had great things written about fan interactions and all that. People get off on blasting him and it needs to stop

• syrin23
      12:00 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

And there it is. because he played at UK, fans give him a pass for repeat garbage behavior. If he played at Duke NO ONE here would be defending him. NO ONE. And they shouldn’t. This isn’t the first reporter to say these things. KSR has documented many reporters saying the same things about Cousins. So is there a journalist cabal out to get Cousins or is Cousins just a huge a’hole? Why aren’t they saying these things about ANY OTHER UK player? Why is it always Cousins, the same guy who gets fined and suspended repeatedly? because he’s a giant spoiled a’hole. You should be loyal to your values FIRST, your team a distant second.

• Lip Man 1
      1:02 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Not saying the radio guy was right or wrong, but I’d like to know if in fact his allegations about Boogie are true. That is the question. if they are…well then his comments would not be out of line would they? If they aren’t then he owes Boogie an apology.

• Cletis75
      8:41 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Always loved Boogie, but he should be calling out his coach, team President and owner and doctors! They put KD in that position in their own interests not KD’s. He should have never been out there in the first place!

2. stratblend
    10:47 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

the culture of “hot takes” in sports radio can’t die soon enough. news is now made from blowhards that have to find a way to fill 3 hours of airspace a day.

• ClutchCargo
      11:02 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

I couldn’t agree more. Where is the “like” button when you need it.

• nocode96
      1:24 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Spot in strat

• nocode96
      1:24 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

*on

3. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    10:49 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

If what he says about Cousins cursing all those times is true then he is correct.

• 4everUKblue
      2:33 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

If it is true, I’m sure Cousins is the only one who curses all the time.

• Luether
      7:51 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

My sources say that Boogie has no filter…

4. njcat54
    10:50 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

He needs to say this to his face. We never heard anything from him when Cousins was in SAC. And DeMarcus was right, the Toronto fans WERE completely classless in their reaction to KD’s injury.

• Cletis75
      4:06 am June 13, 2019 Permalink

The whole Golden State organization was classless for putting KD out there in the first place. Had they not taken advantage of KD, they wouldn’t have had to worry about Raptors fans showing that they were as classless as the warriors for having him out there against the best interest of his health.

5. katmandue2you
    10:54 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Yeah when you start throwing F-bombs around in a public forum much less a press conference then it’s time to be publicly condemned. Cousins is a loose cannon and he deserves to be called out for his inappropriate display. There’s ways to communicate what he wanted to express without being classless and completely disrespectful of the fact that young people everywhere are observing you’re behavior and your commentary.

• ClutchCargo
      11:04 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

So Cousins saying a bad word in a press conference is worse than a bunch of fans cheering a player’s injury? Got it.

• katmandue2you
      11:29 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Two wrongs don’t make a right. Like I said he could’ve expressed what he wanted without the garbage. Got it???

• StillBP
      11:10 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Yeah that wasn’t exactly a press conference. Public forum, sure. He was emotional after what happened and the way the crowd cheered his “brother’s” injury. Sure, it’s not nice to curse but it does happen frequently. Just because he plays basketball doesn’t mean he has to be a role model to your kid or anyone’s kid.

• Cokely53
      11:49 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

A loose cannon? Sounds more like a butt hurt Louisville fan. It was a an interview with adults around and his words get censored. Grow up baby. Athletes have acted that way since the dawn of time. Kids see that stuff everywhere. Should he have said it? No but to condemn him for sticking up for his teammate is absurd and shows your ignorance

• ClutchCargo
      12:50 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

What two wrongs? I only counted one: the idiot fans cheering about an injury. Who is the victim of those comments? I mean besides your overly sensitive ears? Pretty sure he communicated exactly the message he was going for by using that language.

• nocode96
      1:30 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Are you really trying to take the moral high ground saying cursing is worse than fans cheering a terrible injury? Wow! What are you, 60? It’s 2019, people don’t have to hide f bombs or any other curse word, it’s in our nomenclature. There are homeless children in our streets and vets that are treated like garbage by our own government and citizens, women get assaulted and the dude doing it gets no punishment because judges don’t want to “ruin their lives”, unwanted dogs are left in garbage bags on our city streets and f*ck is the sword you’re going to die on?

• nosewhistle
      3:09 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

You’re not ok with Cousins dropping an F-bomb, but you’re totally cool with him being condemned by a guy on the radio saying he should “shut the hell up and for once act like a freaking professional”?

Not liking someone’s choice of words is all on you. I guess the old saying should be changed to sticks & stones will break my bones but words will totally upset me and make me post on a website about your inappropriate display.

• Nickerbocker05
      3:51 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Get off your high horse katmanduché! You probably sucked every dick to get where your at in life.

6. brb_skywalking
    10:59 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Oh no, Boogie said some curse words! Think of the women and children! If that’s all this guy has to complain about then it sounds like he’s the one who needs to grow up and be a professional. Welcome to the real world buddy – cussing has become second nature. Quit throwing a tantrum because Boogie left Sacramento for greener pastures and get over yourself

7. sportsbird66
    11:01 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

I hope all of that is untrue.

• UKPROF
      12:41 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Me too, but sometimes, if we allow ourselves to be honest, the truth hurts.

• 4everUKblue
      2:36 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been waiting for some words of wisdom from the prof, he always seems to feel smarter than everyone else.

• Nickerbocker05
      3:55 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Hahahaha

• Luether
      7:53 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

It’s not…

8. 2Dogs
    11:03 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Well this guy is a member of the media, just like the KSR writers, and he’s making a statement about his personal observations of Cousins over the time he was in Sacramento. Why should he withhold his opinion? Just because Cousins played at UK or has done some good things for the community doesn’t mean he isn’t a jerk other times as well. Napear is entitled to his opinion the same as the writers on this site. And personally I like Cousins.

• StillBP
      11:13 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

And ksr is entitled to their opinion about his opinion. We all are entitled to our opinions on everything, isn’t that fun?!?

• 2Dogs
      12:03 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Are you asking me if it’s fun to make a snide comment? I wouldn’t know. I try to avoid it even though it’s passed out like candy by some.

9. Kyceltsfan
    11:09 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Cousins is my favorite Calipari era player and I dont understand the way he is sometimes but I feel like this time he is justified. Seeing those fans cheer at KD getting injured reminded me so much of when Tim Couch was on the field concussed while the Cleveland fans cheered.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:09 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

I’m not mad at the guy for stating his opinion. But he just picked a strange time to rip Cousins when he was right about what he said in that press conference. Why not blast him about that other stuff back when it supposedly happened, or even in the years since then?

11. bigblue2284
    11:16 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

“no one idolizes superstar athletes” I can’t roll my eye hard enough at this statement, it’s laughable. I like Cousins I think he is probably an immature spoiled person though. I also suspect much of his behavior at UK was concealed by Cal protecting his brand for the NBA. I think the fans cheering was before they realized how serious the injury was, I’d like to think people are better than that.

• StuckinLville
      11:29 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Was you watching it? One guy on the baseline was waving by to KD when he was on the ground grabbing his ankle. I know the fans were already cheering because of the steal and foul, but once KD got up and was being helped off the cheered even louder. Raptors players were motioning for them to stop. So Cousins was absolutely right to put them on blast and if you can read lips, Thompson said that’s f***ed up when they were cheering. I dont know care who the player is, no one should be cheering an injury. As for this guys comments, why not say something prior? I think he is just making this garbage up. Yeah he has a temper on the court, but there has never been anything said of Cousins treating fans or anyone in public this way. They are just out to make him look like a bad a guy.

• bigblue2284
      11:47 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

I’m not saying they didn’t cheer, I’m just not sure they understood the seriousness of the injury. It had been said it was a calf injury, I suspect they thought he aggravated it again. To address your comment about trying to make Cousins look like a bad guy, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! Cousins has made himself look like a “bad guy” since HS. There is a reason Derrick Favors was drafted ahead of him.

• StuckinLville
      12:32 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

And what exactly has he done to look like a bad guy? Do bad guys dress up as Santa and take kids on shopping sprees? Do bad guys donate a million dollars of a max contract to the community? Do bad guys organize a panel and block party to discuss race relations? Need I go on? Some players are nasty on the court, doesnt mean they are nasty off of it.

• bigblue2284
      12:45 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

I believe Cousins is a decent person and I’m aware of the many good things he’s done for the community, those things shouldn’t be ignored and neither should the not so great things he does either. He was traded by the Kings in his prime as the best big man in basket ball, why do you think that is? He wasn’t resigned in NO do you know why? I have a few guesses. I’m guessing this media person you declaring a liar has spent much more time with Demarcus Cousins than you, I’ll listen to him before a fan who is too biased to look objectively at the situation.

• Nickerbocker05
      4:12 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Annnnd that’s what makes you an idiot.

• 4everUKblue
      2:40 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Any Raptor fan who didn’t realize the seriousness of the injury after KD had been sidelined for 32 days had to have been living in a cave. Regardless of the seriousness of an injury fans should never cheer when any player is injured, it’s classless.

• WildcatCam
      5:05 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

He said everyone (does) idolize the athlete and doesn’t respect who they are as people.

12. Ned T.
    11:32 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Boogie can be a good guy. but he chooses not to more often than not. His foul language in public reflects his true character.

• bulldog
      11:46 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely

• StuckinLville
      12:33 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

So cussing because people were just cheering for your teammates injury shows your true character? Lmao no it means he’s human and pissed just as you would be if it were your teammate. Why is everyone so concerned about what he said instead of the nasty display that Toronto fans put on? I dont blame him one bit for what he said.

• davisfeathers
      1:09 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

his language was totally appropriate given the situation. You’re right, his true character shines in this situation, because he knows wrong from right. The fans were wrong.

• 4everUKblue
      2:42 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

So youre saying that anyone who curses in public is of low character. Good to know Reverend Ned and Reverend Bulldog. How about judge not lest ye be judged?

• 4everUKblue
      2:45 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Given the logic that anyone who uses foul language in public is of bad character really narrows the number of high character people in the world of which I would guess Ned T and bulldog are two?

• Ned T.
      8:55 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Exactly, thanks for agreeing. It is classless to swear in public, period. And, to do it frequently is a character flaw.

Love puddles.

13. Bluebloodtoo
    11:43 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

So this media guy is a sexist, huh? Do ladies deserve to be treated different than everyone else? Why is it important to call out the fact that they were ladies? I thought ladies wanted equality?
    Ok, i do agree that boogie could have found a better way to communicate those feelings. I also think cousins has every right to communicate those feelings, just the same way that this media guy had the right to communicate his feelings. Was the media guy better in his blasting of cousins because he didn’t use curse words? No! He’s blasting cousins the same way that cousins blasted the fans. The behavior itself is no different between the two of them, only the words are different.

14. bulldog
    11:46 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

Katmandue2you- I agree 100%. The guy is crude.

15. ohiokatfan
    11:53 am June 12, 2019 Permalink

I do not deny that Cousins has done some great things in his communities. And he deserves praise for that.

However, that does not give him a free pass to act however he wants at other times nor does it make him I immune to criticism when he acts like an idiot.

I find truth in the comments of both Cousins and this announcer.

16. Han
    12:25 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

He cursed at women? Oh sweet mercy! Let me clutch my pearls and admonish him for such churlish behavior!

• Big Sexy
      12:33 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

So it’s acceptable behavior in your opinion?

17. Big Sexy
    12:32 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been waiting on Cousins to grow up for a while. I made excuses for him, “he’s just a little immature, he’ll grow out of it”. It’s not this rant that I’m talking about but years and years of this type of behavior. I don’t think he’s a bad person but I think there’s still an angry young man inside of him that lashes out.

• Luether
      7:55 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Agree. I’ve seen more class in a roach…

18. ukcamel
    12:45 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Am I the only one that thinks that Raptors fans “cheering” wasn’t a big deal, Cousins being upset about it and swearing wasn’t a big deal, and this clown trying to siphon off some attention concerning the whole thing should just be ignored? I mean, none of this matters. I’d rather talk about the game.

• Bluebloodtoo
      1:41 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

I think the fans cheering for someone’s misfortune is classless. I don’t think you’d ever see that at a UK game. I hope you wouldn’t…

• ukcamel
      9:08 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

You wouldn’t see it outside the student section at UK – we have too many longtime fans that would shut that down fast. I’m not saying it isn’t classless, I’m just not willing to get my panties in a bunch standing up for Kevin Durant.

19. John Henry
    12:54 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

This is the American culture. Very low class and crude. Look around it is every where. Not just Cousins. Cousins is part of a culture that is out of the ghetto. You can remove him but no way you get that out of his character. So why be concerned. Most Americans accept it and endorse it. I am sorry the Sacramento radio man does not understand. But most basketball fans do understand. Cousin may very well be a thug but he is our thug. .

Your grandmother may not understand but she lived in yesterday and yesterday is gone. So let’s all move on.

20. Nolecat21
    1:42 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Cousins wasn’t resigned in NO because of money/injury/future unknown situation. Please don’t make it out like something it’s not. It’s why Golden State took a chance on him with the unknown future situation. He was obviously a steal at that price. Had he stayed healthy, Davis probably wouldn’t be wanting out of NO either.

• bigblue2284
      3:28 pm June 12, 2019 Permalink

Money wasn’t why he wasn’t resigned in NO, he played for the minimum with GST this year. The fact is Cousins is a really good player when healthy, but not good enough for teams to want to deal with his attitude. I root for him but seeing him lecture people on how they should be acting is absurd, this is the same guy that will throw an absolute temper tantrum at the drop of a dime.

• Cokely53
      10:30 am June 13, 2019 Permalink

Big blue you are completely wrong. They didn’t resign him because the Achilles is one of the hardest injuries to come back from. They saw they could sign Randle for cheaper and didn’t think the production would fall off as much and would be guaranteed a healthy player. Had nothing to do with his attitude. He was great in NO

21. UKrulesall