Good afternoon, folks, and happy MLK Day. Karl-Anthony Towns got the better of Devin Booker thanks to a Derrick Rose game-winner. Let’s talk NBA.
Since today is MLK Day, the NBA celebrates by featuring games all day long, starting at 12:30 p.m. and running through 10:30 p.m. So if you have nothing to do today (and we all know you don’t), you might as well turn on the TV and check out some former Wildcats. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to watch at least one of them.
[11-37] Suns – 114 @ [22-24] Timberwolves – 116
- In a matchup between former college teammates, Karl-Anthony Towns and his Minnesota Timberwolves got the best of Devin Booker and the Phoenix Suns on Sunday night.
- Towns scored 30 points on only eight made shots but was a perfect 13-13 mark from the free throw line, although only two of his points came after halftime thanks to constant double teams from the Suns. He pulled down 12 rebounds for this 29th double-double of the season while also dishing out four assists and tieing a career-high with four steals.
- Derrick Rose scored 29 of his 31 points in the second half and also hit the game-winning shot for the Wolves.
- Devin Booker shot 7-15 from the field for 18 points in addition to his six rebounds and six assists (and five turnovers).
- The Charlotte Hornets were smacked by the Indiana Pacers by a score of 120-95. Malik Monk contributed 11 points, three rebounds, two assists, and two steals while Michael Kidd-Gilchrist added seven points and two rebounds.
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander had one of his worst shooting performances of his young career, missing 12 of his 15 shot attempts for only seven points. However, the recently struggling Clippers stuck with SGA despite his shooting woes, playing him 37 minutes and as he helped lead his team to a massive win over a hot San Antonio Spurs squad. The Clippers had dropped five straight games before their win on Sunday.
|Karl-Anthony Towns (MIN)||116-114 W vs. PHX||30||8-22 (1-5)||12||4||4||1||4||+1||39|
|Devin Booker (PHX)||114-116 L @ MIN||18||7-15 (1-6)||6||6||0||0||5||-11||32|
|Malik Monk (CHA)||95-120 L @ IND||11||4-9 (2-3)||3||2||2||0||3||-10||15|
|Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (CHA)||95-120 L @ IND||7||2-4 (1-2)||2||0||0||0||1||-9||18|
|Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (LAC)||103-95 W @ SAS||7||3-15 (1-2)||4||3||0||0||3||-4||37|
TODAY IN THE NBA
12:30 (NBATV): Thunder (Diallo, Noel, Patterson) @ Knicks (Kanter, Knox)
1:00: Bulls @ Cavaliers
2:00: Pistons @ Wizards (Wall-out)
2:00: Mavericks @ Bucks (Bledsoe)
3:00 (NBATV): Magic (Briscoe) @ Hawks (Poythress)
3:30: Kings (Cauley-Stein, Fox, Labissiere) @ Nets
5:30 (TNT): Pelicans (Davis, Miller, Randle) @ Grizzlies
6:00: Heat (Adebayo) @ Celtics
8:00 (TNT): Rockets (Knight-questionable) @ 76eres
9:00: Trail Blazers @ Jazz
10:30 (TNT): Warriors (Cousins) @ Lakers (Rondo-out)
Follow me on Twitter: @ZackGeoghegan