NBA official comes out as gay following homophobic slurs by Rondo

Longtime NBA official Bill Kennedy, one of the league’s best and most respected officials, came out to Yahoo Sports as a gay man.

Kennedy told Yahoo last night, “I am proud to be an NBA referee and I am proud to be a gay man. I am following in the footsteps of others who have self-identified in the hopes that will send a message to young men and women in sports that you must allow no one to make you feel ashamed of who you are.”

Kennedy’s decision to open up came two weeks after Rajon Rondo fired homophobic slurs toward Kennedy after Rondo’s ejection from Sacramento’s December 3rd game in Mexico City.

Multiple reports allege Rondo yelled, “You’re a mother——- faggot. … You’re a f—— faggot, Billy.”

The former Kentucky star will serve his one-game suspension tomorrow night, costing him $86,300 in pay.

That punishment is not enough.

As a UK and Sacramento Kings fan, I try so hard to like Rondo, but he makes it impossible. For a guy to be so good at basketball, he is even better at being an unlikable human being.

Article written by Drew Franklin

58 Comments for NBA official comes out as gay following homophobic slurs by Rondo

1. leon singleton
    6:53 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

I support Rando calling a gay man a gay is not wrong. Calling a straight man gay would be wrong.

• kvltclassic
      6:57 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

What? He wasn’t like “Hey Bill, you’re gay right?”

2. blitzedanddazed
    7:08 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Hate that Rondo is a representative in anyway of the University of Kentucky. Hopefully his ignorant bigoted behavior will not be tolerated in the NBA. Cal needs to leave this guy alone.

3. Catsby80
    7:10 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Does/Did Rondo know that the ref is gay? If so, then this is pretty low on Rondo’s part. If he didn’t know that he’s gay and he said that out of frustration, then I think this is a little different. I’m not saying what he said is right, but taking it out of context leaves me to wonder if there is more to the story.

4. mobile2
    7:16 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

* insert PC Principal rant here *

5. rainman
    7:17 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Lost all respect for Rhondo! Absolutely no excuse for that type behavior
    in todays world. Whatever the punishment, it isn’t enough!

6. sincitycat
    7:26 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Blitz, What you said.

7. The Frizz
    7:27 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Always remember to say what the tolerant ones expect you to say and you will have no problems. It’s known in the Bill of Rights as the Right to Free Expression of What is Considered Good and Tolerated by Others. It’s in there. Check it out.

• Cats or Die
      7:38 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

So by your own admission you’re not tolerant? In what universe is being part of a group of people who aren’t tolerant to people of different sexual dispositions, races, or religions desirable. As one of the “tolerant ones” I think I speak for us all when I say you do you, Frizz, and we’ll keep trying to make this world a better place by tolerating you doing it.

• Cats or Die
      7:40 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

And the First Amendment protects you from government persecution, not from your employer (the NBA) or from Drew Franklin.

• jonthes
      7:44 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

You’re free to say anything, but not from the consequences of it.

8. The Frizz
    7:29 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Just remember, though, that the tolerant ones get to say whatever they want. You are the only one governed by the Right to Free Expression of What is Considered Good and Tolerated by Others. But remember, it’s freedom. Sort of.

9. Rise
    7:42 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

What happened to stick and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me? This PC shit is making the world soft. Man the heck up.

• jonthes
      7:45 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Too many people get their bones broken from that kind of stupid hatred. You think it’s fine because they aren’t your bones.

• The Frizz
      7:52 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Yep. Looks like Rondo took the dude out. I mean look at the twigs on the ref.

10. jonthes
    7:43 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Rondo was a jerk at UK; besides the personal garbage (ask Sparks), Tubby had to bench him half the season to try to break his bad attitude, then against UConn with a stellar chance to upset the overall #1 seed his recklessness and weakness on defense killed it (lost by 4). I was happy to see him go, even if it meant the next year was rocky. Talent isn’t everything in any field.
    As for those complaining about PC – insert an insult about whatever your particular background or life choices are here. You shouldn’t have to have garbage thrown at you to recognize it.

• The Frizz
      7:54 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

But maybe you should recognize that people can say what they want. You cannot control everyone. What you can control is how you react. If you recognize it as garbage, accept it as garbage. It’s that easy.

11. jim111
    7:45 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

No shortage of bigots in the UK fan base. Head to Eastern Ky. for the biggest fan base and the highest % of bigots.

• winagain1
      7:52 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

So true! I have lived in Eastern Kentucky my whole life and I’m still shocked at how many Tennessee fans their are in Corbin and Middlesboro…. I just don’t get it.

• eyebleedblue
      8:15 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure you admitted to being a bigot towards people from Eastern Kentucky right there. While everyone else posting so far, has taken up for gay rights or free speech. You however are what you claim to dislike.

• ClutchCargo
      12:01 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Jim111 – congratulations on being the first proven bigot on this thread.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:16 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

2 people have ‘liked’ Jim111’s comment…

The Louisville trolls are among us.

12. psuegobigblue
    7:45 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Agree totally with Drew and each of you that feel Rondo is an exception rather than the rule when it comes to being a representative of BIG BLUE NATION. With money, athleticism, and stardom there needs to be humility. He has none. Why do you think this is his 3RD NBA team?

13. david8577
    7:45 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

You can take the kid out of Louisville, but you can’t take the Louisville out of the kid.

14. old coyote
    8:07 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Rondo is sometimes like Drew Franklin,very hard to like. Biggest difference is sometimes we like Rajon’s work.

15. orney focker
    8:17 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

In the good ole days that’s what kept them in the closet, I really miss the good ole days…. Sick of hearing how they are mistreated, America has become way to sympathetic and wishy washy, if you want to be gay, be gay but don’t think you will force me to like it. Focker out!

• Chuck Norris
      8:52 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Someone who copies a catchphrase coined by Ryan Seacrest might want to take a look at the walls, to make sure they’re not in the closet themselves.

16. Kentucky Ben
    8:59 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

I hope this man finds Jesus because he needs him as do all people especially LGBT people. But he should no longer be respected and no one should support his decision not him HIS DECISION it pains me that people would support LGBT peoples decision and even celebrate it it is a sin so in other words PEOPLE ARE CELEBRATING SIN AND ITS JUST PLAIN WRONG AND STUPID AND A SIN ITSELF and that should bother people that there sinning against God and his law because he is the WORLDS LAW and the punishment for breaking that law is much worse than Jail

• The Original WTF Guy
      9:16 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

LOL!!! Very good, Kentucky Ben. I mean, what you wrote is to be taken as a joke, isn’t it? If not, would you mind changing you screen name to Tennessee Ben or Mississippi Ben or just Imadumbass?

• chimichanga
      9:44 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

You are distorting the intention of a 2000 year old book to justify your personal bigotry toward gays. No one should support your decision.

• ukbradstith
      9:55 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

So, Ben says nothing hateful, but gets nasty comments. Makes you no better. I believe in sin too. Even if the manual is 2000 yeas old.

• BigBlueBoom
      10:12 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Sweet baby Jesus, what does Ben have against punctuation? Try putting a decent sentence together, Ben, then maybe someone will take you seriously… Well actually they still probably won’t but at least you won’t look like a moron.

• J-Dub421
      12:25 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Have you ever eaten bacon Ben? If so, you’ve sinned according to the bible.

• J-Dub421
      12:52 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

You have a very vile mouth, much like your hero Rondo. There are only two references to homosexuality in the bible, but there are 6-8 references (I can’t remember the exact number) to how eating cloven hooved animals (pork) is a sin and unclean. So if you’re going to run your mouth about homosexuality being a sin and telling people they’re going to hell for it, then eating pork is also a sin and you’re going to hell for it.

• J-Dub421
      1:06 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Leviticus 11:7-8 And the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. You shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you.

Leviticus 11:7 And the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you.

Deuteronomy 14:8 And the pig, because it parts the hoof but does not chew the cud, is unclean for you. Their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch.

• Kentucky Ben
      8:00 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Ive Sinned everybodys sinned BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE IT RIGHT. By the way LGBT people are just plain gross the bible doesnt directly reference Gays and Lesbians but IT DOES SAY that a marriage is between a Man and a woman, transferring Genders is stupid God made you a man or woman for a purpose and he makes no mistakes. I have eaten bacon but i aont no jew and i have bad puncuation and spelling cuz im on a Phone

• UK Big Board Update
      8:14 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

^ Its 2016 Ben. Will your Neanderthal ass please catch up to modern times?

Good grief, that might be the most ignorant shit I’ve ever read on here, and that’s saying something.

Oh, and I’m on a phone, too.

Oink Oink, eat up SINNER!! 😉

17. cmdiggity
    9:31 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Agree with 3… Leave it to the commentators on this site to act just like their favorite news organizations and make something more than they KNOW it to be.
    The guy came out as gay afterwards. He CAME OUT AFTER… So unless Rondo is magic he wasn’t intentionally calling a gay man a hateful term. A term which is extremely popular in his cultural upbringing (and Mine) as a derogatory statement.
    That said, he is not excused by the fact he didn’t know. He should not call anyone that regardless of orientation. So feel free to feed the fire Drew, but you better hope I or Noone ever hears you some something is dumb, or retarded in a negative fashion. You now have to hold yourself to the same standard you hold him. I’m betting you’re just as offensive.

• Keith Biggins
      9:41 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

It appears you are the one that is acting like you know that whole situation. Its widely known in NBA circles that Bill Kennedy is gay. There was a book that came out like 5 years ago regarding the ref that was throwing games and it was alluded to in there as well. In short, Rondo knew exactly what he was doing. Hopefully you can find another way to judge those you dislike.

18. Pastor Bob
    9:51 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

I agree that Rondo is not the greatest representative of Kentucky basketball and his mouth and actions are not the best. But how many of you take the Lord’s name in vain, but yet few come to the Lord’s defense. Perhaps what is causing the USA to lose some of it’s righteousness. is that people have forgot that all of us have faults and sins, and we need the grace of God more than ever. As a pastor I never correct anyone that takes the Lord’s name in vain, but I sure do spend a lot of time praying for the Lord’s grace to be upon them.
    If someone is constantly telling you you are bad, you will become bad. I believe that somewhere in life Rondo became a fighter to survive. He has never found the mercy and grace of God. He is in need of Mercy and Grace just as I once was. I will not condemn him or judge him, because I still need the same mercy and grace to get me thru each day. Even as as pastor I have yet, at 64 years of age got thru one day without sin. As for me and my household we continue to pray for him

19. JewelieLou
    9:52 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

I totally agree that what he said is wrong and should not be tolerated. He is being punished as he should be, there is no reason for that kind of language to be used.

I disagree with the fact that his is unlikeable though. He does a tremendous amount of charity work for children in Louisville. His charity work does not get the publicity of that of other former players, but he does a great deal of good.

• WeareBBN
      10:11 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Good representation for kids. Maybe at his next charity event he can play the video of him yelling those comments at an authority figure….that is just what the kids need to learn. Dude is just a jerk.

20. Marty
    11:30 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

While Rondo shouldn’t have said it in the way he did. He is correct, and /all/ sexual sin is sin, yet it’s all accepted by the majority. Problem is, the book they say is outdated/antiquated is still as relevant today as it was when the 40 authors through the inspiration of God, wrote it over a 1,500 year period. So yes Rondo probably shouldn’t have said anything at all, because I’m sure players know whether a person is out or not, no matter who it is. from owners to the janitors and that includes fellow players. He certainly should have cleaned it up and for the way he said it the punishment is enough. However, he shouldn’t have said it to begin with.

21. TorpedoVegas
    7:20 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

A lot of knuckle draggers in this comment section.

22. chadtrill
    8:34 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

All these people jumping on this opportunity to argue about the morality of a person being gay cracks me up. Go back and read the comments and you will see a couple trends.

#1. There are some people that are so vehemently against anyone being gay, quick to quote scripture, and ready to take up for someone who has done something wrong to someone who is openly gay no matter what it was. These people have the absolute worst grammar and punctuation that you will ever see. It’s pretty funny.

#2. There are also some people that are so quick to jump into the conversation to call them bigots, talk about how the scripture needs new interpretation, and speak in big bold letters to let the world know they are loud and proud and out for everyone to see. It’s also pretty funny.

23. emlang08
    8:38 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Is there ANY reason sexual preference should be an issue on this Sports Blog??? If so…… Will you all lighten up on Rondo if he holds a 30 minute press conference to confirm to the world that he is a proud Straight man, and that he lives his life that way in hopes that his openness will help others to not hide from who they really are?

24. nagnuggts
    8:52 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Urban Dictionary states

hypocrite

(1) A person who engages in the same behaviors he condemns others for.

(2) A person who professes certain ideals, but fails to live up to them.

(3) A person who holds other people to higher standards than he holds himself.

25. Rajonrondo9
    9:30 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Man up you wuss. So what he’s gay. Rondo is straight. If ref called him straight would it be a big deal? Tired of this PC bull.

• J-Dub421
      9:54 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

If the ref called Rondo the n-word would you feel the same way?

• Rajonrondo9
      9:59 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Yes, cus the ref was black. NBA players use it all the time.

• J-Dub421
      12:54 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

That doesn’t make it okay. A person should be able to do their job without having people scream obscenities at them.

26. justamanfromky
    9:57 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

America is way too politically correct! There are so many bitches here it is insane. Do words really hurt people that much? Americans need to stop getting offended by every little thing!

27. catfan19
    10:12 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Oh my goodness. This isn’t a religious issue; this isn’t a gay rights issues; this isn’t a PC issue. This is an issue of being a respectful person IN THE WORKPLACE. Good lord, my boss wouldn’t tolerate me calling anyone names no matter how ‘worked up’ I got. Just because it’s sports, just because it’s ‘manly’ doesn’t mean you are free to behave as badly as you want to. Tell the ref he’s wrong; tell him why he’s wrong. Call him names? Surely you’re better than that Rondo.

28. UK Big Board Update
    11:47 am December 15, 2015 Permalink

Look at all the redneck Republicans coming out of the woodwork!! LOL

• J-Dub421
      12:55 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

I am annoyed my normal comment got moderated, but Rajonrondo9’s dick in the ass comment didn’t get moderated. WTF?

• UK Big Board Update
      1:03 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

I’m still trying to understand what the reasoning was for making us register, when there are still hateful negative nancies and trolls still running amok.

29. Saul T. Nuts
    2:44 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

Geez, everyone is so sensitive. Haven’t we all lashed out and regretted our words or actions? I was playing ball last week, and I ticked another player off, and he called me an old, bald guy. I’m sensitive about my hairline, but I know it was said in the heat of the moment, so whoop de doo. I’m not going to demand an apology.

30. rdhack
    8:39 pm December 15, 2015 Permalink

He probably didn’t even know he was gay.