Jodie Meeks set to graduate from UK in May

(Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

(Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

(Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

One of the things Cal prides himself and the program on is the number of players who leave early, but return to finish their degrees. Although he didn’t play under Cal, Jodie Meeks is one of those players. According to Lakers beat reporter Mike Trudell, Meeks is on track to graduate from UK in May after working towards his degree during offseasons.

Meeks is now a free agent, but told Trudell he hopes he’ll be back in LA next season: “I’m not sure. I want to be back. I loved playing here. We’ll see how the draft and free agency goes.” Meeks was one of the few bright spots for the Lakers this season, averaging a career-best 15.6 points per game, almost double his average last season.

Keep making us proud, Jodie.

18 Comments for Jodie Meeks set to graduate from UK in May

1. Chris
    5:38 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Man that picture makes me wonder what could have been…

• Bryan in Houston
      5:54 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I think we would’ve won #8 then. Very happy to hear Jodie Meeks is graduating.

• Bob Day
      6:01 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I agree with both comments. That is a terrific photo and I love the UK continuity of it. I also think the Cats may have well won #8 had Jodie remained at Kentucky for the following season. Still, I’m happy for having success in the league and for him persevering toward his degree.

2. UKBlue
    5:51 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

If there wasn’t enough evidence already, the fact the Lakers haven’t already signed Jodie up for a longer contract just shows the stupidity of Jimmy Buss.

3. Mack
    5:55 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

If he had stayed one more year.

4. David
    5:59 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

imagine that 2010 Elite 8 game vs West Virginia had Jodie decided to come back and be a part of Cal’s first team…I see him lighting it up from downtown and depositing an NCAA trophy and a 2010 title banner in Rupp…oi vay

5. Jughead
    6:05 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Still one of my all-time favorites.

6. raccoon
    6:07 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Congrats to Jodie. Great accomplishment!

7. tom5673
    6:34 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

congratulations to jodie! i truly believe the cats would have went 40-0 with jodie in 2010. what could have been…can’t wait to watch john wall against the bulls in the first round.

8. Tom Blevins
    6:34 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I’m so proud of Jodie for getting his degree. He’s a fine man, and I’m glad he chose to play basketball at Kentucky. Seeing that photo of he and Wall together did make me think what several others have posted. An NCAA championship if he had returned for his senior year, and it would have been Kentucky’s greatest backcourt ever. maybe it would have been college basketball’s greatest backcourt ever.

9. Daniel
    7:27 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Congratulations Jodie

10. Elwood Blues
    8:02 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I mean this in the gayest way possible when I say I would let John Wall tame my strange.

11. The Loco Pollo
    8:04 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I’ll take, “Things Forde will never report for $200 please Alex”

12. Bringith
    9:04 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

So awesome that Jodie and Masiello will graduate together.

13. Louisville
    9:10 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

But, but…. ex-UK players don’t care about da’ school, coming back or getting they degree! WWW prolly paid someone to take his classes for him. The NCAA won’t do nothing about it cuz they all afraid of WWW. Actually, it was the REFS! They fixed the game so that Jodie Meeks is set to graduate from UK in May!

“They still want Pitinio. There’s you ultimate bottom line and there is no other.” (<—- actual quote from a UL thread….)

14. bgblue
    10:10 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Congratulations Jodie!!!
    He is one of my favorite players since I move to KY in 2003. When he decided to go Pro I went to his signing event at Fayett Mall. He was very nice and took pictures with me. I have the picture as my screen savor at home and at work.

15. ukbradstith
    11:12 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

That’s your 40-0 team right there.

16. GeoS
    1:03 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Congrats, Jodie, for getting that Big blue degree, your play for the Cats, and for this past season. Your Peachtree Corners neighbor, Geo Spalding