KSR Show Thread 7/2: Football recruiting and Summer League

Anele with Josh Allen at that infamous unofficial visit, via @coachtunsil.

@coachtunsil

July is always one of the hottest months of the year, but the world of UK Athletics made sure the first day was absolutely scorching.

For starters, Kentucky football secured a commitment from 2020 four-star wide receiver Kalil Branham and then followed it up with a pledge from top-100 prospect and consensus four-star defensive end Samuel Anaele. Double Yahtzee.

And then on Monday evening, former Wildcats Tyler Herro and Wenyen Gabriel scorched the nets in their 2019 NBA Summer League debuts.

Starting right now, Matt Jones, Drew Franklin, and Shannon the Dude are set to take over the KSR airwaves to discuss the big start to July and where we go from here.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

56 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/2: Football recruiting and Summer League

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:11 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Yuge recruiting haul after missing out on a couple others last week!

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, seems like we should be ranked even higher than 20th, but I’ll take it!

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Our football staff is crushing it in recruiting lately.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:19 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Yep!

Hey, a question for you guys about our DBs. I remember Stoops talking about the need to recruit tall DBs when we were getting guys like Westry, et al. However, it seems several of the commits we’re getting lately are more in the 5’10” range rather than the 6’4″ range. Have we gotten some taller DB commits that I’ve missed? It’s already a huge concern since we lost everyone, and the sizes I’ve seen concerns me a bit as well.

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but I thought we were getting DB’s in the 6’0″ – 6’1″ range.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:35 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

That may be, but I still though he was always going to aim for guys taller than that. Again, maybe he has and I’ve missed it. I’ll have to check out the fall roster once I know who will be in the rotation. I hope we have some guys who can play like Westry did as a freshman since they’ll all be inexperienced.

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Height is good, but if the kid is a stud athlete and has elite speed and leaping ability, that can make up for it.

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Playing time to be had for Weaver and Casey.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:56 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I just checked the roster and those guys are both listed as OLBs. However, I know those guys sometimes drop back in pass coverage, and they’re both listed at 6’5″. None of our DBs are over 6’2″, but maybe I’m making too much. We shall see. I’m more concerned about lack of experience between the 2 anyway.

GO CATS!!! I changed my Gravatar to a football one early, and he also doubles as the most fearsome creature known! He is a legend, but not an elusive legend like we’ve been discussing.

On a serious note, I think I’m still going to have the sniffles when the Cats take the field without Benny & Josh. *sigh*

2. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Those damn French are at it again; they’re upset with our football recruiting.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:16 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

They’re all Notre Dame fans.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

They got our website too! Looks like it knocked out a DNS server somewhere. back up now.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

They’re still mad because their church almost burned down, cg. Not our fault, though. 😉

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:16 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Exactly! I’m not Catholic, but it’s still a shame to see such a historic landmark burn like that.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:22 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Man, can KSR get more than 2 sponsors? It’s the same annoying loud commercial at the start of every break. It’ll change in a few days, but then that one will be it for several days.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Not sure which commercials you are talking about, but anything would be better than the ED and “male performance” commercials!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:16 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

It starts out with “Hey popoholics!” or something like that. I think it’s a fireworks commercial since it’s July 4th week. It could actually be a local place here, seeing as how a local garage advertises on iHeart broadcasts I listen to, but I turn it down quickly since it’s loud in addition to being annoying in the first place.

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

They could integrate the fireworks commercial with the male performance commercials; they could also have a choir in the background singing, “She’ll be driving six white horses when…” oh, never mind.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I just heard it again. It’s for the “Dr. Pimple Popper” show. lol

My wife watches that. The doc is easy on the eyes *thumbs up emoji*, but it is still far too gross to watch.
      *green faced emoji*

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:22 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

But she did make an analogy to fireworks and July 4, so I wasn’t hearing things.

Oh, and RG, you are so bad.

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Hah, the moderation thing is not big on metaphors, I guess.

4. Realme
    10:30 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Of course construction work would pause for a VP motorcade. Why does call act like that’s weird?

• Realme
      10:31 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

*caller

5. RealCatsFan
    10:36 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I remember the James Taylor song “Traffic Jam” from when I was a kid. I probably haven’t heard that song in 20 years, but when I get stuck in traffic it still goes through my head sometimes.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Man, the Cutler pursuit of BCG was both weird and epic. Almost like something that would happen in “The Anchorman”. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Mitch fired a guy.

• Realme
      10:43 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

That video is so hilarious. I love it.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:41 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I love Wenyen, and I’m glad to hear that he showed out well the other night.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

The Kings are going to need him, since they’re stupidly letting Willie go as a free agent.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Wow, it the site still down for everybody else?

• ClutchCargo
      10:45 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Seems ok now. I mean, except for the annoying gotta comment on my phone thing.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

It wouldn’t load for a long time for me.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:48 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

MJ Music 101….eh.

10. J-Dub421
    11:19 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I’m looking forward to drubbing U of L in football and basketball again this year.

• Realme
      11:25 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Like.

11. Realme
    11:28 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I’ll be so happy if we stay Sprung Forward and don’t Fall Back any more. Not a morning person, so stop with the depressing early winter darkness. I think it’s the other way around that’s the normal state of things though. Could be wrong.

• J-Dub421
      11:36 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

We should stay sprung forward. We’re on daylight saving time for 8 months or so out of the year, and only fall back for four months or so.

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, when we fall back it actually makes the daylight come a little earlier, so if it stays in DST, it will be dark even later in the mornings during winter.

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I loathe when it’s dark at 5:00pm as I’m leaving work.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:47 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I always loved it because I could listen to Van Vance/Tony Cruise on 840 at 6:00 (CST), and catch the Cats also when they had a night game. The web changed the need for all that.

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, it’s even worse when you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Another reason I hate winter.

• J-Dub421
      11:55 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Yep, winter is the worst season. It’s cold and crappy, and rains a lot. Winter is gray and dreary.

• Realme
      11:57 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I’m a little depressed just thinking about it. I don’t know how I’d get through winter without UKBB.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:58 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I welcome winter down here. The summers seem like they’re 10 months, and they’re extremely hot and humid, but that’s just me.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Matt talking about the 2012 FF in New Orleans makes me mad at myself again for missing out on it. 🙁 Mrs. RCF and I were oh so close to just winging it and driving down. Wish we had.

13. J-Dub421
    11:43 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

So this weirdo drinks ketchup? Gross.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:43 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

That might be the most original “mojo” story I’ve heard.

It also sounds like those K-Mart commercials where they said “I just shipped my bed!”

15. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:46 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

There goes Matt again. ‘WHO DOESN’T LIKE KETCHUP???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

There is NOTHING that SOMEONE doesn’t like. *face palm emoji*

For his information, I like ketchup, but I prefer fries without it. If they’re good fries and they’re hot and fresh, just some salt. Oh so good. But if they’re mediocre fries or they’ve gotten cold, then ketchup is in order. I do love that stuff along with mustard on a burger.

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Try dipping your fries in BBQ sauce sometime.

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

They put mayonnaise on fries in Amsterdam, I hear.

• J-Dub421
      11:53 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

I prefer mayo on my burger. Ketchup is fine, but ranch or honey mustard on fries is delicious (especially if you smother your fries in melted cheese and bacon).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:00 pm July 2, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, fries and mayo is trendy. It’s not bad. Not a fan of honey mustard though. That’s 2 flavors I prefer separate.

Some of you guys need to try poutine. Done right it’s really good. I remember SGA saying he missed that about not being in Canada.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:48 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Maybe I’m a communist too, but like Shannon, I hate condiments. Only sauce I like is BBQ sauce and hot sauce. Yeah, I know, I’m weird. If I order a burger and it is smothered in ketchup, mustard and mayo, it’s going in the trash.

• RealCatsFan
      11:53 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

And I have always wondered why restaurants insist on smothering their food in this stuff. Why not just offer it on the side so you can put it on yourself if you want it? Nothing burns me up more than ordering food at the drive-thru and then getting home and finding that they didn’t hear me when I said “no condiments”. 🙁

• Realme
      11:54 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

Fine but if you’re stooping to dipping fries in honey mustard and ranch, like Shannon, just go with Chris and eat them without.

I think I like all of them. Except Miracle Whip.

• Realme
      11:55 am July 2, 2019 Permalink

My husband orders everything without, just so his food will be fresh. They can’t give you a heat lamp burger or whatever if it’s covered in stuff you don’t want.