My Fitbit’s Thursday Morning Wakeup

IMG_7213

Tuesday was a good Fitbit day.

As I expect many of you do, I have a love/hate relationship with my Fitbit. The story of how I even got one is kind of ridiculous. In short, someone (a 5’6″ 17-year-old boy also named Tyler Thompson) registered theirs with my email address by accident, so I received their progress reports. Even though I didn’t actually own the Fitbit, I felt guilty about the report telling me I’d only walked 1,500 steps that day. Get with it, fake Tyler Thompson! What a lazy ass, right? Who only walks 1,500 steps in a day?? It bothered me so much that I decided to get one of my own, and two weeks later, I don’t know if it’s changed my life, but it’s definitely made me more aware of it.

For those that don’t have one, a Fitbit is a fitness tracker that counts your steps per day, miles walked, heart rate, etc. It even tracks your sleep, which is kind of fascinating. The standard goal is to get 10,000 steps per day, which isn’t quite as easy as you would imagine, especially if you work from home like this blogger right here. I knew I had a tendency to be lazy on my days in front of the computer, but I had no idea just how bad it was. One day last week, I only got 3,000 steps and had to face the fact that sometimes, I’m a lazy ass, not much better than the other Tyler Thompson and his Fitbit.

Because I’m me, I am now obsessed with hitting my step goal, even if it means walking around the house in circles. Or doing jumping jacks before bed (1 jumping jack = 2 steps). Or looking up hacks like fastening your FitBit to a fan, or maybe even your dog. Don’t worry, I haven’t resorted to such desperate measures yet, but you better believe I was pacing my living room at 10 p.m. the other night waiting for that sweet buzz on my wrist to release me from its shackle of guilt. Am I getting more exercise? Yes. Am I crazier for it? Definitely.

Fellow Fitbit addicts, gimme a shoutout in the comments. Maybe we can make a group or something and be Fitbitter together. Sadly, I’m already looking forward to how many steps I’ll be taking walking around the tailgating lots at Commonwealth on September 5.

Plenty to do before then, so let’s get to it…

No practice report today

The team will practice today, but there’s no media availability, which means no updates from Stoops, Dawson, or Eliot. Don’t worry, we’ll still have plenty of football info coming your way from Freddie Maggard and Nick Roush.

The USA Basketball Training Camp rolls on in Vegas

Yesterday, we were treated to this epic pic of Cal, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis and John Wall at the Team USA Training Camp in Vegas, which will surely hang in the halls of the Joe Craft Center soon. I fully expect the four to go to recreate the old picture of them at a fancy dinner with a caption about who picks up the check at some point this week as well. Maybe Turtle will join them.

Jared Lorenzen’s quest to be the new Jets QB continues

When it was announced Jets starting QB Geno Smith would be out 6-10 weeks after getting sucker punched in the locker room, Jared Lorenzen lobbied for the job on Twitter and got immediate national attention. Yesterday, Jared did an AMA (chat) on Reddit and did the sports talk circuit, including this interview on The Rich Eisen Show:

Keep it up, Jared. Let’s make this happen.

Patrick Towles got up to some mischief

Did you hear about any Dementor attacks on campus last night? Exactly. Good job, Patrick.

Of all the UK Basketball trivia questions, ESPN chose this one for its calendar?

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 2.07.50 PM

@JustinRoberts15

I mean, that’s just cruel.

KSR is at All Sports at Fayette Mall in Lexington

If you’re in the area, come on out to see it on the field, see it on the court, pick it up at All Sports, pick it up at All Sports.

26 Comments for My Fitbit’s Thursday Morning Wakeup

1. Dizzyd2k3
    8:19 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

BBN 10AM!

2. lisa (kramer)
    8:19 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

I get so close to the 10,000 step mark but am too lazy to try everyday, but I myself have resorted to running or walking around the house some nights when I am a couple hundred away from 10,000!

3. chris
    8:27 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Expecto Patronum! Thats right patrick, I just saved your soul!

4. bgl24
    8:46 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Welcome to the fitbit dark side. Joining a KSR group would be all I need to plunge me into complete addiction.

5. JayH
    8:57 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

I have had my FitBit for about a week and a half and I feel the same as you. I work in an office with minimal opportunity for walking. I caught myself running in place in the restroom to boost my steps and even scarffing down my lunch quickly so that I can walk around the neighborhood (which looks quite funny in a suit and tie in the middle of summer). I never realized how hard it is to get 10,000 steps in. #TheStruggleIsReal

6. JenR
    9:12 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

I’ve had my Fitbit for a week and half and I’m the same. I also work a desk job and have resorted to using my lunch time and breaks to walk around the block and get steps in. My flex only has lights and the partial flashing lights make me crazy so I have to keep walking until they turn solid. The kicker is that, if you walk one step, over that light the next one starts flashing so its a vicious cycle. I had no idea how far 10K steps is how hard it would be to get them in.

7. HollyS
    9:18 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

I have had a Fitbit for about 2 years and rarely get 10,000 steps, working in a cubicle makes it very hard. However, the things myself and co workers are doing to get points for the Humana Vitality program trump all FitBit shenanigans. Even trying to get 2 miles in less than 30 minutes in downtown is not easy. Sadly, I have also resorted to the tennis shoes with my dress clothes look on my lunch breaks.

8. Rnet
    9:25 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

exact reason I hate ESPN, only watch it when UK is playing. I stay with Fox Sports One or Bein Sports. Hate ESPN they are so anti UK. A blind man can see it don’t care what “Greeny or Golic” say. Excuse me while I puke

9. ThaCoach
    9:55 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

glad to hear other Fitbit folk do the walking in place or around house to get steps in..thanks for the jumping jacks tip..every little bit helps!! Keep them coming. 8818 yesterday

10. JohnR
    10:00 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

+ 1 on the fitbit addiction. I’ve had it for 6 months and have lost 40+ pounds. I don’t attribute the weight loss to fitbit, I attribute it to a fixation on my numbers mental disorder.

11. Jamie Lee
    10:16 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

I love my fitbit. You should definitely create a KSR group and weekly challenge. Add me as a friend. 🙂

12. bgl24
    10:25 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Here’s another fitbit tip. When it started getting too cold to walk outside last year, I bought a cheap mini-trampoline. When I can’t get outside, I jog on it while watching TV. It’s a great way to get steps and release nervous energy. I jogged through a bunch of basketball games last year.

13. @BallBlog_Chad
    10:28 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

very disappointed fitbit user here, the 2 main things I do for exercise is either play basketball or use an elliptical … on the elliptical, I always use the handles to try to get a full body workout, but the fitbit does a horrible job of picking up this as exercise … playing basketball, I had to stop wearing it because people kept hitting it and it was going to break

• CatsBy80
      1:50 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

that is interesting, chad… i use the elliptical, as well, and I’ve never had any problems with it recognizing my steps… i don’t check my “active minutes’, but mine does a great job tracking steps and my heart rate. which one do you have? i have the fitbit charge..

14. UKMD
    10:31 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

LOVE CAL’S SHOES! ANYONE KNOW WHAT KIND THEY ARE? BTW- I KNOW THEY ARE NIKES, BUT WHAT KIND?

15. android guy
    11:16 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

The Lorenzen interview is the funniest thing I’ve heard in days. Jared is an awesome interview!

16. anonymous husband
    11:18 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

My wife and I have had a fit bit for about 2-3 years now. I am on my second one as the first went through the laundry. My wife is on number 6 =( which she attributes to not having a good place to hold it. I bought her the flex but, it didn’t count stairs or have a display, thus she rejected it. The one kept falling out of her pocket, i found it in the parking lot one day. The dog found it one day (he has such biting power for a 20lb dog). She now has an HR charge which is great for her due to the heart rate measurement.

The badges are fun, wish they had more. My doctor reviews my step count and my health provider provides cash back incentives for reaching certain daily goals. Overall it is a great product which has made my family more self aware of exercise. Not to sound like a fit bit comercial, there are many alternatives available as well the importantance of the subject is becoming aware of your activity.

The down side is the ultra competitve wife who never competed on an athletic team in her life. Walking ciricles in the house, going up and down steps, standing at the TV marching in place, all of the crazy activities I have found her doing just to beat me for the day. I had to learn that holding hands is only allowed with the hand that does not have the fit bit attached to it as that stops the motion counting her steps. Crazy with a capital C.

17. Andy
    11:38 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Tyler we definitely need a KSR Fitbit group to join! I got one 2 weeks ago and I agree that it’s harder to hit 10,000 than people think

18. Ryan
    11:44 am August 13, 2015 Permalink

Let’s start a group on FitBit! I’m CatsFan03 on there if you want to add me!

19. True Blue
    12:44 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

I really want a fitness tracker and I’ve actually been thinking about getting the Charge HR. This may sound silly, but I haven’t bought one yet because I can’t find the blue one! The BBN needs everything available in blue, including Fitbits!

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:54 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

I was waiting for the blue one too! After waiting eight months, I finally gave in and got the purple one, but I feel your pain.

20. James
    1:39 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

I’ve actually moved from FitBit to Apple Watch. Also a incredibly good fitness tracker.

21. Chris
    3:28 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Based on Tyler’s post and some of the comments, I just created a public Fitbit group (KSR Fitbitters). I could also use the motivation so I hope everyone who is interested joins it.

22. Chris
    3:29 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

Here’s a link to the group: https://www.fitbit.com/group/22GKJT

23. Amy
    5:18 pm August 13, 2015 Permalink

I find myself walking circles in the house also if I am close to 10,000.