Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 2.17.11 PM

It was a rough afternoon for Andrew Harrison in the Orlando Summer League Championship. He missed a potential game-winning layup in regulation with only seconds remaining, drawing criticism from Greg Anthony and Twitter know-it-alls everywhere.

Here’s the play that could’ve won the tournament for Memphis:

Harrison then threw the ball away in a tie game with 10 seconds to play in overtime. To add insult to injury, Russ Smith hit the game-winner for Memphis in double OT.

Twitter is killing Andrew right now.

It may be time to panic in Memphis. harrison-memphis

Article written by Drew Franklin

76 Comments for Andrew Harrison missed a layup to win the championship and Twitter is killing him

1. LondonKnights
    2:39 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

He has played out of position for Memphis since arriving. Not sure what they expected by playing him off the ball at the 3 spot, he’s a true PG. Russ Smith will not make the roster, so they need to give Andrew a chance to run the point in Vegas (if they are going).

• caliparty
      2:48 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They are not playing him out of position. He is NOT a true PG. He can’t create for others in the half-court offense and doesn’t have the athleticism to blow by people and get to the rim. That is why he will/ would have struggled in the league because he can no longer just out muscle people and hope for fouls like he did at UK.

• LondonKnights
      3:04 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

He has played the point his entire basketball career… how can you say they aren’t playing him out of position? Just curious. Obviously, I disagree with some of the points you made.

• caliparty
      3:19 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I just see NBA point guards fitting into 2 molds. Outrageously skilled( Kyire, CP3, Curry) or Outrageously athletic (Wall, Westbrook, EBledsoe) Andrew fits neither. I guess that is my main knock on the twins. They seem to be “Good” in most if not all areas: Shooting, Athleticism, Ball skills, etc.. but to play in the NBA you have to be ELITE in at least one and I don’t see where that Elite skill is with either of them.

• LondonKnights
      4:10 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Andrew is a serviceable back up PG in the league. His size (and he’s only going to get stronger) will allow him to over power his opposite number. I agree that to be a starting PG in the league, Andrew would need to do a few more things better. I guess my expectations are lower than yours. I think he can have a long career in the NBA as a back up PG as long as he plays in a system which allows him to use his strength and size. He’s not going to blow by defenders, but he can keep a defense honest by hitting an open shot. I think he has good court vision and is a very good passer, but he needs to work on his decision making. Face it, he’s a role player at best. That said, being a role player in the NBA is enough to make life very comfortable.

6:37 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school..

2. Jus sayin
    2:54 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Beleive it or not random people on twitter don’t dint have any greater insight to roster moves than us. The fact of the matter is Andrew is playing out of position. Russ Smith is 24 he should be dominating summer league.

• Greg The Hammer Valentine
      3:22 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I go to about 5 it 6 Memphis games per year. Russ was on the team last year and is under contract for next season. He will probably make the squad as he had a very good summer.

• LondonKnights
      4:13 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Russ will never be a contributor in the NBA. He’s a scorer who can’t score at that level. Doesn’t have the size or discipline to make a team better. Keeping him is a waste of a roster spot.

6:37 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school…..

3. Mark Liptak
    2:58 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Don’t agree or use twitter but that’s beside the point. To me neither Harrison is an NBA ready player and both will probably wind up in the D-League or overseas.

They’ll make some money but not as much as they thought they were going to make.

Second round contracts aren’t guaranteed (although a team is free to do that if they wish) and the other went undrafted…maybe they should have stayed for a third year and taken their chances next year. Too late now though.

4. kevin
    3:10 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I dont think KSR should be posting out the negative twitter comments.

• Harry
      3:17 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I completely agree. Makes me angry to see all of that crappy negativity directed towards Andrew posted nonchalantly on the site.

• CardFan502
      3:28 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

The twitter responses look like the comments section here at times during the 2013-2014 season… harsh.

• Kyle
      4:48 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Cardfan502- you would know seeing that you are on a UK fan site all the time. I’m assuming UofL has one too (most schools do) but I couldn’t tell you the name of it because I’m not a Louisville fan therefore I do not care. UofL fans would rather see UK lose than to see Louisville win. Hate = fear & respect.

6:37 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school…..

5. Ant Banks
    3:28 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Anyone with eyes can see Russ Smith is better at basketball than Andrew. Smith was the best player on the Memohis summer team. If it comes down to Russ and Andrew, Andrew will be packing his bags.

• Dude
      3:34 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Louisville’s greatest players, hoping to make an NBA roster, and UofL fans trying to boast about it. LOL

#SummerLeagueChamps

6. Leuther
    3:28 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

40 and Oh, baby!

5:15 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I’ve got an imposter…

6:38 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school…..

7. cats paw
    3:36 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

This is all Cal’s fault. Wake up, people!

8. inside info2
    3:37 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Drew, I’m really surprised you would post something like this. I’m not a fan of the twins, but it is different if people are commenting like this on the site versus one of the writers POSTING something like this on the site. Did one of the twins steal your beer money on their way out of Lexington?

• Don't worry the twins are coming
      3:42 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

The twins suck, deal with it hick.

• Dude
      3:44 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

If the twins suck, and still led us to back-to-back Final Fours, and are undefeated against the Tards, I can’t wait until we get some good guards… oh wait. 😉

9. Angelo
    3:39 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

i feel sorry for the twins, but i sure wish Cal had started Ulis and Booker last year. We would have had number nine.

6:38 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school.

10. Daddy Harrison
    3:40 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Looking back on it, I should have never accepted all that money from Wes. My boys go from top 5 picks to second round and undrafted. That is what I get for being greedy.

• Daddy Harrison
      3:42 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Regardless of the fact that I own a car dealership just outside of Houston, I NEED MONEY!!!

11. BenHur
    3:47 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I think the twins are great guys, and very good basketball players, but a lot of their hype was solely from the fact that they were twins. I wish them the best though and hope they prove everyone wrong. It isn’t like these guys did something wrong; they play hard, and are trying to get the best deal they can. If that equates to career in Europe, that’s not bad people. They will still be “2%-ers” at worst.

• Dude
      3:51 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. Well said.

• Bluebloodtoo
      4:22 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

yup….

5:17 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school…

6:26 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

40 and Oh, baby!

12. asdf
    3:54 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I see both twins succeeding in playing in the NBA, but it will be short-lived.

Within three years they will both be overseas earning more money than they would have made had they become doctors, engineers or lawyers. That’s still not a bad life, y’know?

6:38 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school…

13. Bluetothebone
    3:58 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Folks as a KY fan…did we all honestly not see this coming and I am including Cal…too much shame has been put on kids like the twins for staying in schoil and getting a degree…signed, Keith Bogans and Tayshaun Prince

6:39 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Well, they should have stayed in school…

14. Browny Sugbiggy
    4:39 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

The Twins first mistake was going to UK. As much of a Coach Cal fan that I am, he has ZERO ability to actually develop people. He’s a great leader and recruiter but a mediocre coach. Why do you think we struggle to win titles with 7 NBA players on our team? The Twins were better off going to a school and developing their weakness rather than getting a false positive at UK. 2 Final Fours with UK seems like success, but that’s team success as a player you need to struggle somewhat to learn what your weaknesses are. Had they gone to Maryland they would be much better players! Anyway Aaron has been playing well and will make the Charlotte team for sure and probably play a few games in the NBA next season. Coach Cal team are for players ready to go to the NBA right away. Coach Cal can’t develop or coach well enough. UK team is filled with 7+ NBA players every year. It’s not hard to get to the final 4, I could coach them to the elite 8 at least and I’m not even a coach.

Bless up.

• BBS
      4:54 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

CAl doesn’t develop players?

WCS Ranked 40-70th coming to UK – Drafted 6th in the Draft
      Eric Bledsoe not even projected to be a 1 and done or 1st Rounder – Went 1st Rd
      DeAndre Liggins- Cal developed him enough to get him at least drafted
      Jorts: Cal developed him enough to get him drafted
      Devin Booker: Barely a top 30 recruit not even thought to be 1 and done – developed into a lottery pick

Patrick Patterson was looking at a late 2nd rd pick before Cal – with Cal, a lottery pick

So please tell me again how Calipari “doesn’t develop players”

Also – in 6 years with 1 and done players Cal has went to 4 FF, Runner Up and a Title

Lets compare the other “One and Done” coaches with Majority 1 and Done Players-

Self- 1 Runner up, 1 Final Four, (which includes a ton of 1st rd exits)
      Coach K – 1 Titles, 1 FF, 2 1st Rd Exits to a 14 and 15 seed
      Roy- Hasnt done shit since his last title (7 years)
      Sean Miller – still no final four appearance

So, of all the Main coaches Cal has been the most consistent and got the best results with an exception being made for the NIT year.

Ya know Dean Smith is considered an all time great and in his 30 year career he won 2 titles. Had all of that HOF NBA talent and won 2 titles, but went to I Believe 11 FF. It aint easy son. Its random. If it was a best of 3, thatd be one thing, but its not.

• CatsBy80
      4:55 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

How can you seriously say that they would be better if they would’ve gone to Maryland? If they would’ve gone to Maryland, they would’ve never gotten any exposure on the national stage and would’ve been swept under the rug… I’m not saying that Cal is the best coach or anything like that, but to suggest that they would’ve been better off going to Maryland is absolutely laughable.

• Browny Sugbiggy
      5:17 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

He doesn’t develop anyone.

1. WCS is a 7’1 athletic player. He would go lottery regardless if he went to UK or Pepperdine. Those kind of Deandre Jordan type players are always drafted. NBA centers just defend, dunk and block shots

2. PP was not his player.

3. DeAndre Liggins? Lol.

Parents if you want your kids to be better players in college don’t come to UK. UK is for one and dones to come for a year. AD, John Wall, Rose, Tyreke? Cal has nothing to do with their development. They would go lotto out of 11th grade. Wake up….

• Browny Sugbiggy
      5:20 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

@CatsBy80 They don’t need national exposure. It’s 2015. The internet makes everything a level playing field. Get real. Jaylen Brown went to Cal he’ll be just fine. Lillard went to Weber State he’s a beast. If you can play the NBA will find you. The twins needed one more year of college, but because Cal is a one and done camp you have to be ready for the NBA right away. Briscoe is coming. Twins had to go. I <3 Cal and I bleed blue. It's just the truth. #GOCATS

• Brian
      6:28 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Obvious Troll is trolling.

• Browny Sugbiggy
      6:36 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

@Brian how is this a troll moron? Everything I’m saying is a fact. You are just a die-hard blind fan…..

Cal develops no one……

6:36 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school….

• Brian
      6:53 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Jay Bilas, and many others who have more knowledge of the game in their little finger than you, praise Cal in his development of players. I’ll take their view as opposed to some loser Card troll such as yourself. Off to Card Chronicle aka Fantasy Land you go!

• Bbs
      7:12 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

The fact you say Willie was a 1st rounder if he went to Pepper dine is absolutely comical. You realize DeAndre Jordan went as the 25th pick in the 2nd round right? You say you spew facts but nothing you say is evidenced based at all. I can show you mock drafts prior to a player coming to UK and then draft position after and it’d support my argument. Fact is, you don’t have anything to stand on, so stfu and take this weak sauce to a Louisville board.

*drops mic*

• Browny Sugbiggy
      10:56 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

The fact that you think Cal develops anyone is very funny. Anyone could coach UK. They have 5 top 20 players every year. You think if Kaminsky went to UK he’d be in the NBA? Um no.

@Leuther They couldn’t stay. Too many one and dones every year.

@Brian Funny. So why would anyone listen to your opinion if we have the experts? That made zero sense. As if Jay Bilas is always right lol. Hush bro.

• Brian
      11:40 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

You’re right – Jay Bilas must be an idiot. Hell, all of ’em are.

If you want the troof and fax, just axe “Browny Sugbiggy”.

• Dude
      12:17 am July 11, 2015 Permalink

Because your opinion is ridiculous.

• Dude
      12:20 am July 11, 2015 Permalink

Browny Sugbiggy: “I <3 Cal and I bleed blue. It's just the truth. #GOCATS"

…Right. And I'm Santa Claus….

• Browny Sugbiggy
      3:49 pm July 11, 2015 Permalink

@Brian Totally uncalled for bro. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. What kind of comment was that man?

I apologize for speaking my opinion no need to bully and go there.

Enjoy your summer everyone.

15. Kyblue34
    4:42 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Andrew and Aaron are good kids! Their style of play just doesn’t fit the NBA. I still think they made the right decision to leave, though, as their stock isn’t going to get any higher and Ulis and Briscoe are too good to keep off the floor. If I were them I would go try to sign the best contracts that I could in Europe or Asia, which is definitely not a bad deal. They will still be making more in one year than most of us make in ten years. Who knows they might even be able to play on the same team if they want. I wish them well!

5:17 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school…

• Kyblue34
      5:50 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Why? So, they could ride the bench and waste another year from playing professional ball and making money?

• catdaddyd
      7:27 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

How about getting a degree. Probably would have it after next season, not a bad fall back plan.

16. Blue Mist
    4:57 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I remember Cal saying to the media after the season that he thought the twins were first round picks. Obviously he was just lobbying on their behalf. No way he actually believed that.

• Brian
      6:29 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Can you explain Montrezl Harrell? What about Wayne Blackshear?

17. Leuther
    6:36 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

They should have stayed in school…

18. Leuther
    7:12 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

I should have stayed in school

19. catdaddyd
    7:25 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Lillard went to Weber State he’s a beast. Lillard is horrible, shoots like 35%.

20. UK Freshmen
    8:33 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Ain’t karma a b*tch?

• Dude
      8:54 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Karma for what, exactly? Back to back Final Fours?

• Dude
      8:57 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

…or going 3-0 vs your ShitBirds?

• UK Freshmen
      8:22 am July 11, 2015 Permalink

Why is karma coming into play for the twins? It’s payback for their shi**y attitudes and racist comments. Wake up.

• Dude
      12:41 pm July 11, 2015 Permalink

Eat a dick, fagboy.

21. Duke
    9:29 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

It’s funny how upset UK fans get when someone questions their God, Cal. It seems like all you have is your trailer, pickup and UK basketball.

• CardFan502
      9:47 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

C’mon, bruh, I know a UofL fan when I see one. And you one.

• Duke
      9:55 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Nope. Not everyone who hates you is a louisville fan. I don’t know anything about them except we beat them this past year.

• Dude
      10:03 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

So, you came here for validation or something?

• Duke
      10:23 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Validation for what? I’m in my 30’s and Duke has been the better program in my lifetime. Came over here to call you an inbred hick.

• Dude
      11:37 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Stay classy. You represent your fanbase well. I’m sure Duke fans everywhere are just so proud to have you.

• Brian
      11:48 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Hmm. They have been a good program for the last 20-25 years. Too bad you just became a fan this past season. Or was it 2010?

22. Ha!
    11:53 pm July 10, 2015 Permalink

Where were all these dookie troll phags at last year? Or the year before that? Or the year before that? Or the year before that?

23. Browny Sugbiggy
    2:26 am July 11, 2015 Permalink

I apologize for speaking my opinion no need to bully and go there.

Enjoy your summer everyone.