6 Reasons why the Anthony Davis Trade to the Lakers is Awesome

Andrew D. Bernstein | Getty Images

Andrew D. Bernstein | Getty Images

The biggest story of the offseason wrapped up just two days after the conclusion of the NBA Finals. Anthony Davis has been traded to the Los Angeles Lakers. A move months in the making, it’s going to be great for the Unibrow’s career, and in turn, the Big Blue Nation.

1. It’s the Lakers

Hate them or love them, the Lakers are the most influential franchise the NBA. The storied franchise dominates the conversation around the league. In turn, they’re on TV all the time. The BBN won’t need League Pass to watch AD go to work at least once a week.

2. Davis and LeBron

All of the NBA greats have running mates. MJ had Pippen. Kobe had Shaq. There was Stockton and Malone, Duncan, Parker and Ginobli. The list goes on and on. Throughout LeBron James’ career, he’s had a rotating cast of characters, from Kevin Love and Kyrie to Chris Bosh and D-Wade. It’s a talented crew, but Davis could be the best of the best. Obviously, he has a long way to go to create a comparable resume, but the potential is there, thanks to a few other pieces in place.

3. The Lakers Kept Kuzma

There were two players that the Lakers could not trade — LeBron and Kyle Kuzma. By throwing the Pelicans almost every other asset, they were able to hold onto a rising young star who is their most consistent backcourt threat.

4. Hollywood AD

We’ve already seen him in a few commercials, but that’s incomparable to what Hollywood will do to AD’s brand. It’s already starting.

5. No More Warriors

Thanks to Kawhi Leonard and a couple of untimely injuries, the Warriors’ dynasty is dead. With essentially just Draymond Green and Steph Curry back in 2019-20, the Lakers are now the 9-2 favorites to win the Finals.

6. Davis is the Future of the Lakers

LeBron James will turn 35 in December. Best case scenario, he has three more years of elite basketball left in the tank. AD will carry the workload in LeBron’s waning years. Davis plans on signing an extension following next season, setting him up to receive the torch from LeBron and be the face (or eyebrow) of the Los Angeles Lakers.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

57 Comments for 6 Reasons why the Anthony Davis Trade to the Lakers is Awesome

1. jytruebluefan
    7:49 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

I hate this trade for the NBA. Tired of players and their agents having the control of GMs. Lebron ruined the NBA years ago with the decision and hasn’t been the same since. The problem isn’t super teams it’s player control. It’s ridiculous. The NBA is a joke.

• DelrayCat
      8:09 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Oh the irony. Look at the pre-season rankings for college basketball next year. All the same schools…year after year. Same thing. The best players want to play with the best players for the best programs. Sure, if it is your team it is great. But many would say college basketball is a joke too.

• jytruebluefan
      1:56 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

The difference is coaches are recruiting the best players to play at there school with little influence from other players. The NBA used to be a GM run league and now it’s a player one. I’m sick of the players having all control. No loyalty, no pride to get better and compete. Now there are about 3-4 good teams a year where there could be 10 that legit are good.

• j4stone
      8:57 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

How is this not considered collusion?

• MadHatter
      11:17 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

It’s only considered collusion by the media if it involves Trump lol

• Soylentbeans
      4:50 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Was happening long before lebron. Kobe and shaq did it in the early 2000s. Ray allen, KD,and pp in the late 2000s. They brought Rodman In to the bulls in the mid 90s. That’s not even going back to the 70s.

• stunninsteve
      2:01 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, Delray cutting on every comment here that doesn’t line up with his point of view speaks volumes about him, too. So keep taking that self-righteous slant, Del. You’re letting your insecurities show.

• unbridled
      10:37 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

The biggest reason this trade is so terrible is the insufferable stooge called Bron Bron.

2. BlueByYou
    7:55 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Even with all the UK NBA players, I just cannot watch the Not Basketball Association. No fun at all.

• DelrayCat
      8:17 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

You missed some great playoffs then. My guess is you watched at least some of it, but just wanted to whine about something here. The NBA contains the best in the world, playing at an unbelievable level….so to call that “not” basketball makes me wonder what you think is? Maybe you’re like my uncle who loves high school girls basketball here in KY. He claims their fundamentals are far superior to the NBA…lol.

• kydrummer
      6:10 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Agree, this year’s playoff was very balanced and fun to watch.

• Catmas15
      8:22 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

This years playoffs where fun cause it wasn’t a Lebron lovefest!

• BlueByYou
      8:31 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Not whining, just my opinion, and did not watch one single second. I understand people like it or there would not be as many viewers. Just stating it is not for me. Don’t watch soccer either so I am not ‘whining’ about that either. To each his own.

• unbridled
      10:39 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

I can’t watch the nba because of LeBron James. Guy is a clown. Good at basketball…yes, but he’s also a remarkably annoying individual

3. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    7:57 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Davis convinces Lebrons son to goto Kentucky and win a ship like he did?

4. 4everUKblue
    7:58 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

I hope AD wins a championship…..after Bron retires.

• DelrayCat
      8:27 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

That’s a dumb take. Seems he stands a better chance to win paired with one of the greatest of all time than without. And Lebron has more left in the tank than people think.

• mashman 93
      8:32 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

He as an opinion and you think it’s dumb? Ok whatever.

• 4everUKblue
      8:30 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Nothing dumb about my hoping Bron doesn’t win another championship. I don’t like him, I hope AD wins at least one after Bron retires. Your’s is a dumb take as usual.

• mashman 93
      10:24 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m sick of LeBron and tired of the NBA. The playoffs are to long.

• DelrayCat
      8:34 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

So you openly root for others to fail, rather than hoping for a guy you like to succeed? Says more about you than me.

• 4everUKblue
      11:21 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

LeBron proclaimed himself the greatest of all time after he said he won the Cavs a championship (not his team). Best I remember it was Kyrie who hit the game winner for the title. How many rings would LeBron have if not for jumping from team to team? You rooting for a selfish egomaniac like LeBron speaks volumes about you Delray, as do most of your comments.

• Cokely53
      9:36 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Not Lebrons team? Kyrie hits one shot so it’s his team? You should probably never speak again unless you like looking stupid. Which based on your other comments you do. Just because you hate Lebron doesn’t mean you need to look dumb as well by making blasphemous claims.

• unbridled
      10:43 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

I definitely hope Bron Bron fails. He’s a clown. That’s a phenomenal take 4everukblue. It would be perfect irony for AD to win a championship after we are relieved of that stooge.

• unbridled
      10:45 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Cokely…..you might want to do a bit of self reflection yourself. I don’t think anyone is going to mistake you for being very bright.

• Cokely53
      1:38 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

Just because you make a second screen name and back up your own posts doesn’t make you any smarter. It’s pathetic

• 4everUKblue
      12:06 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

Thank you unbridled, Cokely totally missed the point that LeBron took all the credit while giving teammates none AND in LeBron’s mind that gave him the right to proclaim himself as the greatest of all time.

5. UKinMKY
    8:08 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

The warriors dynasty is going dormant for a year. Good chance KD resigns along with Klay, and neither one of them rely exclusively on the athleticism they’ll lose.

• ky1988
      10:21 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Even if clay and KD come back with golden state they both will be out all of next season.

• UKinMKY
      11:28 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Uh, yeah, that’s my point dude. Read closer, I said dormant for a year.

• Cokely53
      9:36 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

They won’t be able to afford them after next year. It’s DONE

6. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    8:17 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Not a good trade for AD, the Pelicans, or the NBA. Overall terrible.

• binarysolo
      10:26 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Hmmm… Davis literally requested to be traded to the Lakers, Pelicans get back a core of young players AND 3 first round picks, and the NBA gets two superstars in one of the top tv markets in the country just as Golden State’s star is fading. Actually overall it’s great for everyone involved.

Now if you wanted Davis to be stuck on a team that couldn’t put a decent team around him in 7 years, for the Pelicans to have Davis on their roster who didn’t want to be there, and the NBA to not have a splashy trade in *Hollywood* then that’s entirely your problem.

7. mashman 93
    8:30 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Don’t care much for the NBA but this will peak my interest a little. Still like college basketball better and it does seem like the NBA season never ends.

• j4stone
      8:56 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

I absolutely hate the Lakers. I hope he does well, but I hope the lakers continue to suck.

• unbridled
      10:47 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

I hate Bron Bron

8. StuckinLville
    9:03 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Why does everyone think this trade is bad? The pelicans get a bunch of young guys and the lakers didn’t have to trade all their players. I would think the fact LaVar Ball is probably crying and pissed his son got traded makes it worth while.

9. Commissionersteele
    9:04 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Its terrible! No matter what you guys say
    Omg the Lakers!?!?!?!?

10. nocode96
    9:14 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Anyone that thinks this makes the Lakers the favorites makes me question their basketball bona fides. Even if they sign another max superstar, which they can and likely will, 3 superstars and Kyle Kuzma aren’t going to beat a lot of teams over 7 games. I love AD, am indifferent to the Lakers, and even though I’m an MJ guy, I still like LBJ a lot, but to pencil them in right now is a little dumb.

11. UKBigBlueForever
    9:15 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Why does everyone hate the Lakers so much?

• StuckinLville
      10:31 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Same reason people always hate on the Yankees, Patroits, and us. Success brings haters.

• Park
      2:15 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Lakers haven’t had “success” is quite a while. They are currently run as poorly as the Pelicans have been the past 7 years.

• 4everUKblue
      7:01 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

I don’t hate the Lakers, I just don’t like LeBron for reasons I stated above.

• unbridled
      10:49 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Because of that A-clown Bron Bron. Pretty simple really.

• ClutchCargo
      12:21 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

Stuck, I would say people hate the Lakers for the same reason they hate the Cowboys. I’m not a Cowboys fan or hater, but I get why people don’t love “America’s Team.” Not a lot of recent success, but all the arrogance.

12. TOMCATS1990
    9:35 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

My question who is wearing 23 next season?

• binarysolo
      10:28 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Mid-90s Cedric Ceballos

13. njcat54
    9:46 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Great to finally get to see AD be at the center of the universe in the NBA. Aside from Derek Rose, non of Cal’s players have ever been at a franchise in the spotlight. Cousins was this year for a few games but really didn’t end up being much of a factor.

Would love to see a KY players lead a team to a chip.

14. Swizzle
    10:10 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

Hate em

15. binarysolo
    10:31 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

@Roush You referred to Kuzma as the Lakers’ “most consistent backcourt threat.” For the record the dude is a forward.

• [email protected]
      11:01 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

I grew up a Boston Celtic fan and loved the rivalry between the Lakers and Celts … even though I root against the Lakers I never hated the players they had over the years and they had some the Greatest I believe Davis will become one of the Greatest barring he goes injury free the rest of his career … Something no one has mentioned is one of my favorite point guards ever to wear UK uniform and that’s Rajon Rondo don’t forget he is one of the best when he isn’t injured and I believe he’s going to have his best year since he was at Boston … so count me a fan of the Lakers but the Celts will always be my NBA team but no one and I mean no one Tops My Kentucky Wildcats

16. [email protected]
    11:02 pm June 15, 2019 Permalink

17. dctawk
    2:11 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

I like Olympic curling.

18. SGD
    11:05 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Can’t stand the Lakers or LeBron.

19. ukisgr8
    11:41 am June 16, 2019 Permalink

Kuzma is a pf. Will hardly help in the back court. They need a pg and sg, primarily for defense

20. ukisgr8
    12:48 pm June 16, 2019 Permalink

They don’t have rondo unless he re-signs and Lebrun should and will play sf or pf at this point of his career