DeMarcus Cousins is winning fans over, one at a time

Following the advice of former Phoenix Sun and current Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson, DeMarcus Cousins hit the town to win over fans for the Sacramento Kings, one at a time.

Watch as DeMarcus serves lattes, teaches yoga, drives a cab and karaokes “Purple Rain” to earn more fan support.

It’s videos like these that make DeMarcus a fan favorite in Lexington and Sacramento, the cities that actually know him. It’s a damn shame he’s so far back in the All-Star voting when he is eighth in the league in points per game and fifth in rebounds. Shaq and LeBron recently said DeMarcus should be an All-Star, but he was 12th in the West frontcourt voting when the latest returns were released after Christmas.

Vote for him here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for DeMarcus Cousins is winning fans over, one at a time

1. Jughead
    5:18 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Unfortunately, he’ll take a step or two backwards along the way.

2. Biglaw Dawgin'
    5:41 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

That’s what happens when people who have no idea what’s going on control the vote. Exhibit A: Derrick Rose and Kobe are both in the top 3 vote getters for their conference and have played a combined 10 games.

3. Georgetown Luke
    5:50 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Fans will look at their players through tinted lenses. In this case it is blue lenses. How would we as Kentucky fans feel about Cousins if he had not played for Kentucky? How do Florida fans feel about Noah? How do Kentucky fans feel about Noah? Unfortunately for Cousins a somewhat negative impression of him has sprung up, some of which is his own doing.

• raccoon
      6:27 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I agree with you to a point. Although I think that Noah taking a swipe at the UK cheerleader justifies us not liking him forever. That aside, both guys are demonstrative players who are emotional. I know I would have loved Noah if he played for UK. One big difference though is that while people seem to hate Noah and Cousins, with Cousins words like “thug” are used a lot. He has tatoos and doesn’t have famous tennis player/model parents like Noah. I’m ok with people who don’t like Cousins on court, but to try to say he has been anything but great off the court is ridiculous and completely unfounded. You actually hear a whole lot of the opposite – him being charitable with his time and money and living a relatively admirable life. And on top of that he is so UK Blue! Even more than most guys.

• RJ
      6:55 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Raccoon — you’re exactly right. It blows my mind that Louisville fans come onto this site and trash Cousins and his “behavior” as a way to defend Kevin Ware and Chane Behannan. That was happening in almost every post about the two of them. Disliking Cousins on the court is fine — I can completely understand why people would. He plays with too much emotion, taunts, and does some stupid things. But comparing his off the court behavior to players like Hairston, Behannan, Ware (specifically, the “hacked” death threats toward Davis, not the speeding ticket), etc. is just ridiculous.

Cousins has done almost everything right off the court during his college and his pro career. Unfortunately, some bad behavior on the court, and too many technical fouls, have ruined his image.

4. HARK
    6:00 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

WHERES CHARLIE STRONG RIDE IN TOWN

5. jpbky2
    6:02 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Demarcus will always be a favorite of mine. It’s that personality that is missing from this year’s team. A couple years ago, my six year old daughter was looking at lobsters in the tank at Red Lobster. Demarcus came up behind her and scared her. The look on her face was priceless because she loved Demarcus and couldn’t believe it was him. After he did it, he looked at me and wondered if I would be mad. We laughed, he took pictures with her, she has never forgot it. When you only have a player for one year, I think it is important for the players to build that bond with the fans. I think this year’s team has some great kids, they are just quiet and reserved. Sure he needs to grow up in some areas, but the bottom line was that he wanted to rip the other team’s heart out and as a Kentucky fan, that tenacity is what I like to see.

6. Politicians
    6:11 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

That’s the way us do it.

7. UK Matt
    6:17 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

The creepy guy at 1:15 looks like Rick Pitino!

8. jo jo
    6:30 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Cusins and davis don’t come up. Hard to get votes that way.

9. Japrick
    8:18 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

Big Cuz has to grow up first. He can buy Christmas gifts for kids and sing Prince songs til he’s blue in the face, but he has to tone it down on the court as well. He looked like he was about ready to kill Archie Goodwin in the game a few weeks back, he racked OJ Mayo, he once was suspended for getting into a heated argument with his head coach, he went after a Spurs announcer, and he’s seen 2 head coaches fired. That doesn’t include his outbursts toward Cal when he played here, as well as his forearm to Swopshire. As Batman put it, “It’s not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.”

10. i said it a long time ago
    8:28 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

i always said that if Noah played at UK we would celebrate who he is and how he plays … the same is true for Cuz ,,, he will always be one of my favs … but i get why people don’tt like him

11. Silky Johnson
    8:34 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

I like Boogie as much as the next Cat fan. No denying his talent. The reason he isn’t likely to make the all start team is because he acts like a total dick most of the time. It is really hard to like this guy when you watch him play. He cries about everything, pouts like a kid, and looks like he has smelled something bad all the time. I wish he would grow up and play like a man.

12. harry
    8:52 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

love boogie.

13. Come on
    10:42 pm January 6, 2014 Permalink

He is one of us, forever

14. asdf
    8:57 am January 7, 2014 Permalink

If Cousins stops shooting himself in the foot with juvenile antics on the court, he’d be a poster boy for the league. He has both the game and the approachable, but still larger-than-life personality to represent the league better than anyone. Jordan made more off endorsements than he ever made playing ball. Same with Barkley, and Cuz has what it takes to be in the same mold.