NBA ‘Cats Weekend Recap (December 13-15)

NBA 'Cats

15 of the 22 former Kentucky Wildcats on NBA rosters logged in-game minutes this past weekend, though it was the stars of the 2009-10 Southeastern Conference champions who once again shone the brightest.

Washington Wizards PG John Wall posted back-to-back double-doubles on Friday and Saturday evening, though neither effort was enough to halt the Wizards’ current 4-game losing streak. Wall finished with 13 points and 11 assists– on woeful 6-22 (.273) shooting– in a 2-point road loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Friday, but bounced back with 24 points and 12 assists the very next night.

Phoenix PG Eric Bledsoe scored 24 points, dished out 8 assists, and grabbed 8 rebounds last night in a 106-102 win over the Golden State Warriors, notching the latest W in the Suns’ current 5-game win streak. However, it was in Bledsoe’s Friday night contest with DeMarcus Cousins’ new-look Sacramento Kings that the misfortune of Friday the 13th began to rear its ugly head. While Bledsoe recorded the weekend’s top scoring performance with 28 points (complemented by 8 assists and 5 rebounds), and Cousins kickstarted his weekend with a 16-rebound, 15-point, 5-assist, 5-steal showing in the loss, DeMarcus garnered the attention of ‘Cats fans tuning into the game for all the wrong reasons mid-way through the 3rd quarter.

After earning his league-leading 7th technical foul of the 2013-14 season, Boogie was making his way toward the Kings bench when he appeared to bump into the shoulder of former Wildcat and current Suns rookie Archie Goodwin, who was standing with his own team near the Phoenix bench. Goodwin, one of only three active NBA players under the age of 20, briefly paused in his clapping to reach out and touch the passing Cousins on the shoulder in what appeared to be a friendly gesture following the aforementioned contact. La familia or not, DeMarcus was obviously not in the loving mood, as evidenced by his immediate reaction to Archie that included a swift turnaround and a succinct jawing. Archie remained calm and collective as the altercation fizzled to an end. Watch the video below and make your own judgments:

Cousins capped off the weekend with 21 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists on Sunday during a 106-91 win over Terrence Jones (who logged 15 minutes while battling flu-like symptoms) and the Houston Rockets. The 15-point win was the franchise’s largest margin of victory over the Rockets since 2003.

Philadelphia 76ers big man Daniel Orton, another product of Cal’s inaugural recruiting class, also suffered through a fit of aggression this weekend that resulted in a one-game suspension without pay for both himself and Portland Trail Blazers center Meyers Leonard. Check out video of the scuffle (which led to both players’ early ejection) below:

Lastly, Patrick Patterson, the fifth and final player from Kentucky’s record 2010 NBA Draft class, ended his weekend on a much brighter note than his two former teammates. The Huntington, WV native made his playing debut with the Toronto Raptors, resulting in back-to-back wins on Friday and Saturday. Patterson highlighted his weekend with 12 points and 2-2 shooting from behind the 3-point arc in a 99-77 win over Marquis Teague, Nazr Mohammed, and the Chicago Bulls on Saturday. The performance was Pat’s first double-digit scoring outing in two weeks.

The weekend’s game logs for all 15 NBA ‘Cats are compiled below:

(Click image to enhance)

(Click image to enhance)

All statistics courtesy of ESPN.com

@Condre3000_KSR

Article written by Connor Link

#FreeEnes

27 Comments for NBA ‘Cats Weekend Recap (December 13-15)

1. Douglas Vowels
    10:45 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

I am really tired of Cousins. He never ceases to disappoint people. Archie is a fellow UK player and was only (it appears) greeting Cousins. Cousins’ reaction is typical and is a reason why he is not a well liked player. It is nice that Cousins shops for kids. Lots of players do. Does not give a reason to lash out unprovoked.

2. IApprove
    10:53 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

I still love Boogie and couldn’t care less what he does to Archie.

3. Michael F. Jox
    10:55 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

No video of the big punk getting swatted by a Plumlee!?

4. Bottom Line
    10:56 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

It is time to fess up! There has been some great players recruited to KY. But we have been more obsessed with the players and what they are doing in the NBA rather than what a few did for our college program. I agree these gifted players need and deserve to be rewarded with the dollars from the NBA but they first need to be great college players. Last year and so far this year it is about the NBA and not UK. Says here the coach may be selling the NBA a little too much. College first then NBA!!

• niaps
      11:02 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

I agree totally my friend. This players first thing sucks in my book as it should be school first. I hate seeing this great basketball program turning into an NBA farm team.

• The Loco Pollo
      11:07 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

Huh? Are you saying Cousins & Wall weren’t great players at UK? Are you saying that rather than follow what guys like MKG & Davis are doing after they leave UK that we should just recount tales of their playing days at UK over and over? This post wasn’t about this year’s team.

• Dacci
      12:35 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

You are both welcome to root for the school first team up i64. BBN doesn’t need you.

5. I. Melvin
    11:03 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

Yawn. Get back to me when you’re writing articles about Kentucky’s great win over the weekend.

Greatest day in the history of Kentucky Basketball, my ass.

6. MC
    11:10 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

REVIEW THE KENTUCKY LOSS, I dont care about the pros. Most of those kids spent 9 months in Lexington. Few UK fans care about that. Are we in the top 20 now even? The UK pros were beaten by a UNC team without its top 2 players. Think about that.

• ukbradstith
      11:21 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

They already have like 5 posts reviewing the loss. Do some research before posting things like this. I love post like this since I don’t closely follow the NBA until the college season is over. We weren’t favored against UNC, so why is it a shock we lost? UNC beat the pre season top 3 (mich st., U of L, and us). Terrible post.

7. Douglas Vowels
    11:19 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

Agree absolutely. We need college players and not pro players. Hope they all make money some time. In the meantime, we need to make wins. Each year we have not had strong veteran players on the team, we have struggled.

8. Well well well
    11:23 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

Well although Cousins is somewhat of a lunatic (still love him thought) I find it wildly inappropriate that a player for the opposing team who is on the bench reaches out and touches ANY player during a game. I’m not so sure Archie wasn’t the one to blame here.

9. Curadhan
    11:23 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

I love the fact that these guys have renewed my interest in the NBA outside of my Lakers. I harsince gotten the NBA ticket and watch our guys anytime I can. For me it extends Kentucky basketball well beyond March. I enjoy the heck out of it. Everytime one of them steps on court they say former Kentucky player…and you think people and future recruits arent seeing that? It pays dividends! Tell me a better consecutive 5 years in Kentucky basketball history since maybe 1993-98?? And the script ain’t finished in this season by a dang sight! Sorry you guys cant see that.

10. Musehobo
    11:28 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s difficult for UK fans to process our relationships with some of the players that have went through here in the last few years. This Cousins/Archie situation is perfect for analyzing what exactly is important to you when thinking about which players you like. For example:

Cousins: Played great at UK, led us to Sweet 16, rising NBA star, severe attitude problems now, attitude was somewhat kept in check while at UK.

Goodwin: Played “well” at UK (led team in scoring I think), but part of a horrid team. and playing style frustrated fans. Just starting his NBA career, always played hard at UK, though some would call him “uncoachable” while here.

If I analyze it this way: I enjoyed Cousin’s time here more than Goodwin’s. But I like Archie as a person slightly more. Cousins does a lot for charity and the BBN, but if he had played for anyone other than UK, I would probably hate the guy.

That being said, on the court Cousins is an embarrassment (attitude, not gameplay) to UK, and I have more respect for him. But let’s not lose focus of the fact that we idolize these guys too much, and they are humans who make mistakes. Due to the culture that many of the players grow up in, they are exposed to a lot of violence and crime, part of the reason we see such high rates in professional sports. A lot of these guys are worthy to be looked up to, and a lot of them aren’t. Honestly, when evaluating whether I like a guy or not, I think about whether I would want my son to look up to them. but it’s still hard. So what is more important to you, their time here, or who they are now? I’m sorry, but to me, What Richie Farmer did makes me dislike him. And no matter how good he was here, I can’t like the guy.

• Musehobo
      11:31 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

Sorry, I meant *”less” respect for Cousins, not “more”.

11. bung
    11:43 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

I like Big Cuz…we could prob use a little of that this year…

• jaws2
      11:52 am December 16, 2013 Permalink

Disagree, we could a LOT of that this year!

12. Basteballer
    12:09 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

I love Cousins! Maybe my favorite player of the Coach Cal era. I love his passion and his talent. And it doesn’t appear to me that he was jawing at Archie. It was the other dude that was mouthing off to him.

I absolutely LOVE that we have so many NBA players representing UK!! It’s great for recruiting and it does make me pay attention to the NBA in a way I never did before.

Everything Cal has brought to UK and more of it!! I’m all in!

13. BravoBigBlue
    12:26 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

That’s great. Give me more NBA news. That’s what I care about. That, and Bill Clinton, and Drake, and Nelson Mandela, and Cal’s new book, and draft picks, and players first, and losing to top 20 teams, and not making the NCAA tournament, and losing a first round NIT game, and LeBron (of course), and former Memphis and UMass players, and, did I mention Drake?

14. spookykim
    1:42 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

Stupid Sacramento should have never traded Patrick & Chuck — the two most level-headed members of the team. They deserve every technical that Cuz gets, & deserve every loss. Love Big Cuz, but don’t pick on one of our own — even if it’s Archie! Wonder if this came after Bledsoe blocked his shot?

15. JackB
    1:58 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

For me, Orton not finishing his semester has always made him persona non grata, but I don’t think he deserved the same punishment as the other guy. That guy did a (at least as shown in that clip) unprovoked hip toss on Orton from behind. Orton just made him pay for it while going to the floor. I’m assuming they were chippy earlier in the game, but based just on that Orton was not the aggressor and did not respond very much.

16. Mack
    2:12 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t seem that Boogie was talking to Archie but instead to whoever it was yelling at him in front of Archie but you didn’t see that Bledsoe was dong any talking.

17. kfund
    2:24 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

Daniel who?

18. Sonny
    2:59 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

Boogie was walking by there bench and a player reached out and pushed him. Yet he is getting the bad rap for telling them off. That’s funny as hell, there nothing wrong with boogie except the opposing team has no class to deal with his game other than try and get him thrown out. “Archie pushes him then hides behind another player talking at Boogie”.

Orton was thrown to the ground, the guy is lucky he has teeth left in his mouth. Say what you want but you can’t throw people around in the NBA, its not WWF.

• UK Fan in St. Louis
      5:26 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

This was exactly what I saw. As Boogie is walking by he feels a nudge on the shoulder… assumes it’s aggressiveness from the other team, and turns to let them have it. He was probably surprised to find himself yelling at Archie, who appears to be trying to let Boogie know everything was all good. Maybe Boogie should have looked first before reacting, but how can you blame him when he catches so many blind-side sucker punches as it is? Unfortunately Archie got “caught in the middle” so to speak, and it wasn’t particularly either’s fault. Just a bad series of events leading up to the reaction, but of course you’ve got to mute the announcers to see the truth.

19. Stay classy Sacramento
    3:09 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

Classless Cus being classless as usual. I’ve been amazed at how much this site worships him considering he’s the poster child for how not to be. He must of been very friendly with Matt and the writers while he was here. When Artest or any other player does such things BBN is quick to call them thugs and the N-word. He’s one of the biggest wastes of talent and size ever. He had the potential to be mentioned in the same sentences with players like Shaq. But he’s a total basket case and lazy on D.
    Where is Chuck Hayes on that wall? Is that him in the back dunking? Because it doesn’t look like him, although it’s very hard to see in that pic.

20. Chuck Hayes fan
    3:53 pm December 16, 2013 Permalink

I agree that Sacramento should not have traded Chuck Hayes and Patrick Patterson. Patterson is one of the only people in this world that Cousins will listen to.