Zack Geoghegan is KSR’s new Recruiting Reporter

Kentucky Sports Radio just keeps on growing. I am thrilled to announce that Zack Geoghegan has been promoted to recruiting reporter, becoming our fifth full-time writer.

Zack first came on board over three years ago as a college intern and quickly found his niche, covering Kentucky Basketball’s pros in his daily “BBNBA” posts. From there, he took over the women’s basketball beat, shining a much-needed light on a program on the rise. Over the past year, Zack has worked extensively to provide the best Kentucky WBB coverage out there, bringing readers in-depth and engaging profiles on National Player of the Year candidate Rhyne Howard and former Cat Jaida Roper and future stars like freshman Treasure Hunt and 2021 guard Jada Walker. He also took on the role of assistant editor, managing the site on Sundays and various weeknights, and found his voice in the podcast world, appearing on “The Macks” and “Kentucky Roundball Roundup.” As part of his new role, he will join Jack Pilgrim’s popular “Sources Say” podcast once a week to provide updates on the next generation of Cats.

Starting tomorrow, Zack will focus on basketball and football recruiting, interviewing prospects, developing relationships, and traveling to events (once it is safe to do so). This move will allow Nick Roush, our football beat writer, to turn all of his attention to what could be a historic season for Mark Stoops’ squad and Jack to transition to basketball beat writer, a time-consuming and demanding role. Over the years, KSR’s recruiting coverage has grown tremendously through hard work by all of our writers, and by bringing someone on to focus solely on the beat, we can take a major step forward.

As the men’s and women’s teams finish their seasons, the next month will be one of transition. Grant Grubbs will be taking over women’s basketball coverage, but Zack will follow Kyra Elzy’s squad in the SEC and NCAA Tournaments. After his hard work the past few years, it’s only right that he gets to be there to watch the ladies cut down the nets in San Antonio.

This is a difficult time in the sports media industry, so the fact that KSR continues to grow is truly a blessing. Thank you all for reading, and stay tuned for more exciting things to come. Congrats, Zack!

25 Comments for Zack Geoghegan is KSR’s new Recruiting Reporter

1. mashman 93
    8:14 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Congratulations Zack!!! Look forward to hearing about recruiting and future Cats in some instances. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

2. Ryan Lemonds Toupee
    8:19 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Can he spell correctly?

3. sram
    8:19 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Appreciate Zacks coverage of Womens recruiting, almost no one does that!

4. Smyrna_Cat
    8:58 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Always liked his BBNBA post. Thank you for those.

5. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    9:07 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Why didn’t BTI get the job……..oh yeah never mind.

• blueblood80
      8:01 am February 15, 2021 Permalink

Something happen with BTI?

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      9:04 pm February 15, 2021 Permalink

I was being a smart a$$ because they basically only keep him around so everyone else looks good.

6. Gogh Big Bleu
    9:09 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

May I ask how to pronounce his last name?

• Zack Geoghegan
      9:12 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Best way I can describe it is to say it like Gay-Gen.

• Gogh Big Bleu
      10:15 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Thanks, Zack!

I appreciate what you do and am looking forward to reading more of your work.

• Blue Jesus
      10:02 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

That’s not what I would’ve guessed!

7. runningunnin.454
    9:22 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Here’s an idea for his 1st endeavor. Jeff Sheppard has said that UK has reached out to Reed through his high school coach. It would seem they can’t contact recruits directly until June 15 after their soph season.
    However UK coaches have only said “they are aware of Reed and what he’s doing”. That’s nice.
    Evidently coaches can extend offers, though, because Reed has offers from Iowa, South Alabama, High Point, and Stetson.
    Maybe Zack can call Cal, and ask him why he hasn’t offered?

• peaches76
      11:39 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, that would be a really smart thing to do. And I don’t think he can comment on recruits until they are signed anyway.

• runningunnin.454
      8:21 am February 15, 2021 Permalink

Maybe he can’t comment; but, never too early to offer the scholarship is it? After all, Cal has already offered one 2023 recruit, Bronny James; of course, Cal extended that scholarship when Bronny was ten years old.
      Shame UK couldn’t offer a double legacy recruit first; couldn’t even be the first power 5 school…that honor goes to Iowa.

8. AppreciateTheCall
    10:34 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Congrats young man! You do good work and I’m glad to see it paying off for you. Keep it up!

9. Duuuuuude
    11:34 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

I am sure you will do a nice job Zach and congratulations. I would just hope that you can find a balance in your writing that allows the fans to have realistic expectations of the players we are recruiting. It does neither the fans or the players any favor to start out with such high expectations that some of the players enter UK with. They may eventually turn into a super star, but most are very raw when they get here. A lot of the problem the fans have right now is that they were sold on this class being super stars. You have a tough job! Good luck to you!

• ukyelecteng
      11:44 pm February 14, 2021 Permalink

Completely agree. Never helps to overhype (as ksr so often does). Under promise and over deliver zack and you will do well with this fan base

• chardun20
      1:36 am February 15, 2021 Permalink

5 star kids should have some expectations, but not be the end all saviors. What I don’t understand is the hatred by some UK fans when the kid is not as good they hoped. Then some UK fans get mad when kids leave early. Why would they want to stay with the hatred they get. I’m 50, I’ve been a UK fan since I was 8 years old, there is no way I would send my 5 star kid to UK if I had one.

• stx1968
      2:48 am February 15, 2021 Permalink

You nailed it. There is an entire economy built around hyping up Kentucky basketball recruits for the fans, and KSR is right in the center of it. They’ve started applying the same business strategy to football, seemingly before we really get to that point as a program. I don’t think doubling down on Rousch’s blue tinted glasses coverage is going to help that situation.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      7:29 am February 15, 2021 Permalink

Chardun, I don’t know many fans that get mad at the kids for not being as good as advertised. I think the frustration happens when the player, their family, or Cal act like the player is much better than they are and we see the reality. I don’t know a single person that bashes Alex Poythress for not becoming a superstar. Because he stayed until it was time to go.

10. stx1968
    2:45 am February 15, 2021 Permalink

Awesome, I was hoping Rousch could work full time as a fluffer for Mark Stoops this season. We didn’t get enough wildly overhyped stories on that program last year.

• EdC
      8:02 pm February 15, 2021 Permalink

I am so glad I didn’t have a mouth full of water when I read this.

11. blueblood80
    8:23 am February 15, 2021 Permalink

What happened with BTI?

• ClutchCargo
      9:45 am February 15, 2021 Permalink

I think that was just a shot at BTI. Pretty sure he is still around.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      9:07 pm February 15, 2021 Permalink

Yeah BTI has been around forever and has a very mixed reputation, new kid shows up, writes better than him and gets a promotion, so to speak.