Anthony Davis tells NBATV “all 29 other teams are on list”

(Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)

(Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images)

Anthony Davis sat down with NBATV at the NBA’s All-Star Weekend Media Day to attempt to bring some clarity to the drama that has followed him since he requested a trade from the Pelicans three weeks ago.

AD explained to Isiah Thomas and Grant Hill why he made the request when he did, “Being honest helps everybody, I wanted to give management more than enough time so they could make the best decision for them. New Orleans always respected me, and I felt like I should do the same.”

“I had a plan, I had steps to follow that plan and did what I was supposed to do. Obviously I knew there was a chance where it probably wasn’t going to happen. So I’m still here. You want to take control of your career. That’s what I tried to do.”

The All-Star center reiterated that winning is his number one priority moving forward, and that it’s not about moving to a bigger market. It had been previously reported that AD’s list of preferred destinations consisted of just four teams, including the Lakers, Clippers, Bucks, and Knicks.

AD told the NBATV guys otherwise, “All 29 other teams are on my list, I don’t have a preferred destination. I just want to win. Whatever team I get traded to, I’ll play for that year [and] make the best of it. When free agency comes, we’ll see what happens. I can’t tell the future.”

Tune in to tonight’s All-Star game to watch AD team up with James Harden, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Durant as part of Team Lebron.

@EMitchKSR

Article written by Eli Mitchell

University of Kentucky Class of 2020

6 Comments for Anthony Davis tells NBATV “all 29 other teams are on list”

1. Rick_S
    4:11 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Lies

• Luether
      9:48 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

I have a lot more respect for a guy who shows loyalty and sticks around to build a program rather than demanding a trade to jump to an already stacked team…

2. Han
    4:26 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

This is just some PR stuff because of how bad everything turned out.

Realistically, there are a lot of teams he doesn’t want to go to because, like he said, he wants to win. He doesn’t want to end up in Phoenix or somewhere else where they’re consistently bad, especially if said team has to give up a lot of stuff to bring him in.

I don’t blame him. I know he signed a contract, but it’s a business and both sides are trying to get as much as they can from the other side. As a fan of the Bengals and KY football, I know what it’s like to watch your team be bad year after year, and for an athlete who cares about winning and not just the paycheck, it gets old, just like him.

I hope he ends up in a good spot next year (ideally with some other Cats), but if he really does want to go to LA, he and Lebron will end up with very little around them because of how that franchise has handled things lately. I don’t have an NBA team I follow (just root for some of our former players), but I think it’d be hilarious if the Knicks get to draft Zion and then bring in Davis and one of Kyrie, KD or Kawai.

3. syrin23
    5:43 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

He signed with LeBron’s agent then tried to bully the Pelicans into a trade that would benefit his agent and LeBron. The Pelicans have talent, young talent and could become a very good team with a few more pieces, but he doesn’t seem to want to stay there and build.

• IrishCat
      6:28 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

My parents are season ticket holders in New Orleans. That organization is NOT building for the future. They’re just trying to ride their star to acceptable profits and not investing in winning. It shows in so many ways to fans who are there. The Boogie deal fell in their lap and they squandered it. Every single NBA team has some talent that could be a good tram w/ a few more pieces, but bad organizations are always in that state. The problem in New Orleans starts w/ the ownership.

• syrin23
      10:36 pm February 17, 2019 Permalink

Well that’s too bad. Still, both he and his agent really screwed up trying to force the LA or else situation. He would have much better off not saying anything until a deal somewhere was finalized.