BBNBA: Murray sits and Davis struggles while protests proceed

(@MeyersLeonard)

(@MeyersLeonard)

Good morning, folks. So far, so good… Let’s talk NBA Bubble.

RECAP

Officially three days into the Bubble, we are now to the point where all 22 teams have played at least one regular-season seeding game. Across these three days, we’ve seen widespread protests against racial and social injustice supported by players, coaches, and referees control the pre-tipoff spotlight. On Saturday, all 10 teams that played participated in the same demonstrations from the previous two days; arms were interlocked, “Black Lives Matter” t-shirts were worn, and various social messages were written across the backs of jerseys while the national anthem echoed in the background.

Throughout the day, ESPN play-by-commentator Mark Jones consistently brought up how Breonna Taylor was shot eight times by Lousiville police in the comfort of her own home and how the officers have still not been arrested.

Before tipoff of the Toronto Raptors-Los Angeles Lakers game, the two sides kneeled throughout the duration of both the United States and Canadian national anthems.

“Honestly to think about it, I was on my knee for over four minutes,” Raptors guard Kyle Lowry told ESPN’s Malika Andrews. “To think that a police officer could do that for eight minutes and 46 seconds. Doc Rivers said it, about two minutes, and now we done it for eight [minutes] tonight and I indented my towel. It’s a sad moment. I think we did a great job of understanding what we’re doing and why we’re doing it. We’re using our platform, and my shirt says a lot.”

Over the course of the first three successful days in the Bubble, there have been a select group of individuals who have elected to stand for the anthem–notably San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich. On Saturday, Miami Heat center Myers Leonard offered up his explanation as to why he chose to stand. He explained that the decision had him torn prior to, but he went out of his way to say that he doesn’t see kneeling for the flag as disrespectful.

Leonard came to his decision after long conversations with Heat teammates Jimmy Butler, Udonis Haslem, and Andre Iguodala along with former Portland Trail Blazers teammates Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum. Even the players who have chosen to stand understand the underlying and most important message: this isn’t about the American flag, it’s about addressing the systemic issues that continue to ravage this country.

Murray sits as Heat dominate

Denver Nuggets guard Jamal Murray was listed as questionable with an injured hamstring leading into his matchup against the Miami Heat on Saturday and just before tip, he was officially ruled out. Murray sat out the first two exhibition games for the Nuggets, but he did make an appearance in the third and final one earlier this week. However, the tightness in his hamstring proved too difficult to play through. The Nuggets were also without two fellow starters, Gary Harris and Will Barton. With a depleted roster, Denver couldn’t keep up with Miami’s hot scoring.

Behind 22 points, nine rebounds, and six assists from former Wildcat Bam Adebayo, Miami was able to cruise to a 125-105 win over Denver. The Nuggets actually held a slight 57-56 lead at the intermission but were outscored by 16 points in the third quarter. Adebayo went 7-12 from the field and 8-10 from the free-throw line.

”I think we really locked in and got stops in the second,” Bam Adebayo said, according to the Associated Press. ”It always helps to make shots, don’t get me wrong. But we started playing a lot harder in the second.”

Heat rookie Tyler Herro dropped in seven points and five rebounds on 3-7 shooting.

Blowouts were the theme of the day

Miami opened up Saturday with a 20-point win and almost everyone else followed suit. The Oklahoma City Thunder knocked around the Utah Jazz by a final score of 110-94 before the L.A. Clippers did the same to the New Orleans Pelicans, 126-103. To cap off the evening, the Raptors used a vicious fourth quarter to take out the L.A. Lakers 107-92. So let’s quickly talk about what went on.

The Thunder continue to look like a team that could make some serious noise once the playoffs begin. They took the Jazz to work, shooting 53 percent from the field while holding a 24-point halftime lead that ballooned to 26 by the time the fourth quarter started. These two teams were actually supposed to play on March 11, the night the NBA was suspended, however, that game was canceled right before tipoff once it was discovered that Jazz center Rudy Gobert tested positive for COVID-19.

In the win for OKC, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander impressed (again), posting 19 points, two rebounds, six assists, and three steals on 6-12 shooting. Even more impressive, though, were the short minutes burst that Hamidou Diallo received. The one-time ‘Cat took full advantage of his 20 minutes, adding nine points and four rebounds while making both of his attempts from beyond the arc. Backup center Nerlens Noel snagged six rebounds and swatted four shots in his 17 minutes of action.

As for Anthony Davis, he’ll look to put his Saturday night performance in the rearview. He was out of sync all evening long, managing a mere 14 points and six rebounds while shooting just 2-7 from the floor (two made field goals tied Davis’ season-low). The Lakers as a unit shot a season-low 35.4 percent overall. If Toronto needed any more justification that they are still the defending NBA Champions, they earned it last night.

Other notes from the Bubble

STATISTICS

PlayerResult PointsFG (3FG)Reb.Ast.StealsBlocksTOs+/-Mins.
Bam Adebayo (MIA)125-105 W @ DEN227-12 (0-0)96004+1928
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (OKC)110-94 W vs. UTA196-12 (2-5)26302+1532
Anthony Davis (LAL)92-107 L @ TOR142-7 (1-3)63130-1735
Hamidou Diallo (OKC)110-94 W vs. UTA93-6 (2-2)41102+120
Tyler Herro (MIA)125-105 W @ DEN73-7 (1-4)52001+220
Nerlens Noel (OKC)110-94 W vs. UTA31-1 (0-0)60042+617
Patrick Patterson (LAC)126-103 W vs. NOP31-6 (1-5)31000-1021
Jamal Murray (DEN)105-125 L vs. MIADNP-Hamstring----------------
Rajon Rondo (LAL)92-107 L @ TORDNP-Thumb----------------

TODAY IN THE NBA BUBBLE

2:00: Wizards @ Nets

3:30 (ABC): Trail Blazers (Gabriel) @ Celtics (Kanter)

4:00: Spurs (Johnson) @ Grizzlies

6:00 (NBATV): Kings (Fox) @ Magic

8:30 (ABC): Bucks (Bledsoe) @ Rockets

9:00: Mavericks (Kidd-Gilchrist: day-to-day) @ Suns (Booker)

Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Recruiting reporter for KSR. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

35 Comments for BBNBA: Murray sits and Davis struggles while protests proceed

1. DaaaaCats
    11:02 am August 2, 2020 Permalink

Here’s the comments summarized:
    Grovel BLM grumble entitled argh not gonna watch it

2. light my fire
    11:23 am August 2, 2020 Permalink

ESPN on stoking more fuel to flames

Did ESPN mention all the little kids killed in Chicago?

If BLM wants social justice then maybe blm shouldn’t teach their kids to hate or fear cops

How about blm get the drugs and gangs off the streets in the inner city and hold parents responsible for their kids in school

• 4everUKBlue
      3:57 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

This would be a good time to talk about all the black on black crimes, that would be a good thing for BLM to work on, but they’re not about anything but tearing down this country.

3. TrueBluePhil
    11:32 am August 2, 2020 Permalink

Wake up Americans, The BLM organization is nothing but a front to destroy what most Americans believe. Read up a little about them and make your own decision.

4. light my fire
    11:33 am August 2, 2020 Permalink

Did espn also demand action against antifa member who killed a cop in the riots?

Did ESPN demand arrest in the looting?

I wish ksr wouldn’t bring up politics so we can just speak on sports but if ksr is going to mention politics then they have to accept comments that are contradicted
    That’s journalism and 1st Am

• Memphis UK Cat
      11:43 am August 2, 2020 Permalink

I love KSR but I stop listening to the podcast because of the politics. For the love of god,

5. Memphis UK Cat
    11:38 am August 2, 2020 Permalink

I will not watch another NBA game that supports a Marxist Terrorist group.

6. TrueBluePhil
    11:43 am August 2, 2020 Permalink

KSR will never except or allow conservative view points. If MJ was such a open balanced person that he says he is, he would have a least one vocal conservative on his radio or website working with him. But his 3 stooges that kiss his ass every day and follow him like a little child that cant think for themselves.

7. Heavy C
    11:54 am August 2, 2020 Permalink

Yep. All of this has sure changed my way of thinking. Mission accomplished. I’ve stopped watching professional sports and watching ESPN. I’m sure in the grand scheme of things that’s nothing. But you hear so many others say the same things. I hope they a dry up and blow away.

8. UKFanSC
    12:17 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

Trying to talk to the typical white millennial about race relations is an exercise in abject frustration. These “useful idiots” are so convinced that they are a privileged subset of society that they immediately throw themselves on the sword of social justice regardless of the circumstances.
    And so it is here. The article was essentially regurgitation of more liberal white guilt propaganda and anyone who point sit out for what it really is is depicted as a racist. One day all of these noodle-armed protester wannabes will find themselves as 55-year-olds who gave away their future when they were naïve 21 year old buffoons.

• Miller45
      1:16 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

Those dingbats are not the typical white millennial I promise you that sir

• UKFanSC
      1:48 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

That is damned reassuring to hear. My niece had convinced me otherwise !!

9. blueNtheFace
    12:22 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

Can we keep the politics out of it ksr?

• UKFanSC
      1:48 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

No. We cannot, because they cannot.

10. VinDatuk
    12:26 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

Protesting social and racial injustice while wearing sneakers and uniforms made by slave labor or children in sweatshops. Got it. Black lives matter…except in cases where blacks people are killing black people.

11. VilleCat11
    12:42 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

Tell lebron hes welcome to moves his a$$ to Canada

12. GACAT
    1:06 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

If these assholes kneel, move to another freaking country. Hell with the nba

13. serdi
    1:21 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

November 3rd. You are voting for Capitalism, Freedom, the rule of law, and despite its warts the greatest country in the world; or you are voting for socialism, destruction, and the religious rights. It is as simple as that.

• serdi
      1:23 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

correct that, and forfeiting of religious rights

• T-Town Cat
      1:45 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

You left out Sharia Law. See Biden’s ad asking for a million Muslim vote.

14. T-Town Cat
    1:43 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

The NBA said they didn’t want anyone following them that isn’t 100% on board with the BLM nonsense. I am complying with that request. If I knew who was sponsoring the telecasts, I would also refuse to buy their products.

15. VirginiaCat
    1:48 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

There seems to be a massive illusion–championed by the media, academia, and the entertainment industry–that symbolic gestures are sufficient to address social ills. Tear down statutes, remove names from buildings, knell during the national anthem, chant slogans, destroy property, defund the police, burn American flags, and shout down opposing points of views. How is this helpful? It merely glosses over real problems that must be identified and addressed, but the forces of political correctness make that impossible. IMO, recent events have set back race relations, not improved them. What I am seeing in the streets and elsewhere is petulance that is fortified by arrogance and abject ignorance.

• UKFanSC
      1:51 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

And that is the true irony of the BLM efforts. It has single-handedly set back race relations and anymarginal improvements that have been made a good 50 years. These protesters are galvanizing main stream America into a much more tribal majority than they were before BLMs mayhem infested our cities

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      3:11 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

They don’t care that they are setting back race relations because their narrative doesn’t work if we live in harmony. There have to be oppressors and oppressed in order to push the narrative for change. So all these oppressed nba players kneel to show solidarity for ideals that their own success contradicts. KSR is actually killing itself long term by supporting the nonsense. Most fans are going to get sick of the NBA and NFL, and that is going to trickle down to being sick of college sports because we, especially in basketball, are so obsessed with how our guys are doing in the pros. That will stop and so will the clicks.

16. ziplock
    1:51 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

Sorry to say but most likely our beloved Cats are also wearing Nike slave made gear. I wish we could move to American made New Balance who have both Kawhi Leonard and former UK track star Sydney McLaughlin as sponsored athletes.

• serdi
      4:06 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

I stopped buying anything Nike when Kap became their poster child. I am all in on leaving Nike but it isn’t going to happen.

17. Jambluehue99
    2:31 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

This is mob justice, not social justice. The society that BLM would usher in will not allow these useful idiots a platform to spew their ignorance.

18. rushman
    3:25 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

Goodbye NBA.

19. 4everUKBlue
    4:10 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

Over the years one thing I have learned is that I can adapt and get used to just about anything that removes harm and stress from my life and I have figured out that I can adapt to a life without sports if need be. If things don’t change, that will be my reality. If they cave to Rupp Arena I will even say goodbye to UK basketball, as much as I hate to. Now call me whatever you want, say no one cares, I don’t give a $hit.

• UKFanSC
      4:26 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you. Especially if they rename Rupp Arena due to woke tantrums. That would do something I had believed no force could ever do, separate me from my love of UK sports.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      5:27 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

I already feel my support for UK athletics wavering with Stoops sporting a BLM shirt and the NBA’s current stances. I had whole heartedly bought in to Calipari’s system of getting guys to the pros. Now I don’t even want to cheer for that because the NBA has reprimanded the Rockets GM for supporting democracy in Hong Kong and now painted a Marxist organization’s name on their courts. So I’m supposed to cheer for guys to come to UK for a year or two and then go to that cesspool? I want our kids to succeed and make money. But then turn around and bite the capitalist hand that feeds them? No thanks. I love UK, but all the coverage of this nonsense is making me tired.

20. PensacolaCat
    6:51 pm August 2, 2020 Permalink

The NBA is playing games?

21. Looother
    10:22 pm August 3, 2020 Permalink

My sources say that blm is a dishonest, racist, Marxist, pro-Communist Democrat Party hate group that celebrates and deifies black criminals who die after choosing to not comply during police interactions…