Your move, Jaylen Brown

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 4.55.18 PM

Only one elite player remains in the 2015 recruiting class and Kentucky is on his final list of five schools. Of course, I’m talking about Jaylen Brown, the five-star wing, who is down to Kansas, Michigan, California, North Carolina and the Cats.

However, if you’re a big believer in 247Sports’ Crystal Ball predictions, give up on Brown-to-Kentucky now. Of the 19 new predictions this week, all 19 are for Michigan, giving the Wolverines an overwhelming lead. Seemingly all of the latest internet speak points to Brown to Ann Arbor, whenever he decides.

But it’s been a bizarre spring and Brown has been incredibly quiet about his recruitment, so nothing will come as a surprise. We’re talking about the guy who said he will only go to an Adidas school, no matter what, and now his final list has three Nike schools to Adidas’ two. He’s unpredictable. (Although, Michigan being an Adidas school only helps its chances.)

Brown still hasn’t set an exact date for his announcement, but with all of his fellow elite talents off the board, there is no longer a reason to wait to see how things play out. His decision should come soon and whatever school he chooses will be getting a dynamic scorer on the wing, exactly what UK needs fill out the roster.

Please. Pick. Kentucky.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Your move, Jaylen Brown

1. bigabes4uk
    5:20 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

OK- seriously- at this point if we don’t get this kid I’m really going to start buying the conspiracy theories. Come on guys- we HAVE NO WING!! (or at least anyone with close to his skills to play it) He will start and play immediately and complete our team. We become one of the odds on favorites to win it all with his commit- all the while he is getting the exposure and the advancement in his game he needs for the next level.

Isn’t this a no brainer? Am I just being biased because I think my team’s program is tops anyways? Something has to be happening behind the scenes out there…this is just getting ridiculous.

2. Kyblue34
    5:36 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

He is basically the last elite player left. If we can somehow get him, then we should be right up there as a contender next year. If not, then expectations for next year will need to be tempered quite a bit.

• CatBlue in LR
      6:52 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

I would call Murray elite, if he reclassifies. He’s still available, right? Or did I miss something?

• Kyblue34
      8:31 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

If Murray decides to visit, then yes. Right now there is no evidence that he will do so or is even considering UK.

3. bosshogg24
    5:41 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

Cheick Diallo is Elite also top 6 or 7 where do you guys come up with this? Better chance with Diallo than with Brown!

• Kyblue34
      5:48 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

Diallo committed to Kansas.

4. WCS15UK
    5:43 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

Brown ain’t coming, don’t get your hopes on. Looks like either the Charlotte guy or Shaun Kirk and that’s that

5. plumloopy
    6:07 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

7 leave and we get NO new elites as a result. WTF. Backlash by recruits who don’t want to be seen as followers? In reaching here. Felt way better this time last year…

6. plumloopy
    6:13 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

Other fanbases have to delighted at our indignance and confusion.

7. BigBluSoTru
    6:20 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

Who cares about him we have Mulder now.

8. BigBluSoTru
    6:21 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

Cal signed the best JUCO out their every program wanted this kid and guess who targeted him and gotem CAL baby.

• Kyblue34
      6:52 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

What??? He may or may not be the best JUCO, but the only other top program that wanted him was Wichita St.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:06 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

He also got the #1 center in the country, the #1 PG in the country, and still has another fantastic, experienced PG in Ulis, a McDAA SF/PF in Poythress in his senior year, a McDAA in Marcus Lee, and several others.

Reminder: no other school loaded up this recruiting class, either.
      “I like my team”

9. RexRox
    6:24 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

What have I missed with Thon Maker the past few days? Not hearing anything about him…did he commit? Isn’t he considered elite?

• TurnerTheBurner
      6:38 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

Matt mentioned today that UK and Duke have cooled on him.

10. shelby
    6:47 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

I honestly think the “platooning” system hurt us this year – while UK’s players were getting half the minutes players at other schools were getting – those other schools were pointing at us and saying – “see, you wanna play 35 minutes a game, or 20 minutes a game?”
    I still like our roster next year though:
    backcourt of Ullis, Briscoe (both outstanding) being backed up by Hawkins and Matthews (under the radar kid that can really play); Poythress, Lee, and Willis at the 3/4/5, Skal at the 4/5 (Skal is the absolute BEST player I saw in all the all-star games; he is very very special). Add a knockdown shooter in Mulder, and maybe another great athlete in Kirk and you have the makings of a very good team.
    I know Matt has said that Willis may be the key – but I think it’s Poythress. If Alex returns and is the Alex Poythress I saw early in his Freshman year, we can be a final four team. However, if Alex returns and is the stand-offish, hide-from-the-ball player he’s been for much of the past 2 seasons he’s played, then we might be very average. Alex MUST return with a fire burning in his belly; he must demand the ball and show that he is a BEAST!! If he can do that – watch out.
    This is the make or break year for Derek Willis – if he doesn’t live in the gym from now until the end of next season, then he simply does not want to be a great player. He has the talent, but he must get stronger and commit himself to getting better and more confident. If he’s not willing to do that, then he might as well transfer to Murray or Morehead now. Personally, I think Derek accepts the challenge and becomes the player this team needs him to be.
    All that being said–sign Jamal Murray and we are an exceptional team next year. This kid is the best shooting guard I’ve seen in a LONG time. I think he’s better than Booker as an overall player; more mature physically, can take you to the rim off the dribble, and has unlimited range. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this kid.

• satcheluk
      7:15 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

Your assertion would make sense if anyone returned, but no one did, so that point is moot.

11. Good Times
    8:09 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

So, I guess starting 5 will be

PG – Ulis
    SG – Briscoe
    SF – Mulder / Poythress
    PF – Poythress / Lee
    C – Skal

Bench – Willis, Hawkins and Mulder or Lee
    Not ideal for Skal to be our center as it would have been nice to use him at the 4 similar to WCS. Also, not sure how well Briscoe shoots offense may actually flow better with Mulder at the 2 if shots aren’t falling. Generally I see our offense struggling next year. Outside of Ulis none of the returning players can create their own shot, so this will be a year where much more is expected from the newcomers

12. Good Times
    8:15 pm April 28, 2015 Permalink

And of course I just see the new post. Sat that I left off Charles Matthews as a bench contributor