Lakers turned down chance to sign DeMarcus Cousins

DeMarcus Cousins shocked the NBA world earlier this week when he agreed to a one-year, $5.3 million deal with the Golden State Warriors. Many believed Cousins would join LeBron James and Rajon Rondo in Los Angeles, and according to Marc Stein, the Lakers had the chance to get Boogie, but turned it down.

Word also reached us Monday night that LeBron’s Lakers, after signing Rajon Rondo away from New Orleans and then losing Randle to the Pelicans, had an opportunity to sign Cousins at a one-year price point similar to the one that landed him in Golden State. But I’m told the Lakers passed, clearing the way for the Warriors to infuriate the basketball public yet again.

Stein added that the Lakers were Boogie fans, but couldn’t afford to wait until he was fully rehabbed from his Achilles injury:

They’re going to regret that.

[mobile_ad]

13 Comments for Lakers turned down chance to sign DeMarcus Cousins

1. Chacosrule
    12:28 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

They want to win immediately, but they are still not going to win.

2. 4everUKblue
    12:34 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Hebron may never win another ring, but then again the NBA is rigged as are all pro sports so who knows.

• 4everUKblue
      12:35 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

*Lebron…..damned auto correct.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:04 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Loosen up that foil hat a bit, sport.

3. Cletis75
    1:50 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

According to Boogies interview with the undefeated on Espn.com, this is a lie! He said he contacted GS after hearing from non one. They told him what they could afford, he contacted Steph, KD and the other guys, called back and accepted the offer. I will take his word over some KSR rumor.

• bigbluebanana
      3:43 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Cletus, again with ignorant comments. They didn’t tell him what they could afford. That price point is set by the NBA and it’s PU, not the teams. But, I guess you’re more connected innNBA circles than Woj? Boogie said no one wanted him.

• ukkatzfan
      5:25 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Heres your troll banana. Did you ever think that GS told Boogie all they could offer him was the mid level exception of 5.3 million ? No, you didn’t. Because bananas don’t have brains. Cletus, please overlook the little green weenie.

• Cletis75
      7:02 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Read the article that I referenced. I’ll take Boogie’s version of what happened

4. J. Did
    2:39 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

I understand Magic and Bus’ mindset. Yet – Boogie rocks. Once he’s back – and he is an assassin – it will be total domination. Boogie is a born winner – a ‘fight to the death’ winner. Boogie plays to win. He wants to win. Now, he has a chance for a ring. Good for him.

Second: I love Rondo. Another born winner. Same mindset. Guys like that are the cornerstone to a franchise. These kids practice like they play…and ultimately coach. Two of my favorite UK kids.

5. Kat4Life
    3:20 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

They also passed on Fox, signing Ball instead…….so they’ve never been accused of being all that competent. Magic was a great player in his time, but he has yet to show us much as a front-office guy.

6. Cletis75
    6:45 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

You’re welcome to go on ESPN and look up the article. Boogie says himself that he didn’t hear from anyone,so he talked to his agent and called Bob Myers the GS GM himself. He said that was all he could offer. He accepted the offer and r talking to the players. No, I am not as connected as Woj, but I doubt he knows more about it than Boogie himself.

7. friendsofcoal
    7:09 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Magic has to be sick over taking Ball before Fox….I sure would be.