YETI Coolers’ Tuesday Morning Wakeup

If you own a YETI cooler, there is a very strong chance I hate you. I know I’m in the minority here, but I think the creation of the YETI cooler is the absolute worst thing to happen in America and it will one day destroy all of civilization.

Let me explain: YETI coolers are incredibly overpriced and the hype surrounding them needs to chill the **** out. Sure, it’s a very nice cooler, but people act like it’s the telephone or the printing press or the wheel. It’s not even the ShamWow or Awesome Auger. It’s a cooler. It’s an expensive cooler. It holds ice and things that need to be kept cold. My Coleman’s been doing that for over two decades without problem and I didn’t spend $400 on it.

“But it holds ice for up to four days!”

Awesome, man. Good for you and your ice. Name the last time you tailgated for four days.

“It’s bear-proof!”

Why are you drinking around bears??!!! You got a death wish?

Ugh I hate them so much. I’m getting all worked up thinking about them right now. Maybe it’s because I spent the last two days in Madisonville, where people treat a YETI like the Hope Diamond, but it drives me absolutely nuts. Never seen so much excitement around a plastic ice chest. I hope every YETI owner in the world loses their prized possession within a month of paying too much for it. And I hope they lose it to a bear.

I hate you, YETI. You suck. (Although I will make an exception for the koozies. Those are acceptable.)

Let’s talk sports…

Rawle Alkins shined in last night’s adidas Nation title game.

The UK target and future Big Blue Madness visitor scored a game-high 26 points for Team Rose in the championship victory over Team Wall. Alkins took home MVP honors after connecting on six of his eight three-point attempts.

Kobi Simmons added 19 points, six assists and zero turnovers in the win. Markelle Fultz had 16 in the losing effort on 7-of-25 shooting.

It’s almost time for fall football camp.

The Cats have two more days off before they report for fall camp on Thursday, signaling the official beginning of the 2015 season. Friday is Media Day and the doors will open for Fan Day on Saturday.

Football is finally here!

I love this Sacramento Suicide Squad video.

Jason Gallagher over at Grantland made a video for the Kings’ potentially “suicidal” 2015-16 season.

As the resident Kings fan around here, I love the Suicide Squad angle and parody. Very well done.

UK’s latest football commit looks good in his new uniform.

Boogie Watson became the 22nd member in Mark Stoops’ 2016 recruiting class last night. The outside linebacker from Maryland tried on the UK jersey while visiting campus last month.

Though he doesn’t have a long list of offers or an impressive ranking in the class, the staff loves his athleticism and potential. Now it’s time to add one more to the class and work to hold it all together over the next six or so months.

KSR is in McKee today!

Matt and the gang will be at the Old Courthouse beginning at 10:00 am.

Article written by Drew Franklin

45 Comments for YETI Coolers’ Tuesday Morning Wakeup

1. Shelby
    8:17 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

I once knew a guy who wore a rolex; he bragged that it cost over a thousand dollars; i asked him what time it was. He said “2:30”. I looked at my timex and said said “damn, this cost 30$ at walmart and it says the same thing”

• nybrasky
      9:31 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Unless it cost well over a thousand dollars, then he was wearing a fake rolex too.

• satcheluk
      12:54 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

Except I paid $5000 for my Rolex about 15 years ago and I could sell it for at least that much today. Who’d pay $10 for your timex?

2. Duuuuuude
    8:26 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

It use to be that you would steel somebody’s cooler to get their beer. Now you steel their beer to get their cooler.

3. Random Thought
    8:28 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

You remember when Drew’s content was worth reading? Yeah, me neither.

• Drew Franklin
      10:55 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Yet you keep reading.

• inside info2
      11:38 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Drew, you have to admit, it just seems like you are posting as little as possible to get your post done so you can finish your burrito and go back to sleep. It has been like this for awhile. Maybe you need an extended vacation away from the site to see if you still have love for it.

• Ha!
      1:23 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

Still here, even though you criticize the entire staff and the way they run things. Funny…

4. secrick
    8:50 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Sorry you can’t afford a nice cooler Drew, maybe we can take a collection for you.

5. Yeti
    8:52 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

There goes your Yeti advertisement.

6. bill
    9:04 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

I got a Yeti a few months back. Was $250 not $400. I used it all week at the beach and purchased ice two times in 7 days. Drove back on saturday with iced up cooler for 10 hours and monday when I cleaned out cooler bagged up the remaining ice left over (two kroger bags full) and put in freezer for next use.

Ice is $4 a bag. If you use a cooler a lot its easy to see that this is worth the investment.

Quit hating because you are a poor.

• Dizzyd2k3
      9:41 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Well that was rude!

• Coleman cooler
      10:40 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

If you use a cooler everyday, this argument might be worthy. But if you are a frat boy who only uses it to tailgate, then no. It would take 5 years to get your money back on the ice argument. Lets be real, its a status symbol. Plain and simple!

7. RealCatsFan
    9:07 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Let’s face it, folks, overpriced stuff like the YETI are just another d!ck measuring contest for rich people (or those not so rich with no common sense ) to beat their chest. I just laugh at them and remember that old adage about a fool and his money. Won’t be long before the Chinese copies are in the local Wally World. And they will probably work just as well!

8. SmuckshaveYetis
    9:22 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Right on Drew!!! I have a Coleman that I purchased from the Dollar Store about 15 years ago and it works just as good as a Yeti. I guess people think they’re really special for paying $250-400 for a cooler. I’m just smarter than that.

• JustSmarter
      10:53 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

What? Saying a Coleman works as good as a Yeti is like saying a Yugo is as good as a Corvette. You like your Coleman? Great! But I use my Yeti a lot and like it as well and it was and is worth the extra I paid for it. I don’t what makes you think you’re smarter just because you bought a cheap cooler. And I agree with 3., I don’t remember anything Drew wrote really worth reading.

9. The Water Boy
    9:24 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

QQ

Man up. Buy the Yeti cooler. And enjoy cold beverages. Those of you knocking Yeti have not tried their product line. That stuff would keep ice on Mercury.

10. Rich
    9:28 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

When you can sit a “coleman” in direct sunlight for hours on time, like I do every weekend at Cumberland in the summer with as much ice as when you started then come talk to me.

11. nybrasky
    9:33 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

I agree. Why don’t you just pick up the pace and drink your beer before the ice melts?

Drew, what are your thoughts on the Big Green Egg?

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      10:04 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Even though I don’t own one, the Big Green Egg is beyond reproach.

12. Catsby80
    9:38 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

I think if you are just taking the cooler to tailgates and various other one-day events, then yeah you probably don’t need a yeti… But if you’re taking it to the lake or to the beach or whatever, and you make these kinds of trips regularly, then it might be a good investment… Just my 2 cents… A lot of angry elves on the message boards this morning.

13. UKFan9
    9:45 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Yeti coolers are not made for tailgates…they’re made for outdoorsmen. If you kill wild game in the field and can’t get to a freezer for a few days, your Coleman cooler won’t help you. This is Yeti’s are made for…not for taking beer to a buddy’s house.

• Coleman cooler
      10:45 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Outdororsman? have you lifted one? They are unbelievably heavy. Outdooresman pack light!

• UKFan9
      10:53 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Yes…I have 2. You keep them at camp. You don’t carry them around with you.

14. MADARCHITECT
    10:00 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

I won my YETI. Do you still hate a free YETI?

(Can’t wait until football season so the nonsensical articles will slow down)

15. hater
    10:05 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

My yeti coozie has saved me money already. I never pour out an inch of warm beer any more. Simply amazing. Yeti reminds me of Bose, cost more and worth it.

• Catsby80
      10:38 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

whoa… you pour out beer? not cool, dude… not cool.

• Guzzler
      10:42 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

What is this inch of warm beer you reference? I have not heard of this issue unless you are a sorority sister. Drink like a man and it’s cold to the last drop you wuss.

16. Fab5
    10:07 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

I think his point is the people who buy these coolers and have no intention of using them for what they are designed to do. Just like the person that only grills hot dogs, burgers, steaks on their Green Eggs instead of buying a perfectly good Weber. Yetis do have an advantage so do Green Eggs, but I would be willing to bet that almost 40% – 50% of YETI purchasers have no need of owning one.

17. No1curr
    10:09 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

Or you can all grow up and not give a crap about what people spend their money on. Who cares?

18. Scott
    10:49 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

When you work in the hot sun all day then you want cold drinks. An off brand cooler will just simply not keep ice in kentucky in the summer for more than half a day. I fill up my yeti roadie with ice and drinks once every 3 days. I also bought it cuz i like the fact i will have this cooler the rest of my life. I also am going to take it on tailgates because its a goodlooking product and is a conversation starter. If that makes a person shallow and wasteful of there money then who cares. My yeti is the shit.

• Scott
      10:50 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

I am also a “frat boy” and i can guarantee you i work in hotter and harder conditions than all of you people saying negative things about something you just dont want to fork up the money and buy a quality product.

• Big Cat
      10:58 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

I sweat a lot and need a cold beer every few minutes. This cooler keeps my beer cold and keeps me hydrated. Drew stick to Twitter

• piedma schwartz
      3:34 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

My fridge is upstairs, my man cave/entertainment room is in the finished basement.

My yeti filled with beer is in the basement too.

Now I don’t have to buy two refridgerators

19. No1curr
    11:04 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

No different than buying and wearing those fancy Ray-bans you’re seen wearing in your Twitter pics Drew. You could wear cheap 20 dollar sunglasses that block the sun just fine.

20. Outdoorsman
    11:05 am August 4, 2015 Permalink

UKFan9 has it right, Yetis are really designed for situations where you will not be near ice for an extended period of time. Perfect example is a 21 day raft trip thru the Grand Canyon. If you want to eat meat and drink cold beer for the whole trip (and I know I do) then a Yeti is worth the money. Pro tip – for that trip or similar get the block of ice instead of cubes.

• UKFan9
      1:09 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

Thx…I don’t think Drew should say, “I hate you, Yeti. You suck.” He just hates the choches that buy them just to say they own one. Yeti puts out awesome products that are absolutely necessary for those using it as they were designed. For those people, it’s a need, not a want.

21. Cletis1975
    12:01 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

I don’t give a Damn about coolers. Buy what you want. We live in a free country given to us by heroes who have risked and or gave their lives for our right to do so. Screw Drew for making coolers an issue. Thank you Boogie Watson for committing to play for our beloved big blue. That’s what the site should have more about. Athletes giving their time and effort for our viewing pleasure. Not about rich or poor but our common goals of seeing our teams fighting to win.

22. Justin
    12:23 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

I really don’t care about the Yetis one way or another, but its pretty sad to see how the part of this post that you put the most effort into was complaining about a cooler. If only you put that kind of effort into the rest of your posts.

23. HUBER
    12:27 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

Yo Drew, love the post buddy. You are a Yeti guy if I ever saw one. Any chance we can do some Yeti advertising on KSR now that we are a dealer? I was thinking a whole football tailgate ad with Honda Generators, Strongback camping chairs, and Yeti coolers. Lets chat.

24. Catsby80
    12:28 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

It is funny to me to see how much bitching occurs on these message boards. It is the middle of the summer.. There isn’t a lot of news to report… And call me crazy, but this thread generated over 30 comments and an unknown amount of clicks, which they can report to their advertisers as a positive to generate more money…

25. satcheluk
    1:06 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

I got a “Bumble” cooler from Big Lots.

• RC
      1:25 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

Bravo! Best comment yet. Yeti jokes are harder to land than you’d think. Here’s your winner, people.

26. secrick
    1:31 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

Hell Drew i was only kidding with my first post, sorry i said it now. Stay thirsty my friend.

27. staythirsty
    1:57 pm August 4, 2015 Permalink

luv to have a Yeti tried out the Canyon Cooler, less status, better built, better value, didn’t look back. Yeti is for frat boys.