Kanter says Zion is “Julius Randle with hops”, Randle responds

Enes Kanter stirred the NBA pot during an appearance on Colin Cowherd’s radio show today.

Cowherd said he heard Kanter believes Zion Williamson is overrated, and when asked if that is the case, Kanter owned up to it and brought another former Wildcat into the conversation with a comparison.

Kanter said, “I kind of feel like he is overhyped. I feel like he is Julius Randle with hops.”

“Some players are scared to say it,” he added, “but you know me, I’m not scared to say anything.”

Oh boy. Hear it for yourself:

In case you didn’t listen, Kanter went on to say Williamson can be a Hall of Famer if he adds a jump shot.

Once Julius Randle caught wind of the comments, he quickly reminded Kanter that he had 45 the last time they met.

I can’t pile on Kanter like everyone else because I wrote this on KSR the night of the NBA draft lottery: “Williamson is Julius Randle without gravity. Left-handed and all.” Thank you to Enes for standing with me on this lonely hill.

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for Kanter says Zion is “Julius Randle with hops”, Randle responds

1. babydangy
    5:15 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

I mean he’s not wrong. Zion is a little faster and probably dribbles a little better. Randle has a better shot, but has been in a the league 5 years now. I’m sure Zion will get a shot eventually, but all it takes is one injury and he will lose most of that explosiveness. Definitely needs to lose some more weight to take some strain off those knees and ankles.

2. BallDontLie
    5:15 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

Yea but Julius Randle is pretty good.

• davisfeathers
      9:10 am June 27, 2019 Permalink

i was gonna say- Julius Randle with hops would be a top 10 player in the NBA

3. clarks
    5:18 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

I always felt the same way about him but think Randle had better work ethic. Randle did take us to a final not 16

4. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    5:22 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

First thing Zion needs to do is learn how to score and defend without fouling against higher end players. Then he can worry about his shot.

5. Jpcat15
    5:27 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

Julius has above average hops himself.

6. StillBP
    5:34 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

Seems like Enes enjoys talking smack about/to other UK players. Seeming more like a punk all the time.

• magimae
      6:01 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

totally agree, especially for someone who never played one game as a cat, I don’t even consider him as a former wildcat.

• bbn606
      10:12 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

Just remember where he came from.

• satcheluk
      10:23 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

And look where u came from. How is that better?

7. az1006
    5:59 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

I personally don’t understand why Kanter talks so much. He’s a decent player, but he’s not done anything to warrant the kind of bravado he carries himself with. He averages 12 ppg for his career, and has already played for 4 teams. Never been an All-Star. I don’t necessarily think he’s wrong in his assessment of Zion, but I don’t think he should be the one offering it up.

As for Zion, the thing that concerns me the most about him is his size coupled with the way he plays. He relies on explosiveness, and when you’re carrying around that much weight, an 82-game season could really cause some damage to his body. Hopefully nothing happens, but it wouldn’t shock me at all to see him tear an ACL or Achilles at some point, because of his explosiveness. He will have to work extra hard to take care of his body.

8. michaelb
    6:34 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

There are no good so&so to Zion comparisons including this one by Kanter . He’s obviously & simplistically one of a kind . I mean ya know how he’s amazing & never seen anything like him . People some times don’t take that in the literal sense like they should

9. StuckinLville
    6:41 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

I think the probably is it makes it sound like he’s saying Randle is over hyped.

10. RAGE
    7:16 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

I honestly thought before the draft and still do that RJ Barrett is a better fit and a better NBA player than Zion…

11. taiza67
    7:41 pm June 26, 2019 Permalink

Why do people think this is a shot at Randle? He just said that Zion isn’t the god everyone thinks he is.he didn’t say Randle wasn’t a good player.

12. stevemotley