BBNBA: 2019 NBA Free Agency Kicks Off Today

() Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

(Photo by Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images)

Good afternoon, folks. Over 200 NBA players are set to become free agents once the clock strikes 6:00 pm EST today. Let’s talk NBA offseason.

The NBA decided to bump up the start time for its now famous media frenzy that is summer free agency. Instead of the normal midnight start time – where deals were breaking at 2:30 in the morning – it is now a media spectacle for fans to enjoy. National reporters such as Adrian Wojnarowski (ESPN) and Shams Charania (The Athletic) have already begun to break some of the new signings such as Kemba Walker to Jack’s Boston Celtics and Kyrie Irving to the Brooklyn Nets. And that was a full 24 hours before the official start time. About 40 percent of the league is set to be a free agent in some capacity this summer – many of them high-level All-Stars. My phone might run out of battery after the first hour.

With all this said, I hope everyone is excited for some NBA news today. I’ll be in control of the site all day bringing you the free agent signings the minute they happen. Of course, I’ll only be focusing on the former Kentucky players (and you can check out who is set to be a free agent in my preview pieces here and here). There are even some fringe NBA players such as the Harrison twins and Isaiah Briscoe that could hope to find new homes this summer, too.

I’m particularly interested to see what happens with Willie Cauley-Stein and DeMarcus Cousins. Cousins is going to be a wildcard free agent. I’m not sure even he knows what his market is right now. He’ll receive interest from several teams, but the amount of money and the length of the deal is the intriguing aspect. How will teams view his injury going forward? Can he be an All-Star level player again? With Golden State, we never got the full Cousins experience post-Achilles tear. We don’t really know what to expect from Cousins when he finally does get back onto the court.

As for Cauley-Stein, the Kings recently extended him a qualifying offer, making him a restricted free agent. His agent has already expressed his client’s need for a “fresh start” and the feeling between player and franchise appears to be mutual. Although, there wasn’t any reason for the Kings to not offer the QO. They can trade Cauley-Stein later or just decide to not make him an offer. Either way, they’ll have priority over signing him before any other team.

It’s going to be a crazy afternoon. Hopefully, we can learn the future of some former Wildcats sooner rather than later.

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Covering all things NBA and UK Hoops. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

6 Comments for BBNBA: 2019 NBA Free Agency Kicks Off Today

1. ghilbert77
    1:21 pm June 30, 2019 Permalink

I am so glad that ball hog is out of Charlotte. The most overrated point guard ever.

• nocode96
      1:57 pm June 30, 2019 Permalink

Isaiah Thomas (the new one) would like a word with you.

• UKinMKY
      4:39 pm June 30, 2019 Permalink

To be fair, Charlotte has basically been Kemba and a bunch of dudes since they drafted him. Curious to see how he works out in Boston when he’s even more ball dominant than Kyrie.

2. michaelb
    3:43 pm June 30, 2019 Permalink

I really hope WCS gets what he wants . The kid is a good guy , loyal to his organization, hard worker, has improved every season & deserves his options . Any team would sign this kid, we all seen he’s a great (maybe above avg) role player . I think he may hit a new level with the right coaching staff . Actually I’m sure he would . He’s been at a place where they collect talent and then don’t know what to do with it . I’m not big on what the kings have been doing the last 5 years . I don’t think their front office has a clear business plan or plan of improvement . The keep getting asset after asset with nothing materializing out of it

• michaelb
      3:46 pm June 30, 2019 Permalink

Also is sad because I know this kid and I know how much he loves he California lifestyle . He’s basically a transplant Californian . I hope he can remain in the state if it’s his will. Which I think it is . Maybe he can land on the clippers , southern Cali is way better than sac

3. J. Did
    5:45 pm June 30, 2019 Permalink

Big Cuz. He can contribute. Always has; always will. As much as I disliked the bandwagoneership that seems to have blown up (ala the Bulls when MJ was there – ad infinitum), and the fact that Big Cuz lost bigger money on ‘the gamble’ to jump to the “ship”, I truly hope he lands on the one team where he can do what he does in helping to win an NBA title. The kid is a winner. Any kid that works as hard as he does, as passionate as he is, working to put his own self on “that team” poised to win….before time expires…he deserves to succeed and accomplish that goal. No participation trophy – it’s not all about the Benjamins……it’s all about the chase for the trophy. If this eludes Big Cuz, as a player, I am quite certain he will get one or two plus ‘ships – as a coach.