All Eyes are on Kentucky ahead of the NBA Restart

@TownBrad

@TownBrad

This Saturday the NBA will finally restart their regular season. All the eyes of the world will be fixated on Orlando as 22 teams resume their quest to be world champions, however, it is evident the NBA players want to redirect the world’s eyes to our state of Kentucky.

One of the biggest factors ahead of the NBA restart is the players wanting to spark change with social justice issues. In the wake of the senseless killings of unarmed Black people, most notably George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Louisville’s Breonna Taylor, players have been spotted at numerous Black Lives Matter protests.

A handful of players wanted to suspend the season further or cancel it altogether in order to focus solely on these issues. But, with forward-thinking by the league and the players, they decided to raise awareness through messages like Black Lives Matter on the court of the NBA bubble and on the back of their jersey with messages sparking social change.

Now, players are specifically focusing in on Kentucky Attorney General, Daniel Cameron, calling for the arrests and charging of three Louisville police officers; Detective Brett Hankison, Jon Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove.

Those three officers shot Taylor and left her without medical attention for 20 minutes. Hankison was fired while Mattingly and Cosgrove were placed on administrative reassignment.

When the WNBA kicked off their season on Saturday, players took the court with Breonna Taylor’s name donned on the back of their uniforms. Ahead of the opener between the Seattle Storm and the New York Liberty, Layshia Clarendon and Breanna Stewart took the court to dedicate the 2020 season to Taylor.

Over to the NBA, the league has seen its biggest stars stand with Taylor. LeBron James took to Instagram a little over a week ago sharing his sentiments with a post simply saying, “Dear Breonna, I’m sorry this is taking so long.”

On Thursday, after the Lakers’ first scrimmage in the bubble, LeBron spent most of his postgame press conference bringing light to Taylor’s situation. Most notably, he wants the state of Kentucky to know that the league is with the citizens who want justice for Taylor.

Other players have taken to post-game interviews to redirect the focus from basketball to the disciplinary action of Taylor’s killers. Most notably, after the first scrimmage on Wednesday LA Clippers star Paul George used his entire post-game press conference to discuss Taylor’s death and police brutality.

“I take this time to give my condolences to the family of the Taylors, Breonna Taylor, rest in peace. George Floyd, rest in peace,” George said. “There are so many others out there that have been brutally murdered by the hands of police. That is all I got — that is my message for everyone and that will continue to be my answer.”

Former Louisville Cardinal Donavan Mitchell echoed the same sentiment.

“First, I would like to start off — guys have been saying it throughout the week, and I want to continue to spread the message — we need justice for Breonna Taylor, we all understand she was killed in her own home; you know if there’s a point where you can’t feel safe in your own home, that’s not right,” said the Jazz star.

Tobias Harris even went as far to personally call out AG Daniel Cameron for these arrests.

Countless other players have joined in with the same message: they want these officers arrested.

When the country’s eyes fall on Orlando next week, when the games matter the most and will likely see record viewing numbers, it is clear the players will continue to redirect those eyes to Kentucky for Breonna Taylor.

Article written by Brent Wainscott

Twitter: @BrentWainscott_

25 Comments for All Eyes are on Kentucky ahead of the NBA Restart

1. VilleCat11
    7:09 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

These entitled players are speaking on a situation they know nothing about but what the media is saying that drives their agenda… Literally facts dont matter to them…

• nocode96
      7:13 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

What facts are they missing? Ms. Taylor was killed by a dirty cop in her own home while she slept. They got the wrong house too. Can you not understand how that angers people?

• lexattorney
      7:58 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s a pretty cut-and-dry case and the facts have been largely undisputed so I’m not sure where you’re trying to go with this.

• Rixter
      8:20 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Except it wasn’t the wrong house. Not a lot of details have come out, but that’s one that has.
      From New York Times, July 18: “The police had been investigating two men who they believed were selling drugs out of a house that was far from Ms. Taylor’s home. But a judge had also signed a warrant allowing the police to search Ms. Taylor’s residence because the police said they believed that one of the two men had used her apartment to receive packages.”

2. VilleCat11
    7:26 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Actually her address was listed on the warrant, that’s been proven.. courier journal..

3. Good Times
    7:47 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Glad to see all of these players with all the law education and experience of our AG that have already been able to determine the proper legal outcomes of this case without any access to the evidence. Pretty impressive. How about this… given that I too don’t have access to all the facts and evidence I will withhold judgment and let the man do the job he was elected to do.

• VilleCat11
      7:48 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Seems more than fair and reasonable!!

• Rixter
      8:22 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Exactly. It’s not justice they seek, it’s vengeance.

4. lexattorney
    8:00 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure Daniel Cameron really gives 2 shits what the NBA thinks…I know I certainly don’t.

5. Rixter
    8:13 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

A lot of people watch the NBA because they enjoy the game, and the high level of athleticism.
    I just tune in for their take on social issues.

• Good Times
      8:16 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Lol, sarcasm at its finest. Well done.

6. crazycatfan65
    8:43 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

When is serving a legal lawful search warrant murder? I haven’t watched a pro football games since the racist Kapernick started his Bogus protesting in 2016. Like today, the media only reports what they want and half truths. In 2016 police killed 783 people with 47% of those being white, 24% black and 16% Latino. Never heard a peep from the left leaning media over those white killings. Also in 2016 police killed 43 unarmed people with 20 of those being whites. 16 being blacks ans 6 being Latino. Thanks to the never ending coverage from the race baiting media you can name all of those 16 unarmed blacks killed by police but how many of those unarmed whites can you name? You can’t because the media just like they do with the hourly black on black murders, they refuse to report those killing. The MSM is the real enemy of the people.

• lexattorney
      8:48 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Look I’m as anti-Marxist left as ANYBODY but if you can’t admit that what happened to Breonna Taylor, who was shot EIGHT times while SLEEPING was murder, you’re either lying or unfathomably stupid. I’m leaning toward the latter.

• Good Times
      9:27 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

I honestly hope you are not a real life attorney, given how loose with the facts you are. See the link below that helps separate truth from rumors, including the one that she was sleeping when shot.

• lexattorney
      10:33 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

As soon as I saw that it was a CJ link I dismissed everything you’re tried to assert. But, hey, at least it’s not the New York Times! Like I said, I’m as anti-left as anybody you will find but i’m not an idiot.

• lexattorney
      10:34 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

*you’re trying

• Good Times
      11:08 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t do the investigative reporting myself, so can’t 100% certify their findings, but I’ll await for your source that proves your original assertion that she was SLEEPING when she was shot.

• Good Times
      11:11 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

… or better yet, let’s wait for the ballistics evidence to come back and tell us definitively before we stand so resolute in our beliefs.

• CatsFanFrankfort
      11:43 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

So 16/43 were black. Thats roughly 37%. Yet the black population in America is closer to 13-14%. Do you not see a problem there?

• whack0001
      5:49 pm July 27, 2020 Permalink

CatsFanFrankfort- They also commit a HIGHLY disproportionate amount of crime leading to a highly disproportionate amount of run ins with the police. Do you not see the problem there?

7. VirginiaCat
    9:14 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

I used to view sports and other forms of entertainment as a welcome break from politics. So much for that. Now we can enjoy social justice messaging on basketball courts, on players’ uniforms; tune in to watch late night entertainers who use their forum for political commentary. Listen to actors as they compete to see who can be the most outspoken. All this is filtered through the lens of political correctness, of course. It’s great, really great. Gotta love group think. I can’t wait for the return of professional sports so that I can learn what I am supposed to think.

8. plumloopy
    12:47 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Don’t read the comments I said to myself. Dammit.

9. keemenfae
    3:22 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Great ddatinng site for adultss who want to fiind a partner to have sexx – http://www.kkiss.club

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:36 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I came here for a political fix and a break from sports and you post this??? STICK TA POLITICS!!! Haha.
      The s*p*a*m*m*e*r*s used to bombard the comments in the old days. Not any more, so I don’t know how these clowns got past the login.

10. whack0001
    5:43 pm July 27, 2020 Permalink

No condolences for the numerous white people that have been senselessly killed by the police? Kind of comes off as ONLY black lives matter. Maybe even, dare I say, RACIST.