When free agency opened on July 1, former Kentucky center DeMarcus Cousins was in a tough situation. Following a season-ending Achilles injury suffered back in January, the four-time All-Star’s stock was low, and interest wasn’t all that high around the league. There were even reports that his team, the New Orleans Pelicans, didn’t even offer a contract.

So after two days of stress and lack of interest, Cousins shocked the world by joining the Golden State Warriors.

Showtime is currently working on a documentary series on Boogie’s rehab called “The Resurgence,” where we get an inside look at the recovery process and training for the upcoming season.

In the latest release, Cousins was interviewed about his free agency decision and how he ended up on arguably the greatest NBA team of all time.

“I’ve been up for two days straight, honestly,” Cousins said. “I’ve been up for two days straight. We reached out to teams. The Pelicans, there was no offer. I understand, it was a big year and you don’t want to ruin it taking a chance on a damaged player. Cool.”

And the lack of interest wasn’t just from the Pelicans. Almost no one around the league, despite averaging 25 points and 13 rebounds last season, wanted him.

“We reached out to some other teams. We got answers like “We don’t believe it’s a good fit” or “We gotta see what we’re doing with our roster.” Just kinda, like, bulls**t answers. And then there were some that flat out said “We can’t take that risk.”‘

And then he reached out to Golden State and their players, where he was welcomed with open arms.

“I talked to Draymond, talked to KD, and talked to Steph. They were like “Hell yeah, let’s do it.” You know, this was my ace of spade. This was my nuclear bomb, my last resort.

Cousins said he understands he could’ve gotten a fine contract on a losing team, but that’s not his goal. After years of losing in Sacramento, he wanted to win.

“Yeah, I probably could’ve gotten a decent contract with a bad team. But how does that help me? I’m already fighting a (potentially) career-ending injury. I’m not going to put myself in an already-bad situation… A situation that’s not looking to win,” he said.

And if you don’t like his decision? He doesn’t care. At all.

“I knew how I would be perceived from some. I don’t give a f**k… There’s some motherf***ers out there that are probably ripping their hair out right now. And I love it.”

Check out the full interview below:

#TheResurgence

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

20 Comments for DeMarcus Cousins on backlash received upon joining Warriors: “I don’t give a f**k”

1. Luether
    7:28 pm July 18, 2018 Permalink

My sources say it was a good move for Boogie – assuming he can mostly recover from his injury…

2. UKLugo
    8:03 pm July 18, 2018 Permalink

Love me some, Boogie, man.

3. StuckinLville
    8:22 pm July 18, 2018 Permalink

I don’t blame him one bit. It’s not his fault teams passed on him. I hope he recovers and makes a lot of teams regret it. He is what, a 3 time All-Star now? Dumb to pass on him especially since his recovery is going well. I don’t really like the Warriors, but if Boogie can with a championship then good for him!

4. JPGott2
    9:09 pm July 18, 2018 Permalink

It was exactly what he should have done.

1. Go to a monster of a team to rehab.
    2. Come back in the 2nd half of the year to show you are fully healthy and your game is 100.
    3. Win a championship.
    4. Earn a 4 year Max contract after you show you are 100 with someone else in the league, to finish off your career. He will have the championship ring and will go wherever he wants.

It is as good as he could have done. Best decision.

5. Commissionersteele
    9:48 pm July 18, 2018 Permalink

Good. He shouldnt give a…

6. SuperTroy18
    10:08 pm July 18, 2018 Permalink

In a world of politically correct coachspeak and athlete cookie-cutter answers, Boogie’s personality is SO refreshing. I might not always agree with what he says, but it’s so good to hear a non-robotic answer from a bigtime NBA Star not worried about hurting his “brand” or endangering his endorsements.

7. Memphis UK Cat
    10:27 pm July 18, 2018 Permalink

Great move for Boogie. He maybe setting himself up for great success for the future being able to rehab with the Warriors.

8. Aar
    11:11 pm July 18, 2018 Permalink

<3 Boogie! Prove them all wrong big guy. Can’t continue disliking the Warriors now that you’re one.

9. You Can Call Me Cal
    4:09 am July 19, 2018 Permalink

Boy’s country AF. LOVE IT! Get em Boog!

10. jarred_combs
    7:04 am July 19, 2018 Permalink

That doesn’t really sound like some who doesn’t give a [email protected]#*. This sounds like someone who got their feelings hurt and who’s pouting. Well fine you don’t wanna sign me. I’ll just go to the warriors. ?. Wahhhhhh. ?? ?

• BluKudzu
      8:12 am July 19, 2018 Permalink

That would be Wahhhhhh all the way to the championship, and the bank. Good for DC.

• ClutchCargo
      9:36 am July 19, 2018 Permalink

He was talking about people criticizing him for joining GS, not the other teams. Zero f**ks given, I’m pretty sure.

• 4everUKblue
      10:01 am July 19, 2018 Permalink

He also doesn’t give a [email protected]#k what jarred_combs thinks and neither does anyone else.

11. bbnZach
    12:49 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

We simply dont claim this soft, pathetic snake as a CAT anymore! He goes to a team that won back to back championships so he can ride on Steph/KD coattails, wow! His bio says Loyalty is love, he must not follow what he preaches!

12. Jiminy Crickets
    2:00 pm July 19, 2018 Permalink

This response is exactly why most teams didn’t “see it as a fit”. He’s a phenom on the court and a head case in the locker room.