Enes Kanter refuses to step down from battle with Turkish president

By now, you’re probably familiar with Enes Kanter’s battle with the Turkish government. For years, Kanter has been a supporter of U.S. based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen, an outspoken critic of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Last month, Kanter was detained in a Romanian airport because the Turkish government claims Gülen’s movement is a terror organization. Upon his return to the US, Kanter continued to denounce Erdogan, whom he refers to as the “Hitler of our century.” A few weeks later, Kanter’s father — who denounced his son last year for his beliefs — was detained by security forces in Istanbul and jailed for almost a week, a move which Kanter told VICE Sports was directed at him.

It was kind of like a warning for me: if you don’t stop talking, we’ll put your dad in jail and your mom will be next. They think I’m going to stop talking but no. When they do it, I want to talk more, to tell all these people, like, this is what’s really going on.”

Kanter admitted that he’s afraid the Turkish government won’t leave his family alone, but still refuses to be silenced.

“I understand my family is of course important. I love my family, I love my country, but I have to do this for all of the innocent people.”

Check out his full interview with VICE Sports below.

8 Comments for Enes Kanter refuses to step down from battle with Turkish president

1. bdmnky81
    12:22 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

I dont feel bad for the dad because he took the cowards way out a while back and denouced his son. But if they go after the other family members, then i think our state department should step in and explore human rights violations as well as sanctions against turkey

• Luether
      1:12 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

Our State Dept definitely has higher priority things to worry about than this…

• katfan33
      1:36 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

Human rights should be the highest priority of any country! Fact, not opinion!

• bdmnky81
      8:34 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

No, not really luether. The state department is governed by politics just like every government entity. And with Enes willing to be the posterboy/cover story for a reason to do something in Turkey, then our state department should take advantage of it. Taking on Turkey will also help out our allies in the Kurds, who if you may remember are doing most of the heavy lifting against ISIS. Turkey has caused yhe kurds to divert needed resources from said fight. So, yeah, the state depeartment SHOULD take advantage of a political rally call. Stick to limp wristed one liners defending u of l. Global politics aint your wheelhouse.

• Booby Petrino
      1:45 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

cold hearted people in here. I still have sympathy for him, even though he tried to being detained and possibly tortured by denouncing his son, who is in the US making millions and living a great life. I can only imagine the torture that psychopaths like Erdogan inflict on people he deems his enemies.

• Booby Petrino
      1:46 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

*prevent being detained

2. Chacosrule
    1:19 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

What’s more important than human rights violations?

3. katfan33
    1:34 pm June 29, 2017 Permalink

Keep up the work against this tyrant, Enes!! Too many people in major countries blindly follow ignorant, tyrant, so-called leaders these days. Don’t be a sheep.