Kevin Knox Signs Deal With Puma

Kevin Knox has signed a multi-year deal with Puma. (Photo via Instagram- @kknox_23)

(Photo: Instagram | @kknox_23)

Puma continues to take the basketball scene by storm, this time in the form of signing former Kentucky forward and current New York Knicks rookie Kevin Knox.

Knox was the ninth overall pick in the 2018 NBA draft and has reportedly signed a multi-year deal with the brand most famously known for producing soccer apparel.

2018 has seen a marketing revival for Puma, whose recent signees include the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 draft DeAndre Ayton, No. 2 overall pick Marvin Bagley III, No. 14 overall pick Michael Porter Jr., and No. 16 overall pick Zhaire Smith, along with veteran Rudy Gay and former Louisville guard Terry Rozier.

This signing comes shortly after Los Angeles Clippers rookie Shai Gilgeous-Alexander signed a deal with Nike.

Puma had apparently been recruiting Knox over the past week, even going as far to straight up tweet at him that they wanted to sign him to their brand. Then, Tuesday morning, Knox was invited as a guest on the ESPN program First Take where he was sporting a white Puma t-shirt and shortly after, the deal had officially been announced.

Puma also recently brought in rapper and businessman Jay-Z to help rebrand their basketball division as a “Creative Director”. Puma has been out of the basketball game for the better part of close to two decades now, but they’ve done an excellent job in securing the high-profile names and young talent necessary to build a respectable brand. Knox being drafted to play in New York definitely makes him an easier player to market, no matter how bad the Knicks will be this season. All Puma needs is for one of these rookie signees to sprout into an All-Star and then they can truly begin to make their mark on the sneaker world.

Hopefully, that player will be Kevin Knox.

View this post on Instagram

A new beginning to something GREAT?

A post shared by Kevin Knox (@kknox_23) on

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Covering all things NBA and UK Hoops. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

19 Comments for Kevin Knox Signs Deal With Puma

1. JTHinton
    2:16 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

Great! Go get em, Kev! If I’m being honest, I was part of the “return to UK for another year” crew because I didn’t think he’d get picked in the lottery but happily he has proved me wrong!

2. ClutchCargo
    2:23 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

Boys and girls, Kevin Knox understands the importance of brushing and flossing his teeth regularly, and you should follow his example.

3. Hawk0909
    3:54 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

Great for him. Maybe UK should follow suit and get away from Nike and their poor decisions regarding the face of their promotions

• yodasgreendong
      4:25 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

That’s a dumb statement. What’s your actual issue with Collin? Because he kneeled to bring light to a very real, very scary issue in this country? R is it just because he’s a black guy not doing what he’s told? I’m guessing it’s the latter.

• east-ky-boy
      10:09 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

There is definitely an issue with people that needs to stop being racist. I’m against racism in all forms. Yet I’m so so so offended by him and others not standing. My take along with millions others is, our national anthem is not the time and place for ANY protest. Stand for our vets, stand for our freedom. Though we sure do have some issues, we are STILL the greatest country on this God given planet. Both of my grandfathers fault for this country. For all colors of skin. Protests shouldn’t be done during our anthem.

• Peas and Carrots
      10:44 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

My family fought for this country as well and they are supportive of the national anthem protests. It’s freedom of speech, which they fought for. They don’t find it offensive to veterans. The protesters are not intending it to be offensive or disrespectful to veterans, rather draw attention to current inequality in America.

• east-ky-boy
      12:53 am September 6, 2018 Permalink

Understand what you’re saying. I just feel there is too much to stand for. I’m all for bringing problems to light. I really am. And I am against racism. Just feel that saying I don’t like my country enough to stand is a wrong way of bringing light. It’s divided us more actually.

• BBNDan7
      6:09 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

On a scale of 1-10 how hurt are you over something irrelevant?

4. Not Dan Issel
    4:30 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

Black has nothing to do with it. Respect for our country does. I am 68 years old, and have worn Nike products since 1976. NO more. I served our country, my wife served our country, and our son is currently serving our country overseas. CK and Nike can love on each other all they want. I am done.

• chardun20
      5:21 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

There is a big portion of this country that doesn’t respect Black people. The thing is, a lot of people think if you ignore racism it will go away or pretend it doesn’t exist. Not every time the police beat up or shoot someone it’s right. Most of the time the offense doesn’t warrant a death sentence or beating. I respect your right not to buy Nike, being Black has a lot to do with it.

• east-ky-boy
      10:13 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

I hate racism but not everything is because “I’m black”. Drives me insane. Saw someone drunk as a skunk get pulled and arrested for driving the other day. They was black. The officer was very professional. Yet the Person kept screaming “this is only because I’m black!” Nooooooo it’s because you drive drunk! Geez

• chardun20
      12:36 pm September 6, 2018 Permalink

Have you ever been pulled out of your car and searched for no reason, then let go with no ticket? Have you ever had your car surrounded police with there hands on there guns and questioned for 45 minutes, then again let go with no ticket. The 1st time I coming home from work. The second time, I was picking my daughter up from work after she got sick. No I was not beaten, because I would not let them get to. It gets old having to wonder every time I see the cops, is this going to be the time I die. That thought is real, if you never been through it, you think it doesn’t exist. If you see it, you think the person deserves it, lots of time both are wrong.

• BBNDan7
      6:10 pm September 5, 2018 Permalink

Im sure Nike is shaking in their boots about selling 1 less pair of air monarchs for the next 15 years

• east-ky-boy
      12:54 am September 6, 2018 Permalink

BBBDan7 if you fought for every color then you would be offended for what they are doing too

• chardun20
      12:40 pm September 6, 2018 Permalink

Why? Military doesn’t fight for color. They fight the rights of the United States. Not all Americans are treated equally. You being from Eastern Kentucky should know that.

• east-ky-boy
      8:07 pm September 6, 2018 Permalink

Dude bad cops like that deserve prison and throw away the key in my opinion. If I came across negative then that wasn’t my intention. I’m ALL for taking a stand against those types of things. I’m for peaceful protesting as well. I really am. But to be honest, for some reason it offends me when someone kneels during the anthem. It’s almost like saying I hate my country. That’s all

• east-ky-boy
      8:10 pm September 6, 2018 Permalink

I should have mentioned that the cop was black. He didn’t like the fact the race part was thrown in his face. The cop handled it well though.

5. friendsofcoal
    12:59 am September 6, 2018 Permalink

Kaperdicks is just pissed because he really sucks and can’t make it in the league so he’s got to do whatever for a buck.