Nerlens Noel surprised a Lexington high school kid

More from the Nerlens-Noel-Is-A-Good-Person Department, the former Kentucky big man surprised a Lexington high school student with the trip of a lifetime last night. Braxton Upthegrove, a basketball manger at Henry Clay who is awaiting a kidney transplant, received a video message from Nerlens during halftime of a game at the high school Tuesday evening. Nerlens told him he is flying Braxton and his mother to Thursday’s game against the Miami Heat and then they’ll spend the weekend together playing video games.

Can you think of a former UK player, or a player from anywhere for that matter, who does so much good off the court? It seems Nerlens Noel has a story similar to this one for every blocked shot he had at Kentucky. He’s a great young man who understands the importance of giving back, with a bigger heart than you’ll find on most 19-year-olds.

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for Nerlens Noel surprised a Lexington high school kid

1. The Loco Pollo
    10:23 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

Very kind of Nerlens. What a great dude.

Enjoy, Braxton, and best of luck to you. Keep fighting.

2. mikeyUKfan
    10:33 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

What a BIG HEART Nerlens has, makes me proud to be a UK fan.
    Braxton, I know you will enjoy your time with Nerlens. I’ll pray for you. God bless
    Go Big Blue ! ! !

3. D
    10:34 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

Cleveland is already looking silly for drafting Bennett. Wait til our man Noel spreads his cheer on the court! You da man big fella!

4. Syrin
    10:43 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

This kind of stuff is the reason Nerlens and Patrick Patterson are two of my all time favorite UK players. Genuinely good guys.

5. Joe Dennison
    10:47 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

I am not surprised at what the flat to feller does to help where he can. I am proud of all our athletes/students who do good things for a lot of people.

6. inside info
    10:53 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

What a great guy and thanks KSR for posting.

7. Krispy Kreme
    11:08 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

Nerlens is one of my all-time favorites. He gave everything on the court and is such a kind young man. I am so proud that he represents the UK program with such class.

8. Character Issues
    11:39 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

Character issues hurt him at the draft tho

• colonelcat
      12:34 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

How so?

• jus sayin
      12:49 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Is that a damn joke? Cause it’s not a good one.

• Dingo
      2:03 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Intelligence issues hurt you in that post tho. You’re an idiot.

• M
      4:11 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Or, he could be being sarcastic since they were trying to question his character and his inner-circle prior to the draft. There’s that.

• king cat
      6:58 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I do hope you’re not a card fan, making statements like this.

9. BlueRedNeck
    11:45 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

I love having Nerlens as a Wildcat! Can’t think of any young man who played ball at UK who has more class than him. Good luck with your recovery and NBA career, Nerlens. May good fortune be in your future. BBN loves Nerlens!

10. Daniel
    11:54 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

He has done SO much good, it’s unbelievable… it’s a shame he doesn’t get much credit outside of Kentucky but it’s great that’s not the point

11. bluegrass79
    11:55 am January 15, 2014 Permalink

Nerlens is looking quite thin.

12. J-Dub421
    12:11 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Nerlens is a great player, but an even better person.

13. Come on
    12:19 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

In our thoughts
    In our speach
    In our hearts

14. NerlensForPres
    12:55 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Nerlens has to be the most selfless UK player I can remember…especially at this age. It is somewhat easy for someone with money to donate, look good, but never really get involved. He got involved before he made the NBA money and still does afterwards while also giving out of his pocket. He is a fantastic and unique individual. Thrills me that he went to UK, but I would be just as impressed if he hadn’t.

15. Seth
    12:58 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

Seeing this makes thinking about his injury that much more heartbreaking. He was robbed of his time playing at UK. Nerlens, Boogie, and Cobb have the biggest hearts in the BBN!

16. Herewego
    1:33 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m a Lville fan but always thought Noel was a class act. I wish a lot of my fellow Cards fans would look past the team and realize that players like Noel are just great ambassadors of the game.

17. Lisa
    2:33 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

What a great story. Nerlens didn’t even get to play a full season at UK. He could have easily left and never looked back. But he’s still giving back to Lexington and it’s great. Nerlens gets it. Best of luck to him in his career. I know Braxton will have a great time!

18. king cat
    6:55 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I said when Nerlens hurt his knee last year that no matter how bad it turned out to be, that Nerlens would be successful in life because of events like this. I still think that way, he’s just a fine young man.

19. Beverly Upthegove
    9:43 pm January 15, 2014 Permalink

I can’t begin to tell you how happy I am for my grandson to be able to go watch this game. Thank you Nerlens Noel for making Braxton dream came true you are awesome person with a big heart.