LOOK: List of social justice messages to be worn on jerseys by former Wildcats

(Photo by Garrett Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images)

(Photo by Garrett Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images)

The NBA’s restart is scheduled for July 30, and as part of this unique and mostly unfortunate circumstance, the league is allowing players more ways to fight against social injustices while also keeping basketball at the forefront.

One interesting move the NBA decided to incorporate was to give each player participating in the Orlando restart the opportunity to write a message on the back of their respective jerseys. The league approved a multitude of social justice messages that will be displayed across the back of the selected player’s jersey instead of their last name.

Among the 18 former Kentucky Wildcats who were originally slated to play down at Walt Disney World, 15 of them elected to write a message on their jersey. A few of the more popular phrases picked have been “Black Lives Matter”, “Equality”, and “Freedom”. Players who are from countries outside of the United States are allowed to have the message translated into their native language.

Here is the list of messages chosen by former Wildcats.

Enes Kanter | Freedom
Bam Adebayo | Black Lives Matter
Tyler Herro | Black Lives Matter
Eric Bledsoe | Freedom
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist | Equality
Jamal Murray | Freedom
Patrick Patterson | I Am A Man
Darius Miller | Power To The People (OUT)
Hamidou Diallo | Black Lives Matter
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander | Equality
Nerlens Noel | Equality
Devin Booker | Equality
Wenyen Gabriel | Antiracist
De’Aaron Fox | Antiracist
Trey Lyles | Antiracist (OUT)

The three players who elected not wear a message are Anthony Davis (who, along with teammate LeBron James, decided to honor his family by leaving his last name), Rajon Rondo (who is expected to miss at least six weeks with a thumb injury), and Willie Cauley-Stein (who declined to join the Mavericks in Orlando as he welcomed the birth of his first child).

About two weeks ago, Davis spoke about why his jersey will remain the same:

“I didn’t know what to decide: Should I have a social justice message or should I have my last name there? I just think my last name is something that is very important to me,” the Los Angeles Lakers big man said, according to ESPN. “Also social justice as well. But just holding my family name and representing the name on the back to go through this process and my name and people who’ve been with me through my entire career to help me get to this point. While still kind of bringing up things that we can do for social injustice.”

Something I found interesting (for little reason) was that even though well-over 200 players chose one of the approved social justice message, only five players opted to write “Anitracist”, and three of them–Fox, Gabriel, and Lyles–are former ‘Cats. Most players appear to be participating in the new jersey names and it’s just a small part of what the NBA and the players are doing to combat racial injustices while they restart the 2019-20 season.

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Recruiting reporter for KSR. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

32 Comments for LOOK: List of social justice messages to be worn on jerseys by former Wildcats

1. lexattorney
    8:29 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

ALL Lives OF ALL RACES Matter

THIN BLUE LINE

FREE HONG KONG

FOR the record I agree with the choices of all except for Bam, Herro and Hami due to the exclusionist nature and association with the Marxist organization of their messages. I still will not watch any games due to the prohibition of the ones I listed at the top of this post.

2. Booher
    8:31 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

Notice you left Tyler’s name off

3. crazycatfan65
    9:01 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

Your racism is clouding your ability to read, racist. Lex clearly says “FOR the record I agree with the choices of all except for Bam, HERRO and Hami. I’m with you Lex, done with over paid loud mouth cry babies you only believe what the alt left media reports. They never report that police kill mire whites per year, almost twice as many, then they do blacks but that doesn’t fit their race baiting anti America agneda.

• lexattorney
      10:57 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

Don’t destroy his fantasy world with facts.

• LittleBoyBlue
      12:03 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

After reading comments on just about any KSR post, I can’t understand why so many former Cats chose anti racist. Probably just a coincidence…

• lexattorney
      12:34 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

Where is the racism in this thread? I’ll hang up and listen…

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:38 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: HOW DARE THEY NOT WEAR A SLOGAN!

• lexattorney
      10:57 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

LOL one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes! I salute AD for not buying into the C(hinese)BA propaganda!

5. Dr. Tom
    9:42 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

Oh the day when sports was all about the game!!

• lexattorney
      10:57 pm July 24, 2020 Permalink

THIS. SO this.

6. Jambluehue99
    2:03 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

All this activism based on a false premise. If only these athletes/social warriors would take time to discover the truth.

7. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    3:10 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

“…it’s just a small part of what the NBA and the players are doing to combat racial injustices while they restart the 2019-20 season.”

That should be, “…it’s just a small part of the meaningless pandering and self-promotion the league will be participating in as it restarts the 2019-20 season.”

• UKFanSC
      8:50 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

Perfect

8. Eddiemcwildcat
    6:50 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

Wonder if Liberalism is a disease would fit?

9. UKFanSC
    8:08 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

Here’s a question for you.

Why is it ok to have derogatory headlines calling white women “Karen’s” and it is unacceptable to refer to any person of color by any nickname of similar derogatory intent ? Ever think about that ?
    You’ll see “Airline removes unruly “Karen” for not wearing a mask”……. but what would the reaction be if the headline said “Three Sambo’s arrested for attempted murder”

Goose meet Gander

10. TheTweak
    8:41 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

A list of young millionaires who’ve had their asses kissed for years because they can play basketball well. Not the best group of “victims” to advance the fake cause. This bunch doesn’t want equality, they would be paid a normal person’s salary

11. Reese Davis
    9:22 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

Matt Jones has a really good thing going on with KSR. If his site, or the writers he hires, keep writing articles which only highlight left-wing “social justice” causes, he will lose me and many other UK fans. I am middle of the line when it comes to politics, the republican party and Trump have their great many flaws as well, and I am willing to hear both sides as long as there are facts stated, not articles which assume that there’s racial inequality and systematic racism with zero evidence backing that up. This is the first and last time I will ever take the time to comment on a KSR post. Stop the clear left wing bias which you go out of your way to include on this site, and write subjectively like a real sports journalist should or I and many others are done.

• Jambluehue99
      10:30 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

It is important to note that this site was note formed for UK fans. This site was formed to use UK sports and their rabid fan base as a springboard for the political career of Its creator. It’s a brilliant idea actually. As such, the liberal positions promoted on this site are not going away. It has crossed the line from sports to politics, like all sports media. It too feels the need to hop on the bandwagon of the social justice cause, not for any real reason, just so they can feel part of a cause, and so they can prove their wokeness while doing nothing to question the underlying cause of the issues they claim to be fighting for, but of which they they have no understanding, or worse yet, don’t care enough to find the facts. That may be the saddest part of all – a media not interested in finding the truth, just parroting the party line because it agrees with their political position.

12. Wilfred Smith
    10:48 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

If someone wanted “‘Taxation is Theft” would that be allowed?

• UKFanSC
      11:47 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

Maybe “Black Taxation is Theft”

• lexattorney
      11:53 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

Anything that doesn’t support Marxism should be allowed. Personally, I would go with the most important cause in the history of our world: “DONNA MARTIN GRADUATES!”

13. VirginiaCat
    11:56 am July 25, 2020 Permalink

When you wear a team jersey, you represent more than just yourself. You represent a geographical area and a fan base. Athletes are entitled to their political opinions, but they should not foist those opinions on their franchise and fans. I watch sports to enjoy the competition and the athleticism, not to be exposed to players’ political leanings. Sports can be a unifying force in society, but not if there is focus on who is taking a knee and what political slogans are attached to uniforms.

• lexattorney
      12:24 pm July 25, 2020 Permalink

I agree 1000% but if people who watch the NBA are going to be subjected to players’ political leanings they CERTAINLY can’t be limited to only liberal messages. This “limitation” out in place by the league is the main reason I will not watch.

• VirginiaCat
      12:41 pm July 25, 2020 Permalink

One additional point: Who decides which messages are appropriate and which ones are inappropriate? If “Black Lives Matter” is okay, what about “All Lives Matter” or “Blue Lives Matter?” Will these decisions rest with individual franchises or will a PC czar be appointed to oversee political messaging? Okay to alter team uniforms to conform with individual political beliefs? Should this “right” be extended to work uniforms? Where does it end and who decides content?

14. lexattorney
    12:25 pm July 25, 2020 Permalink

Another great message would be “‘Karen’ is a racial slur!”

15. mcp157
    1:18 pm July 25, 2020 Permalink

Those players, most of which are highly under educated, should play and we should ignore them when they have to wear their thoughts on their jerseys! Kind of like going to a concert you have paid a lot of money for to hear some kook singer lecture you about life. Boycott them until they realize what we pay attention to them for.

16. mcp157
    1:21 pm July 25, 2020 Permalink

These are athletes getting paid for their skill, not their under educated opinions. Boycott them!

• CatsFanFrankfort
      9:49 pm July 25, 2020 Permalink

Good luck. No one can buy tickets right now anyway. I’m sure you and your buddies not tuning in is going to cripple the league. Im sure you are extremely fulfilled knowing you’re making a difference.

• mcp157
      10:26 am July 26, 2020 Permalink

CatsFanFrankfort I already feel fulfilled. I am sure there are enough unfulfilled folks out there to keep the money flowing to the highly skilled athletes no matter how dumb or wrong they are. A lot of lemmings are ripe to follow any thing they hear from authority figures and misplaced heroes.

17. sgd
    8:54 am July 26, 2020 Permalink

How about “Earned, Not Given”