Julius Randle will no longer participate in the Team USA training camp set to begin next week.
According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN, the former Kentucky forward has withdrawn from the upcoming event due to a “family issue.”
Julius Randle has withdrawn from Team USA training camp due to a family issue. The Nuggets’ Torrey Craig has been added to the Select Team to replace Landry Shamet. Players report tomorrow in Vegas.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) August 3, 2019
Last season in New Orleans, Randle averaged a career-high 21.4 points and 8.7 rebounds while shooting over 52 percent from the field. He signed a monster deal with the New York Knicks this summer worth $63 million over the next three years.
Though Randle will not be in attendance, former Wildcats Bam Adebayo (official Team USA training camp roster) and De’Aaron Fox (USA Select Team) will represent the Kentucky basketball program when the team meets in Las Vegas from August 5-8 for training camp.
The nationally televised Blue-White game will take place at T-Mobile Arena on August 9, followed by an official roster cut to determine who will make the official Team USA FIBA World Cup roster.
From there, the team will participate in another training camp from August 13-15, including a scrimmage against Spain on August 16. They will then travel to Australia for camp from August 19-28 before officially heading to Shanghai, China for the World Cup from August 29 through September 15.
Former Kentucky star Anthony Davis was also on the initial Team USA training camp roster, but opted to withdraw on July 15 so he could focus on the upcoming season with the Los Angeles Lakers. Davis was then joined by James Harden, Eric Gordon, Bradley Beal, Tobias Harris, CJ McCollum, Damian Lillard, DeMar DeRozan, and Zion Williamson, among others, as those pulling out from consideration.
As of today, here is the official Team USA training camp roster:
- Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics)
- Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets)
- Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics)
- Thaddeus Young (Chicago Bulls)
- Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings)
- Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers)
- Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks)
- Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors)
- Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks)
- Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz)
- Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics)
- P.J. Tucker (Houston Rockets)
- Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers)
- Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics)
- Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat)
And the official USA Select Team roster:
- Jarrett Allen (Brooklyn Nets)
- Marvin Bagley III (Sacramento Kings)
- Mikal Bridges (Phoenix Suns)
- Jalen Brunson (Dallas Mavericks)
- John Collins (Atlanta Hawks)
- Pat Connaughton (Milwaukee Bucks)
- De’Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings)
- Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets)
- Jonathan Isaac (Orlando Magic)
- Mitchell Robinson (New York Knicks)
- Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs)
- Trae Young (Atlanta Hawks)
- Jaren Jackson Jr. (Memphis Grizzlies)
- Torrey Craig (Denver Nuggets)