Zion Williamson’s announcement will go head-to-head with UK/Florida

The timing of Zion Williamson’s announcement is a big source of speculation, and after a little digging, I’ve discovered that it will go head-to-head with Kentucky’s game vs. Florida on ESPN’s networks.

An ESPN representative tells me Zion’s announcement will be televised at 8:15 p.m. on SportsCenter on ESPN2. Previously, it was scheduled for 8 p.m., leaving open the possibility that it would be shown on the 15-minute College GameDay lead in to Kentucky vs. Florida on ESPN, but that will not be the case. The announcement will take place at Zion’s high school, Spartanburg Day School, and will be followed by a breakdown of the decision by ESPN recruiting insider Jeff Borzello and SportsCenter anchors Zubin Mehenti and Kevin Connors.

What does this mean? The fact that the announcement is taking place at the SAME time as tip off of Kentucky/Florida on a different network rather than 15 minutes before tip on the same network feels like bad news to me; however, perhaps ESPN didn’t want to sandwich the announcement into such a small time frame, especially when they can eat up time on SportsCenter with analysis, etc.

Also of note: Kentucky is the only team on Zion’s list whose schedule conflicts with the announcement. North Carolina plays at 2 p.m.; Duke and Clemson at 4 p.m.; and Kansas and South Carolina at 6 p.m. With almost every recruiting analyst predicting Zion to pick Clemson — although none guaranteeing it — this certainly doesn’t seem like good news for Kentucky.

Or, it could mean nothing at all. Luckily, we’ll find out tomorrow.

[mobile_ad]

70 Comments for Zion Williamson’s announcement will go head-to-head with UK/Florida

1. Willis talkin bout....
    1:43 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

He is a tremendous talent and seems like a good kid. Obviously I hope he picks UK, but honestly I don’t much care anymore. Hopefully he makes the choice that is best for him and all the fans from all the schools will respect it.

2. meeksfor3
    1:46 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

I think he is a good player but honestly those mix tapes could make me look like a 45 year old White Chocolate. Until he steps on the floor against other grown men who knows how good he will be.

3. DT in DC
    1:47 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Sad trombone.

4. BigBlueMeade
    1:47 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

The “analysis” worries me. If he picks UK or Duke or UNC you don’t really need analysis. He made the best decision for himself. Picks Clemson…then you ask well “why?” Worried we are not getting him.

5. mapcatfan
    1:49 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Hadn’t planned on watching it regardless. As soon as I heard Matt say a couple of weeks ago that the people in Lex didn’t feel very good about it, I figured it was over. Added to the fact it’s rumored that his mom wants him close to home, and the announcement is on her birthday? Imo, (which means nothing), it was pretty much time to accept it and move on.

6. mrknowitall1981
    1:54 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

He gone!

7. GTx2
    1:54 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Good luck at Clemson buddy.

8. Ukgrad2006
    1:58 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Picture this….

It’s halftime of the UK game, there is an announcement made in Rupp that a special guest will be doing the “Y”

Enter: Zion Williamson

The place erupts

• johnwall
      3:18 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

We storm the court, then go on to beat Florida by 30. What a day

• Ukgrad2006
      4:51 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

I agree John!!!!!

• 4everUKblue
      9:03 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

We don’t storm the court at Kentucky.

9. Marks
    1:59 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Well I think that seals our fate. Almost everything was leaning Clemson and now this. Announcement

when most of BBN will be watching the game will help deflect some of the initial reaction (venom).

Smart move on his part.

Hope I’m wrong but doesn’t look good.

• Rembrandt
      2:55 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Do you actually believe Zion is so worried about the reaction of UK fans that he scheduled his announcement for that reason?

• johnwall
      3:19 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

We’re BBN, not BB20k fans inside of Rupp

10. BBNDan7
    2:01 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Lol this has nothing to do with anything. ESPN could’ve easily told him if he wants it on their network it had to be ESPN 2 and at a certain time they had available. Y’all read way too much into this stuff

• Bobbum Man
      3:05 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Right lol, I’m guessing this is a lot more about ESPN then it is Zion

• BBNDan7
      6:09 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Had this been a day like a Tuesday where college gamday and other big games weren’t on then maybe it’s a bad sign, but ESPN can’t just not cover a game so he can announce lol

11. Daddyof3Ballers
    2:03 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Great athlete, but he’s a 6-5 PF that can’t shoot. Granted, I will take him but I would rather have James Wiseman reclassify or Moses Brown

• BBNDan7
      2:07 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

He’s a 6’5” SF with an average shot. Y’all will find anyway to talk bad about a kid

• Mc12
      2:55 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

I’d rather have Wiseman if he reclassified, but no way that I’d rather have Moses Brown. Williamson is 6’5 o 6’6. He’s a SF that many teams could attempt to use as a point forward. He can handle the ball well, is a good passer, and has an improving shot. To me he’s Lebron mixed with Julius Randle and Draymond Green. He’s got some of the same skills as Lebron, but not at that level obviously.

My only concern with him is I think he may end up a better pro than a college player as he may get in foul trouble a lot. However, if he stays in shape he’ll be fun to watch. It won’t be for Kentucky, but I’m starting to like PJ Washington a little so I’m good if he returns. I would like a rim protector, and maybe that’s why you’d prefer Brown, but you have to wonder why he doesn’t have a scholarship offer this late in the game.

• johnwall
      3:20 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Id rather have PJ and Vanderbilt back. Moses Brown might be a bigger project than Richards

• dballrb
      4:55 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Wiseman won’t reclassify,Moses Brown..I don’t know enough about the kid,except he sounds like he’s waiting for Cal to offer him and no joy as of now. .

12. Underdog
    2:05 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

If he were committing to UK, you would expect him to maximize exposure to BBN. Meaning, he wouldn’t be announcing DURING a UK game. He’d be announcing pretty much any time that wasn’t during a UK basketball game, right?

Clemson plays from 4 to 6 pm tomorrow. So an 8:15 announcement fits them just fine.

In fact, since Clemson plays at home, that would give time to Clemson coaches and/or fans to travel to be in person at the actual announcement.

His mom’s birthday is the clincher.

Of course, as a UK fan, we’d argue that announcing for UK would mean he’d likely make an extra million dollars a year (due to the benefits UK would bring to the table), so that’s a nice “Happy Birthday Mom!” present.

It’s easy to read between the lines on this one. He gone.

Another recruiting loss for UK. Kind of a bummer. He would have really hyped up next year’s team.

I wonder what the phone conversation has been between Calipari and Zion lately?

• johnwall
      3:21 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Dude, Kevin Knox announced during the KENTUCKY DERBY!!! And had no idea it was going on. You, just like everyone else, has no idea this guys intentions or what he has going on in his mind

• dballrb
      5:58 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

???

• wyatts1
      8:14 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

His mom’s birthday is what convinced me he was staying at home since her pick was Clemson and it’s his dad’s old college, but oh well, I’d love to see him with us but if not then good luck to the kid. Also John wall you gotta admit that if he wasn’t going to come to uk then all the waiting around and not narrowing his choices down was kinda a drama queen move. Kinda right lol

13. Ukgrad2006
    2:16 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

He’s going to Duke

14. 2Dogs
    2:30 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Get it over with. I haven’t seen this much hype since Y2K.

• Mc12
      2:58 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Your comment made me realize that Williamson wasn’t even born for Y2K. Now I feel old.

15. AFR0_SAMURAii
    2:34 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

When’s the last time cal sealed the deal with the #1 prospect? KAT I believe.. he’s lost his touch and the fire is down to embers

• Ukgrad2006
      2:52 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

I hate to say it but I agree. I think Cal has lost his touch.

Maybe he’ll start caring about winning championships again.

• Rembrandt
      2:56 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Unbelievable how spoiled our fans have become.

• johnwall
      3:22 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

AFRO im suprised Zion being the #2 recruit is good enough for your expectations. Get real

• catsarerunnin
      4:49 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Omg! Cal has lost his touch! I’m locking myself in a bomb shelter!

• AFR0_SAMURAii
      6:21 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

We’ve won 1 title in 9 years since he’s got here with top recruits, with the talent we’ve had we should have 3-4 under cal

• catsarerunnin
      8:26 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Then become a Kansas fan. Oh wait….

• 4everUKblue
      9:06 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Imagine how dUKe fans felt last year with all that talent and South Carolina thrashed them….in the sweet 16.

• Cletis75
      12:14 am January 20, 2018 Permalink

Jahlil okafor was the number 1 recruit the year KAT came to UK. KAT was actually ranked around #10 by most recruiting services when he committed.

16. John Henry
    2:36 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Let’s move past this so we can find another “can’t miss, superstar one and done we can hype and message boards can get thousands of hits and string out with months of speculation and predictions. So who is the next big stud that is a heavy lean for Kentucky Matt or Drew can guarantee is UK bound just like Zion was last summer.

17. KentuckyBoy
    2:39 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

So, does this mean Jai Lucas is off the table too? WORST DAY EVER!

18. Halfway 2 BioHazard
    2:45 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

He should go to Clemson and be THE man. Let’s face it, UK feels wrong lately.

• Rembrandt
      2:57 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

What in the world is that supposed to mean? Speak for yourself.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      3:05 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

UK doesn’t feel wrong. It’s just that everyone has caught on to the one-and-done craze. People wouldn’t and couldn’t recruit against Cal’s pitch. Then Duke won a championship with predominantly one-and-done players to prove that Kentucky’s wasn’t a fluke and other major programs could recreate that success. Then Ben Simmons went to LSU and Markel Fultz went to Washington. They proved you didn’t need to play for a great (or even good) basketball program to get drafted first overall. The appeal of coming to UK and playing for Cal has worn off. Yes, we still are getting the top classes, but we aren’t getting the number 1 or 2 player anymore. Maybe every 4 or 5 years we will. But not every year like it seemed for a while. I hope he comes to UK too, but I’d say the chances are very slim. They were slim with Kevin Knox too…

• J-Dub421
      3:37 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Filz is an advertisement for why a player should go to UK. He played for a terrible college team that only won 9 games, sat home and watched the NCAA tournament from his couch, got drafted #1 but looks like hot garbage in the NBA because he went to a terrible college program and didn’t develop at all.

• J-Dub421
      3:38 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Fulz. I hate it when I see the typo I made right after I click post.

• dballrb
      6:13 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Still misspelled it..

• callitlikeiseeit
      4:51 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Jdub…Wash also had another freshman player, Chriss, go high in the lottery tand he was not even an NBA consideration from High School. He went to the Suns and is doing ok so must have developed ok at UW. Also Fultz is injured.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      5:12 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Fulz had a freak injury. He’s gonna be great. He just has to get healthy. Seems to be the case with every high draft pick in recent memory for the sixers. They miss their first or second season.

19. jahanc2uky
    2:57 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Keldon Johnson is better!

20. UK Fan In Nashville
    2:58 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

He’s going to commit to Clemson, unless he doesn’t.

• johnwall
      3:24 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

This i cannot argue with

• catsarerunnin
      4:50 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Or he may commit to UK or someplace else.

21. markshane
    3:01 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

my opinion- he is not choosing UK. I think Trae Young has generated some backlash for Cal. I can see the entitled group of superstars who need the ball being swayed away from UK. It worked for quite a run but some of them are looking at Trae Young. Cal’s pitch- play for each other, not getting the most shots- Anthony Davis, etc is not attractive to some.

• johnwall
      3:24 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Is Zions play anything close to Trae’s?

• UK Fan In Nashville
      5:15 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Trae will be a footnote compared to Zion. He is once in a generation and I’m happy for Clemson to get him. Maybe they’ll be able to beat Carolina on the road.

22. Duff86
    3:04 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Trae had a pretty bad look over the weekend when OK was run out of the gym. Think he tied or set a new record for turnovers.

23. TB112162
    3:28 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Duff 86 you are correct he made 12 turnovers and leads the country in turnovers The funny thing is the people in this site that are bashing Diallo for being selfish would have a field day with Young

• callitlikeiseeit
      4:47 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

But he also leads the country in points and assist, which Diallo is not close to. Also he shoots a pretty good % from the line, 3 and regular fg. I think he could have done more here as we have better, although young, talent overall than OU does so he would not be the only focus of the opposing D like he is now. If you play OU he is all you have to worry about and plan for, would not have been the case here.

• dballrb
      6:12 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Right on..Who recalls when David Robinson was with Navy,they were ranked high and he was dropping pistol Pete like numbers. They came to Rupp,and Robinson got like 50pts or close to it,but Navy still lost to a weaker Kentucky team..Point being,Let Young get his,but stop everything else OK does and they lose..

• runningunnin.454
      7:41 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

True dballrb…Rupp always said “Let Maravich have his, stop everybody else, and we win. He was always right…I think it worked against Austin Carr of Notre Dame, too.

24. KYcats11
    3:37 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Something like this happened last year. Knox decided on derby, so even the people giving us a chance in the first place wrote us off.

25. ClutchCargo
    3:58 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

I hope we get him. If not, and if he picks Clemson just because it’s close to home or some other silly reason, he might not be a good fit for UK. I think we’re good either way.

26. dballrb
    4:50 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

South Carolina my friends. S.C. is Zion’s pick..Playing against kentucky next year, probably will be a monster game #s wise for him and being the home state hero.In my mind,SC makes perfect sense.MAYBE B.B.becomes eligible to play…Perfect storm,perfect fit for him..As long as NO school in North Carolina gets a commit from Z,…It’ll be a win.

27. dballrb
    5:03 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Our weakness is toughness in the paint..Why anyone would say Z is to short,slow,not tough enough is absolutely mystifying to me..Big Z is a must for any team needing “toughness”…6’5″-6’6” wouldn’t matter,Smaller version of Boogie is who he is..Outside shooting comes around next year,big body(s) in the paint..Would be a fun year..Make the best choice for you big guy!!

28. runningunnin.454
    7:42 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

I think he’s leaning toward USC Upstate.

29. wes720
    8:15 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

We get Williamson and I? like my team. We don’t get Williamson I? still like my team. Go cats whoever they may be!

30. ebow1
    8:41 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

Kevin Knox expert picks had him 87% to duke. Jus sayin!!! Keep hope alive!!!!

31. Slate
    4:38 am January 20, 2018 Permalink

He will commit to UK, mark it down.