After leaving the bubble three weeks ago due to a fractured right thumb, former Kentucky guard Rajon Rondo is headed back to Orlando.
In a media opportunity on Tuesday, Los Angeles Lakers head coach Frank Vogel said Rondo will travel to Florida today, with ESPN reporting that the former Wildcat is hoping to continue his rehabilitation closer to the league’s setup at the ESPN World Wide of Sports Complex.
“He’s making his way to Florida tomorrow and will spend a certain period of time outside of the bubble before he’s reintegrated inside of the bubble,” Vogel said.
The NBA veteran suffered the injury during the Lakers’ second practice and left the bubble to undergo surgery on July 16. At the time, the team announced a six-to-eight-week timeline for recovery.
While we didn’t get an official update on Rondo’s specific return to action date, Vogel previously noted that he expected to have the 34-year-old point guard back “somewhere around the first, second round of the playoffs.”
“We’re very confident that he’ll be able to get back and be a major factor for us in our playoff run,” said Vogel.
Rondo will have to quarantine for four days before returning to action.
On the year, the former Wildcat is averaging 7.1 points, five assists and three rebounds in 48 games with the Lakers.