After being cut from the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday, Dakari Johnson just received some good news. The former Cat is one of 14 players invited to USA Basketball’s World Cup Qualifying Team training camp, which begins September 6 in Las Vegas.
The camp will determine the 12-man roster for Team USA’s first competition window of FIBA World Cup Qualifying second-round games. Here’s the complete list of attendees:
- Reggie Hearn (Grand Rapids Drive)
- Jameel Warney (Texas Legends)
- Bryce Alford (Oklahoma City Blue)
- Dwayne Bacon (Charlotte Hornets)
- V.J. Beachem (Free Agent)
- Jordan Crawford (New Orleans Pelicans)
- Henry Ellenson (Detroit Pistons)
- Isaiah Hicks (New York Knicks)
- Dakari Johnson (Free Agent)
- Frank Mason III (Sacramento Kings)
- Ben Moore (Fort Wayne Mad Ants)
- Chasson Randle (Capital City Go-Go)
- Travis Trice (Milwaukee Bucks)
- Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs)
Jeff Van Gundy is the head coach of the squad and Mike Miller and John Thompson III will serve as assistants. Once the roster is complete, Team USA will take on Uruguay on September 14 (7 p.m. PDT) at UNLV’s Cox Pavilion, then meet Panama on September 17 in Panama City.
John Calipari took to Twitter this afternoon to wish his former player good luck.
“Congratulations to Dakari Johnson for earning an invitation to USA Basketball’s training camp for the World Cup Qualifying Team. I’m so proud of how hard Dakari continues to work and I know his best basketball is still ahead of him. Go earn that spot, Dakari!”