Karl Towns blogs about Kentucky, Kevin Garnett, and Dominican food for GQ

(Photo AARON LAVINSKY — STAR TRIBUNE)

If I had my way, every day would be Karl Towns day on this site. Towns is killing so far in the NBA, averaging 15.9 points and 9.5 rebounds, which makes him an early frontrunner for Rookie of the Year. Yet, that’s not enough for Karl, so he’s started a side gig of blogging for GQ (who knew we’d have two GQ references in one day?).

Because Karl is Karl, he starts his first post off with a tribute to Kentucky, which is probably coming soon to a sign in the Joe Craft Center:

“I’ve found out Kentucky isn’t much different from the NBA. Kentucky gives you the sense that you’re already an NBA player. That’s just a testament to how well the program is run and how great the coaching staff is. So I felt totally prepared for this transition.”

Hear that, recruits?? The rest of the blog is pretty great, as Karl delves in to his first year in the league, his relationship with Kevin Garnett, and living in Minneapolis, which he says he “loves,” although he hasn’t found any decent Dominican food yet.

It hasn’t gotten too cold yet, but I love Minneapolis. I handled finding a place, getting a car, all the little things, myself. I only looked at one place and it’s the same place I live now. I knew the criteria I had for everything and once I saw what I needed and wanted, I was good. No other major purchases, though. I’ve got to be frugal with the way I was growing up, always trying to save my money. So I’m a homebody. I love being home, being inside. I like doing the things I’ve been doing since I was young. Just chilling. Spending time with friends, playing video games, and watching movies. Those kinds of things make me happiest. I haven’t found any good Dominican food in the city yet, but I wish I did. I don’t think it’s going to happen though.

Minneapolis Cats fans, help Karl out and give him some Dominican food recs. Or UK fans in the Dominican Republic, ship Karl some food. I bet he’ll send you a really thoughtful thank you note.

To read the rest of Karl’s blog, click here.

11 Comments for Karl Towns blogs about Kentucky, Kevin Garnett, and Dominican food for GQ

1. KentuckyBoy
    11:36 am January 8, 2016 Permalink

Out of all the kids that we lost last year, I miss him the most. Imagine how much better we would be with him on the roster. Happy for him though.

2. ukjaybrat
    11:52 am January 8, 2016 Permalink

i miss/love karl too… I read both of those quotes in his voice. His personality was just so infectious. I know there were a lot of players on teh team last year that impacted the season but i can’t imagine last year being anywhere close to what it was without Karl on the team.

3. Bluebros
    11:53 am January 8, 2016 Permalink

Has there ever been a better kid than KAT?! The way he represents himself, family, university and team is really admirable. IMPOSSIBLE not to root for that kid!

4. CAYUTS2525
    1:02 pm January 8, 2016 Permalink

There is always a few players every year I hate losing to the NBA not just because of how well they performed on the court but because of what kind of people they are. KAT is one of those kids. A true representation of what a young man and student athlete should be about. Perfect example of the morals and values Cal instills into these new groups of guys year in and year out.

5. kyle heavy
    1:19 pm January 8, 2016 Permalink

The guy doesn’t pretend to be anybody. He is who he is and does not care about being cool. Pretty admirable for someone his age.

6. Cals Hoverboard
    1:32 pm January 8, 2016 Permalink

Karl is certainly deserving of his #1 draft pick, it shows in how he plays and how he handles himself off the court. To me, there’s no comparison to Okafor. I told some of my big blue friends early in the season that I’d rather have Karl than Okafor and they said I was nuts. Thanks Karl for making me look like I know what I’m talking about.

7. david8577
    2:29 pm January 8, 2016 Permalink

He has enough money to go ahead and open that Dominican restaurant himself. Time to diversify kid.

• Sentient Third Eye
      3:32 pm January 8, 2016 Permalink

Great idea. He’d start a whole new culinary sensation the da ‘apolis. Pretty soon everybody who was anybody would be eating Domincan.

• J-Dub421
      4:52 pm January 8, 2016 Permalink

He should just wait until his playing career is over, and open a Dominican restaurant in Lexington. You know the BBN would eat there.

• Careful. It could wind up like Babu’s Pakistani restaurant.