DeMarcus Cousins on Warriors: “We’re the most hated team in sports.”

(Photo via Getty Images)

(Photo via Getty Images)

Nearly an entire calendar year later, former Kentucky star DeMarcus Cousins is set to take the floor for the first time since his Achilles tear suffered back on January 26, 2018.

Tomorrow night against the Los Angeles Clippers at 10:30 p.m. ET, Boogie is back.

In an exclusive interview with ESPN’s Rachel Nichols, Cousins says being away from the game so long was like getting his favorite toy taken away from him as a child.

“It’s almost like a punishment for me, like when you’re a kid and you get your favorite toy taken away from you for a certain amount of time,” he said. “When you get it back, it’s like you love it even more.”

Following such a severe injury, what can fans expect in his return?

“Obviously I won’t be the same player. I’ve gotten better,” he said with a laugh.

Now that he’ll be back on the floor with the back-to-back NBA champions, Cousins said he’s ready to embrace the bad boy mentality that comes with being a Golden State Warrior.

“We’re the most hated team in sports,” he said. “I would say the Warriors are for sure. They hate Kevin (Durant), they hate me. The only guy they really like is Steph (Curry), and they may hate him as well. They hate Draymond (Green). But, I mean, it is what it is. I can’t worry about that.”

Cousins received an endless amount of backlash for signing with the Warriors as a free agent this past offseason, and that’ll only return when he starts to find his groove again back on the basketball floor.

Check out the entire interview with ESPN here:

Cousins posted footage of his most recent work with the Warriors G-League affiliate in Santa Cruz during his rehab back in December:

Tomorrow, we get to see Cousins officially suit up for “the most hated team in sports” for the first time in a year.

Welcome back, Big Cuz!

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

13 Comments for DeMarcus Cousins on Warriors: “We’re the most hated team in sports.”

1. Aar
    9:35 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

As long as Boogie’s a Warrior, I ain’t hatin’.

• IndianaSucks
      10:22 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

You’re in the minority my friend

• bigbluebanana
      10:47 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been a die hard Warriors fan since Don Nelson left Dallas and went there. (I’ve always been a huge Mavericks fan, Dirk is my favorite player ever). Words can’t express how happy I was when boogie went there. No team can top UK for me, but the Warriors, St. Louis Cardinals, and Pittsburgh Penguins fight hard for the second spot.

• IndianaSucks
      11:11 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

What’s your NFL team?

• bigbluebanana
      12:02 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Don’t really have one. I grew up over Lyon County, no football there, so football was never a big thing to me. I guess the Rams when they were in St. Louis, I usually cheer for the Titans, I lived in Charlotte for a decade so I root for the Panthers, and I live in Pittsburgh now, so I’ll cheer for the Steelers. A shorter answer would’ve been; I don’t really have one! Lol

That’s why I tend to stay quiet on here when talking about football (unless it’s talking about coaches)…I don’t really know enough about it to argue in an informed way. But I love UK sports through and through, so if the football Cats are playing, I cheer my heart out!

2. Cletis75
    9:39 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

The Patriots are hated by more because the NFL is more popular. Plus, they won Their 1st 3 championships by cheating. I know some people lost a lot of respect for you and Durant, because some people earn a title and make a name for themselves, and others just ride the coat tails of others. You two choose the easy path, which is why you all will always be seen as cupcakes. Fair or not, that’s the legacy you all chose.

• IndianaSucks
      10:23 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

You know that boogie isn’t reading this right?

• bigbluebanana
      10:49 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

Shh, don’t ruin it for him! Also, if the best company in my line of work offered me a job where I knew I’d get worldwide recognition once said company won “company of the year”, I’d go in a heartbeat…most people would too.

• babbus
      9:21 am January 18, 2019 Permalink

Pretty good synopsis. Bigbluebanana, comparing the general workforce to a competitive sports league doesn’t really work.

3. Mathlete
    9:48 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

Nah man, that’s the Patriots. The Warriors are just annoyingly good, they aren’t notorious cheaters

4. Look Out Fireworks
    11:31 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

Don’t forget about the Yankees

5. Luether
    11:58 pm January 17, 2019 Permalink

The haters are always gonna hate. Looking forward to seeing Boogie back in mid-season form soon…

6. ukcamel
    12:37 pm January 18, 2019 Permalink

Other than Draymond and Pachouli (who doesn’t even play there anymore), the Warriors aren’t really hate-able.

Durant is a coward and it’s now impossible to cheer for him, but I can’t actively hate him.