Anthony Davis drawing comparisons to Bill Russell

(Zimbio.com)

Anthony Davis is not Bill Russell yet. And maybe he never will be. Bill Russell is one of the greatest to ever play the game of basketball, and to even be mentioned in the same breath as a player of that caliber is an honor in and of itself. Following his strong 20-point outpour against Brazil the other night for Team USA, Anthony Davis continues to draw praise as one of the most exciting up and coming stars in the NBA. Davis is starting to move out of the “potential” category and into the “now” category though.

Yesterday on First Take, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless went back and forth a bit on Davis, which brought up the subject of Bill Russell. Smith was ready to go there now…

“This kid is special. Listen, he plays on both ends of the floor. He has continued to develop his jump shot. He’s athletic. He can put the ball on the floor. He’s smart, plus he plays defense. He’s a shot blocker. And even though he’s relatively young in his professional career, as a collegiate– he left a champion. So because of all of that, he has all the requisite skills necessary. He’s humble, yet he’s fiercely competitive. I love this kid’s game. His upside is tremendous. I think New Orleans has something special in him. I think the NBA has something special in him.

I sort of agree with the great Larry Brown when he once compared this kid’s potential to that of Bill Russell. He’s got those kind of skill sets.”

Bayless (shockingly), wasn’t quite ready to say that Davis had reached “special” status yet, claiming that it’s still merely potential and that the fact that his New Orleans team didn’t make the playoffs was a sign that he wasn’t “there” yet.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

18 Comments for Anthony Davis drawing comparisons to Bill Russell

1. BlueDoug
    3:24 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I think that AD handles the ball better than Russell and I think he will become a better scorer than Russell. Whether he is able to block shots as well will be determined in time.

2. Doc
    3:31 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

wanted to place this where readers would see it
    after the big blue bahamas, my teams for 1, and 1a
    team one-1. Andrew Harrison, 2. aaron Harrison. 3. Trey lyles 4. towns 5 Dakari Johnson
    I suggest this line up since lyes has a good mid range game and Dakari and has softer shot than WCS

team two 1. ulis 2. Booker -normal spot 3. Poythress- gives balance and leadership 4. Lee 5 WCS
    This team can run and gun- ane we have 2 solid subs in addition

i posted may 4th:
    Kentucky is going to be great next year. They will be the best team we have had since the 1990s. In fact I envision this team to go 10 deep and play two starting lineups like in 1996. i would love to see five great players at the scorers table ready to enter as we are killing the other team. This is one of first times we have recruited speciality players that have a real niche to fill, Tyler ulis is the key to these recruits and one of the fastest players in the country who can shoot defend and pass. Booker is a pure shooter and will be ready to help right away and be asked at times to be our 3, instead of his normal 2. Towns is the most skilled player at 7 feet and will be able to play the 4 and open the floor up. Lyles has a great midrange game I at least 6’10″ tall. I expect him to be the forth starter as he can shoot better than Poy. My guess at this time will be the Harrisons andJohnson, with possibly lyles and Booker to start. The next two players to replace lyles and booker to start will be towns or poythress.

The only starters for sure are the Harrisons and Johnson(coming along great developing his post play ,free throws and working on his body) I think we can have a starting five that can look like last years starting five by having Lyles and Booker start. Again, towns will be really hard to keep out of the starting lineup, poythress seems like he may do better coming off the bench still and not have pressure to impress all the time.

The first five will be our deliberate team. This will be the closest to last year and more mature. The second five I see is the speed,defense and run and gun team. If the players are to be balanced out for 2 fives. Ulis will lead the charge with Marcus Lee and WCS and poythress plus a shooter like Booker or towns or even a Willis at times. If the second five is a running team this will allow for more players obviously to playing the game and more minutes to be shared. I would love to see us use the press as well.
    We have a slight shortage of the shooting small forward position. This is the only weakness on the team. This makes predicting the first line up a little more difficult as we do need one more ball handler other than Andrew Harrison to fill James Young’s spot. (Hopeful to see towns if he can handle it under pressure) It will also help to have one more shooter with aaron Harrison. In any event it’ll be great to see how it all works out.

• memphis
      3:35 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

If I’d wanted to read a novel, I would have gone to the library.

• nowicandiepeacefully
      3:44 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

wow no one cares enough to read all that

• UKfaninLou
      4:01 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

So you think if Willie Cauley-Stein comes back healthy he shouldn’t start⁉️ Crazy talk! Can’t wait to see that guy back out there!

• Haha
      4:02 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Lyles cannot play the 3.

• Tori Smelling
      5:29 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I quit reading after the first letter of the first sentence because it was not capitalized. I do not regret my decision.

That, and because I did not have knitting needles handy.

3. Tori Smelling
    3:36 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

AD needs some help in The Big Easy.

4. Steven A Fu-kin Smith
    3:39 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

You are listening to Smith’s opinion? A lil desperate? davis is awesome. i don’t need Smith to tell me.

5. Dru Down
    3:56 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Davis has almost everything going in life. Great player, fame and wealth. The only thing lacking is looks. Looks like he just got kicked in face by a donkey. Can’t have it all I guess.

• Derp
      4:32 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I bet his girlfriend is hotter than yours…

6. Chicago Chris
    3:57 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Smith is ALWAYS ready to go there.

7. But has he taken the ice bucket challenge?

8. Chaz
    5:53 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Let’s just sit on the Russell comparisons a few years and see what our own Anthony Davis can really do. Russell was born and 1934 and played through 1969. In those 30-odd years he won two collegiate championships at a school no one had known of before or since, and was a gold medal winner as the captain of the 1956 Olympic team, but he was just warming up. He then was a five time MVP in the NBA, a twelve time NBA all star and led the Celtics to eleven NBA titles. I tried to count that many, but I ran out of fingers and toes, and had to take the historians’ word for it.

Go and get it done, AD, you’re the best I’ve seen. I would love to see you match or better what Mr Russell accomplished.

• theWilkman
      10:47 am August 20, 2014 Permalink

Davis may surpass him statistically but he’ll never get 11 rings. With free agency, it is impossible for Dynasties to be built like that any more.

9. Rixter
    6:03 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Sihugo Green was picked with the first pick in the 1956 NBA draft, one spot ahead of Russell. Russell was picked second by the St Louis Hawks, then traded to Boston for Cliff Hagan and Ed McCauley.
    How’s it possible I never knew these things before today?