KSR Show Thread, 6/21: Laura Rutledge

With Matt Jones’ three-week vacation coming to a close, we’re down to just one final guest host on Kentucky Sports Radio.

This morning, ESPN’s Laura Rutledge is set to take over the big chair, where she will discuss the NBA Draft and her thoughts on where the former Wildcats ended up.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 6/21: Laura Rutledge

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Congrats to the guys last night; and I’ll always be grateful to Tyler Herro for teaching me rapper slang, since I don’t listen to it.
    But, that watch was dripping a little too much…that is one sissy watch, hah.

10:03 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Ha! He didn’t really seem comfortable wearing the watch. Probably part of some deal his agent set up.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

It was probably a loan from some jewelry store, like actresses at the oscars get.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

And that suit… ๐Ÿ˜€

Shannon and Michael were making fun of it this morning, and Shannon may have said it best – that it looked like someone cut up their grandma’s sofa and made a suit out of it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• StillBP
      10:50 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I liked Tyler’s suit

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I liked PJ’s. But Tyler’s looked like a thrift shop disaster, IMO. ๐Ÿ˜€

11:24 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Someone on a thread last night said Tyler looked like a cocaine dealer. Ha!

2. ClutchCargo
    10:08 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Looking forward to today’s show. Laura is one of the very best guest hosts of the past few years.

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Yes, but alas…it’s only radio.

10:13 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

True. But as easy on the eyes as she may be, I could listen to her talk sports all day.

10:16 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I like Laura too, I’d be ok with Matt taking a much longer vacation.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Sheesh, 3-week vacation? I have never had 3 weeks off in a row in my life! At least not for vacation. Had 6 weeks between jobs one time, but spent the entire time in a mad thrash to restore a 1969 Camaro Z/28 in time for a show. That was far from a vacation. I work too hard. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Realme
      11:26 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

My co-worker takes two or more weeks at a time, and I always wonder how in the world she can do that work-wise. We have similar jobs, and I would be hopelessly buried in work if I took more than a week.

• Bleedblueky
      8:30 pm June 23, 2019 Permalink

She is very good and definitely will be on my top three when ranking all the guest hosts next week (PMT is surely my last lol)

3. 4everUKblue
    10:12 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Did anyone notice that PJ was the only player who gave his coach props? Can’t remember is Tyler did or not but it says a lot to me.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Only coach I saw, too….were there others?

10:14 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Saw Mark Few but that’s it.

10:22 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

PJ was the only one who struggled through a somewhat disappointing freshman season, got good feedback and wisely stayed in school, and accepted Cal’s coaching to improve himself on and off the court. I think the other two just don’t have that kind of perspective yet, based on their different path to the NBA. Plus, I’m sure their heads were spinning in that moment.

10:26 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t mean to limit that comment to only the UK players, I didn’t hear any other players give credit to their coach. Would’ve been a lie if any of the dUKe players said K made them better.

10:28 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

But I get your point CC.

10:32 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Along those same lines… while ESPN fell all over themselves to keep pointing out how many dook players were drafted top 10, I can’t remember how far dook went in the tournament and ESPN didn’t provide that info for some reason. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t really remember Zion saying anything about K.

10:33 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

After some of them said they could beat some of the NBA teams.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Duke is the first team to have 3 top 10 Draft picks and not make the Final Four. Pitiful.

10:42 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Where’s the danged like button?

• StillBP
      10:54 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I love to make fun of Duke too but after our 09/10 season we shouldn’t be laughing too much. We had 3 in top 14, and 5 overall 1st rounders and didn’t make the FF. And no, I haven’t been hacked lol. I’ve just seen a lot of people pointing fingers at Duke when we have had a similar situation

10:57 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

That’s all true, BP. But you have to also consider that Count K gets credit for being a better coach than Cal. The facts just don’t fit the narrative, that’s all.

11:00 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Also, 09-10 was kind of a springboard to future success. It doesn’t feel that way with dook, but I guess that remains to be seen.

• StillBP
      11:01 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Tough argument on who is better. K does have more rings. I love Cal and wouldn’t trade him for K if I could! I’m stopping now bc I don’t want to be a Mashburncrapfan1. K def doesn’t get the same crap Cal does for one and dones tho, totally agree

11:04 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

K has been at the same school for 39 yrs. Not saying Cal is better or K is better but K gets a lot of undue praise IMO.

• StillBP
      11:09 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

There is no other coach I’d want here other than JVC. No vampires wanted here.

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Valid point SBP. I just get tired of all the “Cal should have more titles with all that talent” argument. Like it’s the easiest thing in the world.

11:17 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

To be clear, K’s record as the all-time winningest coach speaks for itself. I’m referring only to how Cal has done with very young and talented teams, compared to K.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

K had top 3 recruits in the nation, and a fourth top ten player; UNDERachievement to the nth.

11:41 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I remember how gracious K was after the game agains the unforgetables, as he should have been after escaping against a team of players no one else wanted, but he is not that same person these days. In fact it’s hard to tell he’s that same person. Just my opinion.

• runningunnin.454
      11:44 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Maybe he was replaced by a look-alike.
      Sorry, forgive me, I couldn’t help it, I had to, my apologies. ha ha ha.

11:46 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

K died soon after that game and was replaced, look it up.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. ๐Ÿ™‚

11:47 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Now RG, J-Dub and I made a deal to only talk sports…but it’s possible.

11:49 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Timing is everything. Right, rg?

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Hee Haw.

12:08 pm June 21, 2019 Permalink

Funny but I won’t be back to the ST. Go Cats!

4. me101
    10:29 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Laura please say hello to me. Greg

10:36 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Back off, me101!

5. J-Dub421
    10:30 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Hot Take, I think Barrett and Reddish could both end up being busts.

10:40 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Honestly, I think their games translate to the NBA pretty well. Zion, on the other hand, I can definitely see not living up to the hype. He will need to be surrounded by other guys who can really score, and I wouldn’t trust the Pelicans to make that happen long term.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Neither of them shoots as well as people seem to think they do. Barrett is a pretty good passer, but he’s a ball hog and doesn’t like to pass. Neither of them can be bothered to play defense either.

10:46 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/rounds If you click on the players’ names you can read their analysis and where they need to improve.

• J-Dub421
      11:14 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Thanks, 4Ev, I’ll have to check that out later when I have a few minutes.

11:20 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Pretty much backs up what you said J-Dub. And btw, I’ve always enjoyed you love for UK and your comments.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Same. We’ll just stick ‘ta sports! from now on.

• UKinMKY
      11:42 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I think Reddish has the biggest boom/bust potential out of anyone in the lottery. If he learns to play defense he could be extremely good as a second/third option next to Trae Young, but that’s a BIG if.

11:42 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Deal!

6. 4everUKblue
    10:35 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Laura must be a James Taylor fan.

7. 4everUKblue
    10:41 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I find it funny that Pelican fans think they’ll be better with Zion than they were with AD. Zion will never be as good as AD!

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

To be fair, Zion IS a freak athlete, and he did show that he can handle the ball and hit some outside shots. But I think AD has always had more potential because of his freakishly long arms. I’m afraid that Zion may have a hard time handling the grind of an NBA season with his body type. Being as heavy and as explosive as he is, it puts a tremendous strain on his joints. He will have to put in some work to try to trim down a bit while keeping that explosiveness.

11:01 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

RCF, he is a freak athlete but here’s what ESPN analysts say he needs to improve on… Just an average shooter. Made only 24 3-pointers in 33 games at Duke, as well as 64 percent of his free throw attempts. Mechanics leave a lot to be desired. Ball comes off the side of his hand. Not very fluid in his lower body getting into his jumper.

AD has a very good jump shot, shoots the 3 well and can do just about everything well.

11:03 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

He’s a jumbo sized Russell Westbrook. He’ll sell tickets and make the highlight dunks, but being the centerpiece of a championship team? I don’t see it.

• bouzoukiman
      11:23 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I agree that Zion needs to trim down for a minimum 82 game grind. The thing is, if he does lose weight, and if he does improve in at least some of those other areas, watch out! However, I canโ€™t see him doing anything more than AD did. AD is just super special.

Do you all remember the lob dunk (against UL in the FF I think) where he had to bend backwards in the air like a pretzel and still hauled it in and slammed it? Unreal.

• runningunnin.454
      11:38 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I like how they interviewed Zion and RJ, and didn’t ask them how much Dook payed?
      And, they forgot to ask, “DID DUKE WIN”.

8. Kentuckiana
    10:45 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I am absolutely enjoying the show today with Laura.

11:21 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Ditto!

• bouzoukiman
      11:26 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Sheโ€™s great when sheโ€™s in with Finebaum too. I donโ€™t watch or listen to him much, but I do some.

• Kentuckiana
      11:56 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Today’s show is my vote for best show in three weeks.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Wow, she likes to hunt, and she is an expert on sports, and she is pretty easy on the eyes. Complete package. I can picture a gaggle of suitors following her around like Matt Dillon in “There’s Something About Mary”. ๐Ÿ˜€

11:06 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

She already checked all the boxes for me. Then today I learn of these other awesome traits!

10. Realme
    11:13 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Little late with this comment, but… How does Shannon take calls from AC and Ky Joe back to back? Rutledge deserves JT and Harold caliber calls.

11. bouzoukiman
    11:17 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Greetings from Fort Walton and from ChrisGettelfingerINWTTD! Congrats to the Cats who got drafted. Hereโ€™s hoping they are well grounded, โ€œkeep it realโ€, and donโ€™t let it all go to their heads. I know that watch (not to mention that McLaren a while back) may have been a rental or a loaner, but egads! My 20 year old $20 Timex Marathon still keeps time pretty well.

Anyway, GO CATS, GO LAURA R., AND GO HAVING TO USE AN ALTERNATE ACCOUNT!!!

• bouzoukiman
      11:25 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Going to head to the go carts track now and do a dolphin cruise later. Weather is too windy to check off my bucket list with a water sport. I was hoping O either parasail, kayak, or jet ski. Maybe next time.

Later guys!

• StillBP
      11:39 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

Are you also the poster formerly known as ‘weneedpitino’ bc your comment above sounds like him. I kinda miss his humor.

11:41 am June 21, 2019 Permalink

I had the same thought, BP. But I don’t want to know!

• RealCatsFan
      12:50 pm June 21, 2019 Permalink

Have fun in FW, cg! My family has been going down there since the early 80’s. It WAS the best kept secret in Florida for many years. Alas, now it is becoming another tourist trap. When my parents bought their place just to the east of Destin back then you had to drive 30 minutes to eat out. I remember the first time I went down there with them when I was about 15 – there was an all girls school from New Orleans that was having their school trip at the same time. What a bummer for a 15 year old. ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Boman2112