Washington Wizards point guard John Wall recently sat down with longtime Washington sportscaster, Chick Hernandez, for a question and answer session.
In the Q&A, Wall had honest discussions with Hernandez about his goals going forward in the NBA, his new teammates Dwight Howard, and an inside look into his life growing up, among many other topics.
The entire conversation can be found here via The Athletic (which is a pay-to-view site). Some of the highlights during the 20 question sitdown include:
- Wall saying that being able to play in just one NBA game fulfilled his dream as a rookie.
- He tabbed this summer the “Summer of Separation” thanks to 32nd overall ranking he received from ESPN earlier in the month. He wants to separate himself from the pack of individuals he believes he’s already better than.
- His ultimate goal now is to win an MVP and a championship, but he understands it’s going to take overall team success to achieve those lofty accomplishments.
- A successful 2018-19 season includes 50-plus wins and a top two spot in the Eastern Conference.
- He reiterated that he’s going back to Kentucky to finish his degree in order to honor his later father, something he initially shared during last season’s All-Star weekend.
- His negative demeanor as a budding basketball prospect during his middle and high school days and how he learned to overcome that.
There are plenty more interesting tidbits into Wall’s life – especially regarding his dad – that are shared throughout the piece. It’s worth a read and helps us as fans understand just how hard he’s worked and continues to work as he heads into his ninth NBA season.