Jamal Mashburn enjoying his ‘financial empire’

PHOTO: @CityOfPalmsBKB

PHOTO: @CityOfPalmsBKB

Jamal Mashburn isn’t just sitting back and enjoying his retirement. The former UK star and NBA All-Star is as busy as ever and runs over 90 business. The Lexington Herald-Leader profiled Mashburn’s success, who last played in the NBA 14 years ago.

Mashburn put in an unsuccessful bid for the then-New Orleans Hornets but still has high hopes for owning an NBA team one day.

Besides owning an NBA team, Mashburn also wants to mentor current NBA players on their fiances.

“… At the end of the day, I look at myself as a teacher in a non-traditional form, not in the classroom,” Mashburn said. “One day I do want to put together a curriculum. I have spoken to a lot of NBA players. Some reached out to me and have chatted about certain things they want to get involved in.”

We hear about heartbreaking stories of players far too often, so it’s great to hear of a former Cat that is doing so well. I’m all for Mashburn owning an NBA team hopefully bringing it to Louisville someday.

Mashburn’s son, Jamal Mashburn Jr., has also received attention from several blueblood programs. Mashburn Jr., is a 6-foot, 180-pound guard that just transferred from Gulliver Prep in Miami, Fla., to Brewster Academy in New Hampshire.

The four-star Mashburn Jr. is ranked No. 76 in the 247 Sports rankings.

Read the entire article HERE.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

9 Comments for Jamal Mashburn enjoying his ‘financial empire’

1. runningunnin.454
    6:36 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Good to see Mash doing so well.
    I don’think the players need mentoring about their fiancés, though. Anyway, fiancé is masculine and the feminine is fiancée.
    I apologize; I couldn’t resist…haha ha.

2. wyatts1
    6:53 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Monster mash, alongside of the unforgettables it could arguably be said he was one of the most important players to have ever came to UK. Not saying he was the best, but I am saying considering the status of our UK wildcats when he decided to join he brought us out of a dark place, him and the unforgettables. That’s why as much as I despise the actions of Rick pitino, I can’t change the fact that at that point in time no other coach could’ve did so much with so little. That team is undoubtedly my favorite team that I’ve had the luctury of watching, even though we didn’t win a championship we did win back our respect and dignity.
    Sorry I got carried away ?

• runningunnin.454
      7:34 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Agree 100%. He was a special player; on the court, and in UK history.

• mashburnfan1
      10:24 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

wyatts1 you are correct. Easily the most important recruit in UK history and why he is my all time favorite player. Had he stayed healthy in the NBA he would have been a top 50 player all time {still wish you would have took that shot vs the Knicks in the playoffs but I am almost over it}. Amazing to see he only made $75 million in 12 years when I see scrubs getting 4 year $80 million contracts today. Timing is everything I guess. Had the honor of meeting Jamal a few times and he was even kind enough to sign items and take pictures with kids I coached. I even sent his mother a package of Jamal items when I found out she collected years ago. First class player, son, person and I am sure father. His mom continued working even as he was making millions in the NBA so we know where he got the work ethic and being a good human from. Also I believe she was a major factor in him going to UK. Thank you Helen Mashburn and Jamal Mashburn for all you have done for UK and so much more after UK. His birthday is Nov 29th and Lexington should make that, or the day he signed with UK, Monster Mash day.

• J. Did
      6:33 am July 6, 2018 Permalink

Agreed. Pitino was also a business mentor to the young fella. Mashburn was probably one of his best and most successful students.

3. Saul T. Nuts
    8:18 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

He’s the man…my favorite player!

4. lex2nashCat
    2:09 am July 6, 2018 Permalink

Monster Mash – generational type talent, and a great role model for players. Success doesn’t begin and end on the court/field. Mash is an excellent example.

Also – being ‘that guy’ -but, there are two grammatical errors in the in the first 3 paragraphs of the post…Pretty sure Mash is NOT mentoring players on their fiancées.

5. demoCrAT
    9:54 am July 6, 2018 Permalink

Mentor their finances…..wink, wink

6. BCO
    3:03 pm July 6, 2018 Permalink

Maybe ive missed it but im suprised hes not around the program more often. Loved watching him as a kid.