Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: “I’d do anything” for Kentucky fans

A few weeks back, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist addressed reporters at UK while he was in town to host the Skillz/Drillz Camp, and while his comments about the football team’s new training facility stole headlines, I don’t think enough of us appreciated how good it was to hear from one of our favorites. Today, The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski released a podcast featuring a 30-minute interview with MKG, which I really encourage you to check out. MKG opens up about his childhood — which included losing his father — his battle with a speech impediment, and of course, the 2012 National Championship team.

“It was a great team we had,” MKG said of the 2012 group. “Great, great team. I wasn’t selfish, Ant [Anthony Davis] wasn’t selfish. A great, great team. But our coach, an amazing coach, all around.”

MKG did admit that, at times, the fishbowl atmosphere at Kentucky wore on him, but he still considers the Big Blue Nation “the best fans in the world.”

“It isn’t normal. It isn’t normal for nobody,” MKG said of the attention that comes with being a UK basketball player. “The attention we got was crazy. It was a [NBA] lockout year too, so you know. It was just us. That’s it. At first, it was fun, autographs and pictures, stuff like that. I was like, I can get used to this. But mid-year, I was like, man I’m tired of this. I’m tired of this. But, you know, they’re the best fans in the world, that’s what I think. I’d do anything for those fans, really.

Really great stuff from MKG. Listen to the entire podcast below:

8 Comments for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: “I’d do anything” for Kentucky fans

1. JMac720
    11:02 am August 3, 2016 Permalink

KSR boys ok??

2. Bleedblueky
    11:02 am August 3, 2016 Permalink

Morning Tyler,
    Do you mind letting us know briefly what’s going on with our beloved KSR live show and where is the Show Thread? What’s happening there? We are so WORRYING and do hope all the guys are doing just fine!

3. Bleedblueky
    11:05 am August 3, 2016 Permalink

Just wondering will there be any Post or Announcement to explain where is our KSR live show today? I do think the longer we wait, the more worrying we would be 🙁

• Bleedblueky
      12:32 pm August 3, 2016 Permalink

Mystery solved and FINALLY we heard from Matt at Twitter after 12 pm! But I still think KSR should have put something on this site since not everyone is using Tweeter (I don’t normally but I had to go Twitter to find out what’s going on) and too bad it’s not happening 🙁

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 24m24 minutes ago

We weren’t on the air today obviously. All is fine…had a meeting we had to have in Louisville
      10 retweets 64 likes

4. hspires
    11:10 am August 3, 2016 Permalink

I’m also wondering about the live show! I’m in Western Kentucky so I’m anticipating a trip to my town any day! I hope everyone’s alright!

5. inside info2
    11:31 am August 3, 2016 Permalink

Great kid. Hope he stays injury free and does great in the NBA.

6. Stephen
    12:21 pm August 3, 2016 Permalink

Are we to assume that the root canal didn’t go as planned?

7. [email protected]
    5:51 pm August 3, 2016 Permalink

Thanks for pointing us to this podcast. Since there’s no KSR podcast today, it’s nice to have something to listen to.