DeAndre Liggins Signs with London Lions

DeAndre Liggins is trading in his cup of Joe for tea and crumpets*.

Wednesday morning the London Lions announced they have signed Liggins, who will begin play in the British Basketball League in September. The 32-year-old former Kentucky Wildcat most recently played professionally in Spain.

In the team’s announcement, you’ll notice something a little different in Liggins’ quote. “I am very excited to join such a winning and upcoming organisation. My competitive edge and winning mentality will certainly be effective immediately in the London Lions’ organisation, I’m excited and can’t wait.”

After helping Kentucky snap a 13-year Final Four drought in 2011, Liggins was selected in the second round of the NBA Draft with the 53rd overall pick. Over the next decade he bounced around between the Thunder, Mavs, Cavs, Pelicans and G-League, where he won a championship and was twice named Defensive Player of the Year.

*What the hell is a crumpet anyway? Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if crumpets actually weren’t a thing consumed by Britons at all, just an easy stereotype for dumb Americans to draw upon when they need a cheap laugh.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

6 Comments for DeAndre Liggins Signs with London Lions

1. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:22 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Liggins is 32? Man I’m getting old.

2. 4everUKBlue
    10:54 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

Best of Luck DeAndre, I always wished he had stayed another year, we could’ve use his defensive intensity.

3. Ez21
    11:10 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

So who is it that can’t spell organization? You or Liggins? I assume he’s the one that wrote upcoming instead of up and coming but with how many mistakes KSR makes in most posts you never know.

• stl_cat
      11:21 am July 22, 2020 Permalink

It’s the British spelling of organization and the change was even alluded to in the writer’s sentence prior to the quote. You have poor reading comprehension.

• nocode96
      4:29 pm July 22, 2020 Permalink

Imagine confidently being an idiot! The US is the only English downing nation that uses a Z in the spelling and long before we were even s as country, it was spelled with an S. Ignorance like this and being so confident snout it is why this country is a laughing stock of the world and exactly how we got into the mess we are in with supreme leader small hands.

4. satcheluk
    2:37 pm July 22, 2020 Permalink

I was hoping he would have signed with the Corbin Critters, but London was my second choice.