cal-mkg-wall-boogie-davis

True to form, John Calipari is doing a little work on his vacation. Yesterday, Cal spoke to USA Today’s Sam Amick about former Cats and current Team USA members Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins, and how he believes the benefits of being on Team USA outweigh the risks. Cal spoke at length about how much he feels being on the national team has helped Derrick Rose and Davis, the latter of which he predicted could be “the best player in the NBA” in five years. Cal said he hopes the same will happen for Cousins, who he believes could be a “10-time All-Star” thanks in part to the maturity and experience he gains from being on Team USA.

Davis and Cousins make it two Cats on the roster, but by 2016, Cal says he hopes John Wall also makes the squad, along with “half of the guys we have in the league”:

“[Cousins] is going to have more of a desire to make that Olympic team in 2016, as is John Wall (who didn’t make the USA roster) and I’m hoping half of the (former Kentucky) guys we have in the league, 20-something, will have an opportunity to make that roster.”

Whoa. Let’s think about this. By 2016, the following Kentucky players will likely be in the league:

• Tayshaun Prince
  • Aaron Harrison
  • Willie Cauley-Stein
  • Dakari Johnson
  • Marcus Lee
  • Karl Towns
  • Alex Poythress

First of all, good grief, that’s a lot, and I didn’t even include Tyler Ulis, Devin Booker, and Trey Lyles. Cal’s estimate that half of the UK alums in the league will have the chance to make the team is, in true Cal fashion, a bit much, but I could see Davis, Cousins, Wall, Noel, Randle, and maybe Karl getting a shot. Maybe with Calipari as coach? Thoughts? (UPDATE: As many of you pointed out, yes, Karl would probably play for the Dominican team. Forgive me for a brain fart as I was rushing out the door to drive up to Danville.)

[USA Today]

24 Comments for Calipari hopes half of the UK players in the NBA have the chance to make the 2016 Olympic Team

1. Ben
    1:09 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Karl wouldn’t be able to play for team USA.

• therealbigjon
      1:15 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

I think KAT was born here but his parents were born in the Dominican Republic so he probably has Dual Citizenship making him eligible to play for Team USA.

• DH
      2:13 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

I thought once you played for one national team you couldn’t switch teams. He would have been eligible had he never suited up for the Dominican team, but he can’t “transfer”. It has nothing to do with dual citizenship

2. Captain Obvious
    1:17 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

KAT has already suited up for the DR against team USA…

3. Chris
    1:30 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Doubt Bogans, Prince, Hayes will be in the league, and Kanter would not be eligibile.

4. Charlie
    1:33 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Eric Bledsoe?????

5. FlySoup
    1:48 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Karl plays for the DR

6. Team USA
    1:51 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

No way Randle makes Teams USA. I love the kid’s game but he just doesn’t have the size or offensive skills to be able to play in the international game. Noel would be a long shot unless he gains some weight like AD has done.

If UK gets anymore people on Team USA, it will be quick guards and great shooters. KD will play in 2016 and LeBron has talked about playing too, which takes away major needs at the stretch 3 and 4 positions.

7. Michael Weathers
    2:13 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Actually, I believe KAT can play for USA, as I am not sure he has logged a single minute in international competition. The game against USA was an exhibition, correct?

• DH
      2:18 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Yes, the game against the US was an exhibition. But I could have sworn he had played prior to this season, though I could be wrong. Even so, International competition starts this week, I think. I’m sure he’ll be getting playing time once it does start

• bbr
      4:42 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Towns is not travelling with the DR team for FIBA games

• DH
      5:09 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Good point. I had forgotten about that

8. james gover
    2:31 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

I think the USA team should be selected after a competition of GRADUATES representing the colleges from which they graduated. UK, Duke, KS, NC, AZ, UCLA could compete.

• Ryan
      3:04 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

What do GRADUATES have to do with the Olympics? Why would you limit it to only those schools? There are some really good players that come out of schools that aren’t in the Blue Blood family. The USA team should be made up of the best athletes in the world at their position regardless or race, creed, color, the school they went to, or their graduation status.

9. Bdmnky81
    2:43 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

NOEL would have the chance to make team USA in the same role that Tyson Chandler did not to long ago. A superb defensive presence who will get you some offensive rebounds and garbage buckets. As for the list, I’m disappointed in the list due to its lack of basic editing. 5 minutes of oversite would have allowed you to keep from including older players that probably won’t be in the game anymore as well as foreign born players.

10. Karl Towns
    3:00 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Will not play for Team USA.

11. Karl-Anthony Towns Jr
    3:05 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

If you would pay attention. I was mentioned as a UK Alum in the NBA in 2016. Being that the whole article is about how half of us could be on team USA, or trying to be, I would still be included in the list. Morons.

• Django
      3:15 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Moron. Read the article, she said Karl would have a shot at USA team. Moron.

12. Enes K.
    3:08 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

I’m also on the list and I am Turkish. Morons.

• Django
      3:15 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

You’re an idiot.

13. DH
    3:13 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Did you read the last paragraph, or did you just look at the list? Because if you paid attention, you could see where Mrs TT said “…but I could see Davis, Cousins, Wall, Noel, Randle, and maybe Karl getting a shot.” Moron.

14. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    4:04 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

Our favorite defensive mastermind DeAndre Liggins got snubbed. Ouch Mrs. TT. He could potentially be moved back up from the D-League by then….. Potentially…….

15. UK Freshmen
    4:36 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

And just how many National Championships has Cal won for us again??

• UL Sux Dix
      11:30 pm August 29, 2014 Permalink

As many as Rick at Louisville, and in a quarter of the time! Have a good March! We’ll be having a good April….